Auto Ordnance M1 Questions

i have been looking at one recently, I hate AO, hate'm. Had a bad experiance with a 1911 of theirs, buta fter minor tweaking it works flawlessly. I was woundering, has anyone here used one or have any experiance with one? I was woundering abotu reliability and accuracy.
-Thanks
James G.

You have to be carefull where you buy it. I went looking for one and a couple of places [ that I won't name ] tried to sell me the Birch stock one for more money then other places were selling the walnut stock one for.

I've read stuff here and there that either commend or condemn the AO Carbine. Some people complained of constant failures while others love them.
With the flood of USGI carbines some people are sure to not like what they got. You should be able to get a "real" one for close to what an AO will cost you.

I agree with Jonj. While the reports of the AO carbine are good, why not get a real one from CMP for less money?

The one reason I can think of is that the new AO would have a warranty, which could save time and money if
there is a problem. I don't know what the CMP policy is for problems after you buy.

CMP service is superb but there is no warranty beyond what you find broken when you get it. It is after all a 50-60 year old used battle rifle. You're also buying a piece of US history when you purchase from the CMP.
If you're concerned about a warranty and service and only want a shooter, go with the AO.
One of my CMP Garands arrived with a broken spring. I called them and they overnighted a new one to me.

AO problems

I too had problems with their 1911. AO customer service was friendly, but useless. After two trips back to solve the same problem (and being out a ton of shipping costs) the gun still was horrible. I finally sold it and took the loss. In my opinion a waranty is only as good as the company that backs them.
I would second the notion on a CMP gun.
Good luck!

Two recent experiences with "commercial" carbines:

AO: picked it up off the rack at a gun store, and tried to check out the sight picture. The ventilated metal handguard was so out of spec, you couldn't see the front sight post! Might be tough to shoot that one...

Universal: Watched a guy try to shoot a 3-gun match with his carbine. Must have mis-fed over a dozen times. While it could have been a magazine problem, I wonder....

Do yourself a favor, and go USGI. People have been saying that for years, and there must be a reason. As for warranty concerns - do a good job inspecting the rifle at the start, and be prepared to replace worn parts as needed. They aren't that expensive, and there are a bunch of online vendors selling them.

I got mine from Charles Hadley of South Portland at one of the many gun shows he frequents. He's the guy with three tall racks full of M1 Carbines. You can call him to discuss carbine choices, but be prepared for a long phone conversation - he is the local expert, in my opinion.

I appreciate all your help and advise. I have one problem though, because my family is primarily anti-gun, I can't openly purchase a gun, and cmp is about as openly as I can think. Is there some gun shop localy that sells carbines for a decent cost?

-James G

Email sent.

Check there and Collector's in Stoneham. In addition give Terry Goode in Pelham NH a call, he specializes in mil-surp and is a good guy (no pun intended).

Terry Goode
Collectors Firearms & Militaria
122 Bridge St., Unit 9
Pelham, NH 03076
(603) 635-9699

Back
Top Bottom