Auto installation

I am looking for someone or a company, that can install a two meter rig, in a Toyota Camry.

Wisht it were so simple! Have a look at http://www.k0bg.com/ for all you would ever need to know about the topic.

Anyone can install it, but will it work well?

Honestly, it's a "Right-of-Passage" to do it yourself and work out the kinks.

Or go to a commercial 2-way Radio shop and ask them to do an install for a HAM radio. They will look at you like you are an idiot, take your money, and there you go...

Hi MaverickNH;

Your correct it is a "right of passage." I've installed many a radio over the years. But these cars nowadays are just so cramped for room, wiring that is inconceivable, and little boxes that I have no idea what they do. I figured it was time to let someone with the right tools, and knowledge, do the job. But, if all else fails, I will be on my back trying to run power leads, and cable.

Tucker

I know the cars are tight these days and there are lots of onboard computers and crap like that but you should try and do it yourself. It won't be that hard if you think about it for a while and have a plan. Most rigs these days have a removable face plate. You can probably install the actual radio in the trunk and I"m sure you can find or run 12 volts back there. In all likely hood your antenna will be somewhere at the rear of the car so the wiring should be simple enough. A lip mount for the trunk lid is an easy solution. From there you'll only need to run two wires to the passenger compartment for the faceplate and speaker. Easy as pie!!

ETA Industrial strength velcro works wonders for the faceplates

Protip for the OP: Go to a GOOD car stereo place and tell them you want them to run a pair of 8 gauge (yes kids this is overkill, but he should have robust wire for expansion) wires into your car through the firewall on the passengers side, so it comes down behind the glovebox. Have them leave a good amount of slack at each end. Tell them to weatherpoof/caulk where it passes through the firewall. The rest of the stuff you should really be able to figure out yourself, particularly if you're going for a trunk mounted antenna, etc. Getting the power through the firewall is the bitch part, everything else is ez mode compared to that.

ETA: Unless you're using a remote head rig, as a fellow Camry owner, you're gonna find most of the possible mounting options suck, although I've been contemplating putting one of my V8000s underneath the glovebox, as I can still run most of the stuff on the radio with just the mic.

-Mike

Last edited:
My biggest problem with doing anything to the car is all the plastic panels. I can never figure out where the snap fasteners are or in what order the panels need to come off. I figure I'll do cosmetic damage to the panels getting them off.

The wiring is the easy part, where do you want the antenna to mount? Is it going to be permanent or a mag mount?

I used Commtronics in Quincy to install my vhf/uhf rig in my CRV. They roof mounted an NMO connection and ran all power and coax to a point under driver side seat. FT 7900 stays put to carpet using two small strips of Velcro. Control head mounted between seats using flex Al mount (HRO).
Currently using Comet SB7 NMO 2m 70cm antenna. I connected the audio to AUX of car stereo (mono to stereo adapter). Plenty of audio for my bad ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to you do it and picked up 20' of 8 ga. silicone insulated wire in black and red. I already had cat5e wire crimps. Got some surface mount connection boxes, and some 1/8" jacks. Ran the power wires to a fuse holder for a large amp to the battery. Strung the wire through the fender then through the Power feed into the cabin at the drivers a-frame. From there ran it along the sill all the way into the trunk to a power block. I ran 2 network cables back to the drivers side out the b-pillar under the drivers seat up the console to where I mounted the surface mount block. Yaesu only uses 6 conductors for the faceplate. However, you still need speaker. I split out 2wires for audio and wired them to the female jack, the other 6 wires went to the 6 conductor phone jack. Repeat that box in the trunk. Only I ran 2 wires and installed 2 jacks I case I got the desire to mount 2 radios.

A little planning, and a neat install is possible without dropping a ton of $$$. Every once in a while a spying eye will ask me why I have cat 5e sticking out from under my seat.

If I get really ambitious, I'll post some pics.

Back
Top Bottom