AUTISM FUNDRAISER MATCH HARVARD SPORTSMEN'S CLUB 4-07-12

Had an awesome time at the match Sat. Great job by all and an excellent cause too! Felt great to get outside again and see some people I haven't seen in 6 months or so.

We had a young man shooting on our squad. He was 13. I was very impressed with his confidence and gun handling skills. He was awesome to watch.

P.S. I hate no shoot penalties. I ruined my "clean" match on Stage 6. [crying]

Skipping a target costs you a total of 40 points. You lose out on the 10 points you would've gotten for 2 A hits, get a -10 failure to engage penalty, and 2 -10 miss penalties.

Yes, not engaging causes hose-age. [laugh]

I strolled right by one of the bastards on stage 3 I think. I KNEW I did it too (about 3 seconds after I had moved past it) and I should have told the RO I was going to back up and safely move back uprange and engage it, the time would have been bad but at least I wouldn't have been whacked 40 points.

The worst part about it is the whole time before the run I was developing a plan in my brain I was concentrating on making sure I got those two targets because I knew I would forget them. I blame it on not getting enough sleep the night before. [laugh]

-Mike

Which no-shoot did you tag on 6? 2 and 5 were the ones I was worried about, and my times show it.

It was the no shoot in front of the partial target with the hard cover. I hit the no shoot and when I went to make up the shot I hit it again splitting the perf thus getting a second penalty and my scoring hit on the target. Bummer. It would have been a decent stage for me. I need to do a better job of not rushing out of shooting positions before finishing my shots. [wink]

The worst part about it is the whole time before the run I was developing a plan in my brain I was concentrating on making sure I got those two targets because I knew I would forget them. I blame it on not getting enough sleep the night before. [laugh]

-Mike

The buzzer has a tendency of erasing short term memory. Any plans made for the stage are long gone.

Yeah, buzzer brain is a serious condition. For me I generally shoot my stages according to plan OK, but I tend to rush myself.

All the shooting memories are terrific and the fundamental reason why we head out to the range, but this match was of course a little different and had an ulterior motive. We don't usually talk numbers on pubic forums, but I thought you all should know what an impact you have had on the local Autism community. Total expenses are limited to the fees sent to USPSA which currently amount to $375 for this match (targets, tape, and stuff will just get eaten by the HSC/HAS).

Preliminary numbers indicate that we'll be delivering a check just over $6,750 to the Nicholas James Foundation for the support of autism programs in local schools. This local connection means that you may very well see students using materials and technology that were purchased with the proceeds of your effort.

I believe that this is an outstanding accomplishment for a plain-jane monthly match. You all are the BEST. You represent the best in the shooting sports and the best of our community. Thank you very much for supporting this event. And of course, a huge thank you to Stacy for making this happen.

Excellent to hear Dan. well done.

BTW. There was a pair of hearing protection in the trash barrel next to the sign-in trailer. If you know know who may have lost them, have them contact me.

Michael.

Preliminary numbers indicate that we'll be delivering a check just over $6,750 to the Nicholas James Foundation for the support of autism programs in local schools. This local connection means that you may very well see students using materials and technology that were purchased with the proceeds of your effort.

So awesome to hear this Dan!

Awesome. Any desire / effort to get some press on this? Might be nice to get a positive story about the shooting sports in some MA news outlets.

Fantastic [cheers]

All the shooting memories are terrific and the fundamental reason why we head out to the range, but this match was of course a little different and had an ulterior motive. We don't usually talk numbers on pubic forums, but I thought you all should know what an impact you have had on the local Autism community. Total expenses are limited to the fees sent to USPSA which currently amount to $375 for this match (targets, tape, and stuff will just get eaten by the HSC/HAS).

I believe that this is an outstanding accomplishment for a plain-jane monthly match. You all are the BEST. You represent the best in the shooting sports and the best of our community. Thank you very much for supporting this event. And of course, a huge thank you to Stacy for making this happen.

Thank you all so much, This is amazing!

Preliminary numbers indicate that we'll be delivering a check just over $6,750 to the Nicholas James Foundation for the support of autism programs in local schools.

Thus proving that a Harvard fundraiser is much more effective than a baked sale.

Nice work and a great time on the part of Harvard.

Awesome. Any desire / effort to get some press on this? Might be nice to get a positive story about the shooting sports in some MA news outlets.

The Shooting Wire publishes most relevant press released - I'm sending Dan the details.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom