"ATF targets gun dealers..." here we go!

Apologies if it's a dupe - couldn't find it. From MSNBC:

snip...
Labeled “law enforcement sensitive,” it calls for ATF agents to put more emphasis on monitoring the activities of U.S. guns stores and other federally licensed firearms dealers who may be assisting or turning a blind eye to gun purchases by drug cartel operatives. The report describes such “corrupt” U.S. firearms dealers as “high value targets” -- a phrase that could rile gun rights groups and their supporters in Congress who charge ATF is already too aggressive in regulating the firearms industry.

linkie http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39345370/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Let me just say that I have no problem nailing the dirtballs to the wall who knowingly and willingly illegally sell firearms, etc. Let's just see how they go about this.

Apologies if it's a dupe - couldn't find it. From MSNBC:

snip...

linkie http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39345370/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Let me just say that I have no problem nailing the dirtballs to the wall who knowingly and willingly illegally sell firearms, etc. Let's just see how they go about this.

Actually I DO have a problem with ATF going after anyone selling guns TO anyone.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone should be able to sell guns to anyone else with pretty much no restrictions, no red tape, no license, no nothing.

I mean in all honesty, if it became perfectly legal for gun dealers to sell to felons tomorrow, do you think there would actually be an uptick in crime? I don't.

The people who are going to get a gun and use it in a crime are going to do so regardless of the laws we set up to stop them. You could instantly disappear every firearm on the North American continent tomorrow and next week the cartels would be getting shipments from Romania or Kazakhstan or wherever.

I'm not aware of the ATF serving ANY legitimate function that couldn't be done by the FBI and I am sure that 90% of the ATF's job consists of hassling gun dealers, setting up B.S. "sting" operations trying to catch someone with a sawed-off shotgun or similarly time-wasting, non-productive enterprises.

If we spent the entire ATF budget on incarcerating violent criminals for DECADES instead of 2-3 years, we'd get a lot more crime reduction. It's not the object

I'm not aware of the ATF serving ANY legitimate function that couldn't be done by the FBI and I am sure that 90% of the ATF's job consists of hassling gun dealers, setting up B.S. "sting" operations trying to catch someone with a sawed-off shotgun or similarly time-wasting, non-productive enterprises.

Big govt at its finest.

I can think of... wait, you said legitimate.

Seriously, the ATF should be a superstore, not an agency.

A good example or justification of the crackdown as cited in the story!

After that seizure, ATF traced a dozen of the assault rifles to a single firearms dealer operating out of his home in Henderson, Nev. On March 29, the dealer had sold the assault rifles to a Mexican national who had worked at a Las Vegas area Jack in the Box. The buyer purchased them for cash under a phony name, using a doctored driver’s license borrowed from a former co worker at the restaurant, according to Tom Chittum, the resident agent in charge of ATF’s Las Vegas office. Just 38 days later, the same high-powered assault rifles were at the Zetas training camp in Higueras, Mexico, 70 miles south of the U.S. border, he said.

The weapons “were purchased with the intent of supplying the (drug) traffickers in Mexico -- I don’t think there’s any dispute about that,” said Chittum. The Mexican national, his father and his brother have all been charged with illegal weapons purchases in the case.

No charges have been filed against the firearms dealer and he is not accused of any wrongdoing.

Actually I DO have a problem with ATF going after anyone selling guns TO anyone...

If we spent the entire ATF budget on incarcerating violent criminals for DECADES instead of 2-3 years, we'd get a lot more crime reduction. It's not the object

Another great post! Speaking of jack-booted thugs, I watched a show on "Bio", and it was William Shattner interviewing Sarah Weaver. Man, what a story. I don't think that poor woman will ever get over the sight of seeing an armed ATF intruder murdering her family. (And I won't either!)

Time to abolish the ATF and the DEA

Absolutely!

"an ATF initiative that involves dispatching teams of agents known as Gunrunner Impact Teams (or GRITs)"

I've grown so disdainful of this organization, its "operators" (gag) and its (mis)management, that even the f***ing acronyms piss me off these days. Every time these toolboxes string a clumsy phrase together, someone pays the price.

I'm not aware of the ATF serving ANY legitimate function that couldn't be done by the FBI

Sure, the purpose of the ATF has/is to provide a means to carry out the "final solution" whereby, when the time is right (i.e. Obama's 2nd term), the Democrats implement comprehensive gun confiscation. Its not like a giant machine like the ATF can just be setup overnight without protests and alarm. Therefore, you have to keep that kind of thing around for decades so that it can spring into action at the proper moment.

Practically, the way this would work is that congress will pass a law banning all pistols, rifles and shotguns with a barrel less than 96" by updating the NFA. Oh, and they will redefine a destructive device as any caliber greater than 0.01, down from 0.50. Or, they will ban any projectile with a muzzle energy greater than 1 Joule.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom