• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

At home Parkerizing

I want to parkerize a 03 for a friend. I wanted to ask if anyone has used any of the Calvan products. They have several types and colors, and sizes.
Any input will be greatly appreciated
Thank you,
Tackleberry

I have used both types zinc phosphate (grey) and manganese phosphating (blacker) I currently am using solution from Laur that I ordered from midway. there are lots of guides on the net if you google. You will need a heat source as you have to get the soulution up to 180-190 deg F and it is best to preheat the item. (you also MUST degrease it and blast it, I use aluminum oxide) then you dunk the part in the hot solution till done to the shade you want. You need stainless tanks. (I use a stainless pot for small parts and a cooking cafeteria tray for large parts. ) for a full action and barrel you are looking at a large tank. you will also need to plug the barrel on both ends so the etch will not get in the barrel. once done you pull it out rinse and oil.

Thank you I will look into doing it myself, but it sounds like it will cost me more to set it up than to have some one else do it for me.
But thank you all again
Tackleberry

Back
Top Bottom