• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Assisted opening knife

, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle. So this means any assisted knife is illegal in Ma.

There is case law out there stating that assisted openers are not automatic knives because they require you to begin the process of opening the knife with your finger pushing the blade. Do I think the case law would save you on MA? I don't know. I carry a manual knife in MA...lol.

http://www.beverlyma.gov/docs/dm/Rev2012-1201.pdf. Section 22.14. The Spyderco Delica having a 2.875" blade exceeds Beverly's local blade length limit of 2.5", hence it isn't legal to carry in the town of Beverly.

Edited to be less of a dick in my response.

Thank you. It wasn't clear to me from your prior post if you were referring to MGL or local law. I advise everyone to check local bylaws for the town they live in. Personally I can't be bothered trying to find bylaws for every town I drive thru or stop in (as a NR of said town), but YMMV.

Back in the late-1960s I had an "interesting conversation" with Cambridge PD about local bylaws! I was a NU Co-op at MIT/Instrumentation Labs (now Draper Labs) and ended up with (IIRC) 7 parking tickets ("overtime parking" on street parking, no meters) over ~3 weeks time. So I called Cambridge PD to understand why. I was told that local bylaws prohibited parking >2 hours, so I asked why it wasn't posted and the answer was that they didn't have to post it as it was a local bylaw!! For you youngsters [wink] back then there was no Internet [shocked] so the only way to know this stuff was to pay a visit to City Hall and seek them out to read thru them . . . something that nobody who worked there but lived elsewhere would do. This was a huge motivator for me to go back to my Co-Op advisor at NU and tell him that I would NOT be returning to work at MIT/IL and he should work at finding me another Co-op job that was NOT in Cambridge.

I'm sure that a DA could jam someone up with that definition, although many/most will not interpret the Kershaw or Wave knives as meeting that definition of an illegal knife.

http://www.beverlyma.gov/docs/dm/Rev2012-1201.pdf. Section 22.14. The Spyderco Delica having a 2.875" blade exceeds Beverly's local blade length limit of 2.5", hence it isn't legal to carry in the town of Beverly.

Edited to be less of a dick in my response.

Why would you know that, I've lived in Beverly for 24 years and I had know idea. I'd better grind an 1/8" off of my Kershaw Leek I carry in my boot before I go home tonight.

Reading a couple different threads about the wave feature has made me consider grinding mine off my Emerson just to avoid the potential aggravation.

Please, for the love of god, just sell it to someone else before you go full retard and destroy a perfectly good knife.

This reminds me of a thread here where someone threw some magazines in a fireplace because they were "afraid" of them being postban. [rolleyes]

-Mike

Please, for the love of god, just sell it to someone else before you go full retard and destroy a perfectly good knife.

This reminds me of a thread here where someone threw some magazines in a fireplace because they were "afraid" of them being postban. [rolleyes]

-Mike

I wouldn't take a grinder to my Emerson. I should have used an emoticon to indicate I wasn't serious. I just carry it anyway.

, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle. So this means any assisted knife is illegal in Ma.

No, you have to touch the blade on an Assisted Opener. Thus it does not open from the handle.

I'm sure that a DA could jam someone up with that definition, although many/most will not interpret the Kershaw or Wave knives as meeting that definition of an illegal knife.

I've seen them both ways, DA's don't understand the law. I've won cases on the issue, usually requires an expert.

I rocked a benchmade until I left in a rental car. Called them 10 mind after I dropped it off to see if they had it and nope. Typical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone can get jammed up if they want to jam you up. Having more time to read the citation "drawn in a locked position" doesn't seem to apply because as shown in the video, the knife opens outside of the pocket after it has been drawn from the pocket. Who knows. Subject to the whim of the persecuting attorney. If you are getting jammed up for an Emerson wave, you probably have bigger problems. After the stabbing incident, we can expect everyone more BS knife restrictions soon. I am getting too old to care... I guess that is why we still might (occasionally) need lawyers. [grin]
White Feather
Edit: meant prosecuting but persecuting looks more like reality.

Last edited:
The fact that we need to be "worried" or aware of city ordinances and individual town laws is asinine. Carry what you want and keep your knife in your pocket.
Just as with firearms, concealed means concealed.

ZOMG he's got a 3" blade and the ordinance says he can only have a 2.5" blade. JFC

I carry a Buck Quickfire, it's taken a lot of abuse over the years. http://www.amazon.com/Buck-QuickFire-Knife-Silver-7-Inch/dp/B001AC19CA

I like that SOG Trident TheCrowing...

The fact that we need to be "worried" or aware of city ordinances and individual town laws is asinine. Carry what you want and keep your knife in your pocket.
Just as with firearms, concealed means concealed.

ZOMG he's got a 3" blade and the ordinance says he can only have a 2.5" blade. JFC

+1

-Mike

Troy thread? [laugh]

TroyIndustriesforJBTbyJBT2.jpg

Last edited:
I've played with assisted open knives a few times, and while I like the convenience of the opening, in every one of the knives I've tried with it, I find that the spring mechanism makes them much more difficult to close. In every case it's been necessary to use 2 hands or to close it against my leg. Because of that, I greatly prefer other methods, such as what's on my Spyderco Manix. A simple flick of the wrist with the lock button depressed gets the knife open just as well as one with a spring assist, but it's also just as easy to close using the same technique.

On a wave-type knife, simply removing it from your pocket opens and locks the blade. MA says that's a no-no. [thinking]

An assisted opening knife requires the user to actuate the blade with a thumb or finger. See the difference?

Thanks
I thought that, but couldn't see how with the video. Is there a lever on the side that catches the pocket or....?

I've played with assisted open knives a few times, and while I like the convenience of the opening, in every one of the knives I've tried with it, I find that the spring mechanism makes them much more difficult to close. In every case it's been necessary to use 2 hands or to close it against my leg. Because of that, I greatly prefer other methods, such as what's on my Spyderco Manix. A simple flick of the wrist with the lock button depressed gets the knife open just as well as one with a spring assist, but it's also just as easy to close using the same technique.

I have 3 kershaw (leek, scallion, black clash) and one ZT-350CB, all are spring assist, and I can close them all with the same hand I opened them with.

-Mike

Thanks
I thought that, but couldn't see how with the video. Is there a lever on the side that catches the pocket or....?

The little "bottle opener" on top. [smile]
White Feather

- - - Updated - - -

Everything is illegal in Massachusetts. You should turn yourself in, now. [wink]

No $hit, avoid the rush...
White Feather

"Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction."

I bolded the applicable section of the law you referenced. Is a Wave feature a device? As I said earlier, I would argue that it's a feature, but I also wouldn't want to be in court facing a 2 1/2 year misdemeanor arguing that point. The law as it was originally written was used to address the cases that were briefly popular years ago that allowed one to draw a Buck 110, opening it as it came out of the case. Here's a link to a guy that currently makes those sheaths. It's hard to picture without seeing one in action. http://www.quickdrawsheath.com/Quick_Draw_Store/HOME.html

The Emerson Wave is not a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position. The user manually opens the blade with his pants pocket. The wave can't open the knife without manually hooking it on something, if anything the pocket is the device.

Last edited:
The Emerson Wave is not a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position. The user manually opens the blade with his pants pocket. The wave can't open the knife with manually hooking it on something, if anything the pocket is the device.

Ban pockets!
48385377.jpg
White Feather

The law as it was originally written was used to address the cases that were briefly popular years ago that allowed one to draw a Buck 110, opening it as it came out of the case. Here's a link to a guy that currently makes those sheaths. It's hard to picture without seeing one in action. http://www.quickdrawsheath.com/Quick_Draw_Store/HOME.html

This sheath is reason enough to GTFO of Assachusetts. Or not move back in like the OP in the other thread.

For me, simpler is better. That includes knives, vehicles and appliances as well as firearms. My 4" Cold Steel "Voyager" folder, with lock blade and thumb stud, opens just as quickly as an AO without the under-tension spring that can take a set and fail at an inopportune time. Most lock-blade folders are also less expensive than AOs, so that is also an advantage.

"Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction."

I bolded the applicable section of the law you referenced. Is a Wave feature a device? As I said earlier, I would argue that it's a feature, but I also wouldn't want to be in court facing a 2 1/2 year misdemeanor arguing that point. The law as it was originally written was used to address the cases that were briefly popular years ago that allowed one to draw a Buck 110, opening it as it came out of the case. Here's a link to a guy that currently makes those sheaths. It's hard to picture without seeing one in action. http://www.quickdrawsheath.com/Quick_Draw_Store/HOME.html

This, but you're gonna need to go to trial to present that evidence

Do you have little girl hands? My AOs are very easy to close one handed

Back
Top Bottom