• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Assisted opening knife

This website http://www.knifeup.com/massachusetts-knife-law/ suggests that:

No Limits on Class A Licenses

Section J of the law states that, if you have a class A license, you can carry any knife (and gun) you would like. The law here is very relaxed and says you can even carry loaded semi-automatic rifles if you have a Class A license.

But I can't see that exception there - can you?

Section J of the law states that, if you have a class A license, you can carry any knife (and gun) you would like. The law here is very relaxed and says you can even carry loaded semi-automatic rifles if you have a Class A license.

That cite (and site) is full of fail.

AFAIK, the only locality that uses an LTC for knife carry credentials is Worcester (Class A exempts one from the City's blade-length restriction).

The thing says, "License to Carry Firearms". NOT"...and knives, and point-ed sticks"

According to the site, one can "carry" a semi-automatic rifle with an LTC-A. [rolleyes].

"You can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true..."

[laugh]

What asshat wrote that? AFAIK, after reading through the applicable laws many times (always in the hope that they'll magically make sense! :) ) all a Class A does for you is allow you to purchase, possess and carry what the commonwealth defines as "large capacity" firearms. I just pulled my permit out of my wallet because it made me curious. It specifically states large capacity firearms. Is this guy interpreting the law as Massachusetts thinks knives are guns?

No, Section J states you cannot carry a firearm on school property. FAIL.

Haha, your pocket is the device or case that makes the blade come out locked. Bwahahahaha

The knife is not illegal, your pants' pocket is illegal. Thus your pants as part of the device are illegal.

Ban pants!

For anyone curious about town bylaws or ordinances, http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source/mass/bylaws.html is a quick path to find a lot of them. What it links you to varies in ease of use from town to town. And, since IANAL, I find reading some of them to be ... a tad muddy. How, typically, does someone establish in court the "purpose" for which an item is possessed?

I needed some toilet paper. Thanks.

, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle. So this means any assisted knife is illegal in Ma.

No, you have to touch the blade on an Assisted Opener. Thus it does not open from the handle.

Not exactly. The federal definition of switchblade knives does refer to a device on the handle, but I wouldn't want to hang my hat on 'touching the blade' versus 'touching the handle' when it comes to a legal defense.

AO knives function by having the spring bias the knife to the closed position and this is recognized as being a distinct mode of operation in an amendment to 15 U.S.C. 1244. Additionally the 'open' part of the assisted open feature does not actually do anything until the knife has already been manually 'released from the handle' by about 30-45 degrees after which the spring assist takes over. So it's kosher by both state and federal standards.

For me, simpler is better. That includes knives, vehicles and appliances as well as firearms. My 4" Cold Steel "Voyager" folder, with lock blade and thumb stud, opens just as quickly as an AO without the under-tension spring that can take a set and fail at an inopportune time. Most lock-blade folders are also less expensive than AOs, so that is also an advantage.

Unless your knife is junk, an AO is not going to "fail" randomly. I own a half a dozen of the things and even my Kershaw Leek which I beat the ever loving SNOT out of, for years, still opens reliably.

-Mike

Not exactly. The federal definition of switchblade knives does refer to a device on the handle, but I wouldn't want to hang my hat on 'touching the blade' versus 'touching the handle' when it comes to a legal defense.

AO knives function by having the spring bias the knife to the closed position and this is recognized as being a distinct mode of operation in an amendment to 15 U.S.C. 1244. Additionally the 'open' part of the assisted open feature does not actually do anything until the knife has already been manually 'released from the handle' by about 30-45 degrees after which the spring assist takes over. So it's kosher by both state and federal standards.

But I already have, and won.

Back
Top Bottom