1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Assault weapons ban proposed for Florida's 2020 ballot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikeyp, Nov 27, 2018.

1. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

2. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

They can't even define "Assault Weapon". As we know, some ARs are AW and some are not, depending on which state and what features. Shit heads. Jack.

amm5061, timbo, citoriguy and 2 others like this.
  3. PeterC

PeterC NES Member

What, in a state that came *this* close to electing a candidate like Gillum as Governor ? I wouldn't be so sure that something like this is DOA.

4. MarkT

MarkT NES Member

I wish the Supreme Court would just settle this already. JFC.

ridleyman and semper_gumby like this.
  5. RImike

RImike

So if I have 30 rounds of .223 in my pocket that's no good ? F-that

6. spt_1955

spt_1955 NES Member

"The proposal, which was posted on the state Division of Elections website earlier this month, prohibits possession of assault weapons, which it defines as "semiautomatic rifles and shotguns capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition at once, either in fixed or detachable magazine, or any other ammunition-feeding device."

[rofl]
    Holy crap .... just when I thought they'd never come after my Ruger 10-22 I find out it's an assault weapon!!!!

Miater and Cowgirlup like this.
  7. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

"the right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed," but shall be "regulated by law."

[rofl][laugh2]

"but"

Such a itty bitty little tiny word.

"regulated by law" that you're making up sounds an awful lot like infringement...

Every single semi-auto rifle that I own would be an assault rifle by this definition - because I can get magazines for all of them that hold more than 10 rounds.

8. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Well that would essentially make illegal nearly every semi auto. I have no experience with fixed mags... Can those be bypassed and support more than 10 rounds too?

9. jpk

jpk

I dont think the supreme court is going to be able to dodge having to take up a case on this in near future

10. snax

snax NES Member

Seems like some of these ballot questions are to get people to come out and vote who may not otherwise vote (for a dem candidate)

11. Cipher

Cipher NES Member

Hahaha that's cute. Leave it up to the state that elected Desantis. A thin margin sure but nobody in northern Florida is going to go along with this.

12. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

So somehow now they're going to pass it there, when they couldn't pass it while they were busy dancing on warm
    teenager corpses from parkland? /boggle.

-Mike

308rifleman and Cipher like this.
  13. drgrant

Some of that idea could very well backfire on them, though... could be a lot of wonkies that don't vote there on a
    regular basis.

-Mike

14. drgrant

Unless it passes and somehow a court issues an injunction (which is possible due to the absurd scope of this proposed law) it's easily 2+ years out for that crap to marinate. That said if the antis picked this hill to die on, they're pretty
    stupid. This definitely doesn't sound like a shitberg deal. (he is a piece of garbage but also smart enough to know
    that kind of a ban is dangerous to them to try to defend legally. )

-Mike

15. MaverickNH

MaverickNH NES Member

Did mass shootings spike 200% since assault weapons ban?

“A separate analysis found an 183 percent increase in mass shootings where six or more people were killed in the decade after the ban, compared with the 10-year ban period. But experts caution against inferring that an increase is due only to the ban’s expiration.

Deutch’s claim contains an element of truth but ignores critical facts that would give a different impression. We rate it Mostly False.”

NPR references this in their latest article: “Both sides of the debate claim vindication in subsequent research. Comparing the various studies is difficult because they use different definitions of "assault weapon" and mass shooting.” The U.S. Once Had A Ban On Assault Weapons — Why Did It Expire?

But is other wise rather biased in what they say and how they say it (big surprise).

A “study” by Kleveras (self-published, data and methods not made available) found the 10yr AWB reduced the number of mass killings of 6+ (not 3+, 4+ or 5+) using handguns (not “assault rifles” as one might expect. Maybe this time we can ban 410 shotguns to see if it reduces 45cal carbine shootings of 2-3 people?) It’s just a statistical aberration with no explanation other than a fluke of the data and analysis method. John Lott has been looking to try and replicate this work but is awfully busy.

jpk likes this.
  16. 308rifleman

308rifleman

Down the rabbit hole, somewhere in Paradise.
    Remington Model 8 rifles from the early 20th century would become illegal under this proposal!

17. 308rifleman

308rifleman

Down the rabbit hole, somewhere in Paradise.
    Unless SCOTUS acts fast to shut these fools down, it will continue to spread across the country. States that do not have preemption laws protecting gun rights will see AWB proposals being introduced at the local levels so quickly that it will be damn near impossible to snuff out all of them. Just like wildfires, they will soon be completely out of control.