Assault Weapon Ownership Raises Debate in Maine

By John Holyoke

One of the more constant debates about guns often revolves around the ownership of “assault weapons,” which were banned for 10 years beginning in 1994. The federal law was allowed to “sunset” five years ago. Gun owners worry it will rise again.

According to the National Shooting Sports Association, the legislative ban targeted semiautomatic firearms that could accept a detachable magazine and had two or more of the following cosmetic features: a folding or telescoping stock; a pistol grip; a bayonet mount; a flash suppressor (or threads to attach one); a grenade launcher.

BANGOR DAILY NEWS

According to the National Shooting Sports Association, the legislative ban targeted semiautomatic firearms that could accept a detachable magazine and had two or more of the following cosmetic features: a folding or telescoping stock; a pistol grip; a bayonet mount; a flash suppressor (or threads to attach one); a grenade launcher.

Well... that's closer to correct than the media usually gets.

Further in the article, Tom Franklin is putting forth the usual tired "Guns are just for fudds" argument, and Art Wheaton has the weakest defense of EBRs I've ever seen.

What a waste of print space.

I loved this part:

“When AK-47s and AR-15s become commonly used by criminals, it would make sense to restrict their purchase"

Can anyone here point me towards an article that stated "the gunmen were armed with AK-47's or AR-15s"? I've been here 20 years and never once have I heard or read that the gunmen used AK-47's or AR-15's in the commission of a crime.

politicians suck.

Damn, and I was just thinking of moving to Maine.

Maybe you should consider a move to the left.
Geographically that is, NOT politically.

(from comments posted on news article) The AK-47, though it definitely has that distinctive "assault weapon" look, in function is very similar to a lightweight semi-automatic 30-30, a rifle often used for short/medium range deer hunting in heavy cover,

Who makes a semi-auto .30-30?
I've never seen or heard of such a rifle. [thinking]

Last edited:
Who makes a semi-auto .30-30?
I've never seen or heard of such a rifle. [thinking]
I believe the gist of that comment is that the ballistics of the 7.62 x 39 and the .30-30 are about the same and that the only functional difference between a lever action and an AK-type is how they are reloaded. Power-wise they are dead even and both are equally suited for hunting deer-sized game at distances appropriate to the cartridge.

Still, the point has been poorly made.

I loved this part:

“When AK-47s and AR-15s become commonly used by criminals, it would make sense to restrict their purchase"

Can anyone here point me towards an article that stated "the gunmen were armed with AK-47's or AR-15s"? I've been here 20 years and never once have I heard or read that the gunmen used AK-47's or AR-15's in the commission of a crime.

Probably the most famous: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

politicians suck.

Yep.

I've been here 20 years and never once have I heard or read that the gunmen used AK-47's or AR-15's in the commission of a crime.

I believe he was referring to incidents involving these rifle in Maine.

Last edited:
I believe he was referring to incidents involving these rifle in Maine.

They have crime in Maine?

EDIT: If this is accurate, ME averages fewer than 100 violent crimes committed with firearms per year. They don't break it down into "assault" weapons vs. "non-assault" weapons, but according to this "assault" weapons were used in less that 1% of shootings in nearby Massachusetts (in 1988 - before the ban.)

So doings some quick math maybe about 1 violent crime committed with assault weapons in ME per year, and that's out of about 1.3 million people.... Yep, definitely need a ban.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about any new gun bans here in Maine. We have one of the lowest crime rates and one of the highest gun ownership rates in the country. There is no stomach for tighter gun regulations. Believe me.

They thought "No on Question 1" (the gay marriage recall) was a slam dunk. Not so much.

Portland notwithstanding, this is a very conservative state. Lots of old-school union Democrats, but when it comes down to it, they are more conservative than a lot of the Republicans running around.

Close the doors now.......too many ma**h***s are moving there......you'll be sorry.....or your kids will be in twenty years.[smile]

Crap like this happens when legislatures run out of real government business and start on the make work projects to make themselves heros. If states would let their legislatures go home with pay when the government business is done crap like this wouldn't happen as often.

Crap like this happens when legislatures run out of real government business and start on the make work projects to make themselves heros. If states would let their legislatures go home with pay when the government business is done crap like this wouldn't happen as often.

Ayuh.

If states would elect their legislatures under the conditions of part time work it wouldn't happen either. Whats this "go home with pay" BS? They don't do whats right when they are there now.
By making it a part time job, the office could seek the man instead of the man seeking the office. A better quality of person would be obtained.

If states would elect their legislatures under the conditions of part time work it wouldn't happen either.
<snip>
By making it a part time job, the office could seek the man instead of the man seeking the office. A better quality of person would be obtained.

That would certainly lessen the desire to become a career politician.
Especially if they were only paid a token amount like the NH Legislature.

They were using real AK-47 (Fully Automatic Assault Rifles) which were restricted well before the 1994 "Assault Weapon's Ban" and were totally unaffected by the 1994 ban (other than making it illegal to purchase newly manufacturered magazines)

If a politian points to this incident as support for the AWB, they need a lesson on gun control laws allready on the books.

Another note: The weapons the police obtained from a local dealer to kill the perpetrators where pre-bad semi-automatics available at a civilian firearms store. The dealer we contacted by officers on scene when they realized their handguns were insifficient.

Last edited:
That would certainly lessen the desire to become a career politician.
Especially if they were only paid a token amount like the NH Legislature.

In RI members of the General Assembly are part-time and paid a bit over $10K per year (plus free health insurance) but a great many of them hold jobs with unions or other special-interest groups and therefore are paid to legislate on behalf of their income sources. You can easily imagine how deep the systemic corruption runs in this state. You would not believe how the General Assembly has amassed the power to micro-manage nearly every aspect of not only state affairs but municipal and school affairs, all tightly controlled by the leadership and stinking to high heaven of dirty politics.

Oh, and all but ten of the 115 members are Democrats.

NH isn't perfect, but our model of legislature is certainly one of the best. He have on of the highest ratios of reps per population.

Not sure if it's still true, but at one time the NH house of reps was the 3rd largest body of legislature on earth. Bested only by the british parliament and the US house of reps.

And all of the NH reps are there more or less as volunteers. Less than $500 dollars a year is paid to these people.
One of the only failing points of making it a more or less volunteer job is that you get a lot of wealthy people with out much other experience other than having made a little money sitting seats. It's tough for the "working poor" as many of us are to hold down a full time job plus legislating.

Though, I think I may run for the NH house in 2010.

On the national level, there's a few things that could be done to stem the tide of bullshit...

First, severely reduce the pay and benefits packages of national politicians. A public servant should not be living better than 95% of the public on the public dime.

Second, mandate a much larger amount of time a politician must spend in the jurisdiction of their constituency. There is no reason that a NH senator needs to be in washington 75% of the time or more. Absolute bullshit. With modern communication tech 90% of the time or better the politicians should be at their home office. That way, constituents can watch themselves and see who our glorious "public servants" are wheeling and dealing with, and we can form an angry mob at their door when need be.

Also, having those state politicians sitting at their state offices would cut a hell of a lot of the expenses out of what we the taxpayers pay for their "official duties". Make the lobbyist, slimeballs and otherwise, come to them.

Fruck. I think this needs a new thread.

Back
Top Bottom