Articles about bringing new shooters to the range.

I have posted two articles on my blog about bringing new shooters to the range. These articles are intended to provide guidance for anyone who is taking people to the range for the first time.

The articles are here:

Bringing New Shooters to the Range
Making a Lesson Plan for New Shooters

As background, I am a range safety officer at a range which allows members to bring guests. Over the years, I have seen many issues arise when members bring guests who have never shot before. At the same time, those first time shooters represent the future of shooting sports, so I am eager to make their first experience a good one. These articles provide a framework to help experienced shooters plan the first day range day for beginning shooters.

I have posted these articles on my blog, but my real interest is in writing this type of longer articles rather than blog posts. My aim is to equal the content level found in printed publications. I hope I have achieved that here.

I will be interested in any feedback and criticism on these articles. My goal is for these articles to reach an audience that finds them useful. Before writing these articles, I searched for existing similar content, and I have not found other material with the same approach and depth that I have provided.

I am hesitant to make this post which is promoting my blog content, but I have put an effort into writing articles which will benefit the shooting community, and the material is only useful if it finds an audience.

I want to thank you in advance for your consideration and comments.

Disclosure: There is no advertising or monetization on my blog. I am not compensated for any clicks on these links. Blogspot.com is Google's blogging platform, so the provider is not unscrupulous.

I really liked your articles. Their content is relevant to every shooter as each of us has brought and will bring new shooters to the range. If they have a good time, they will be hooked on shooting sports, however if we don't approach the introduction to shooting with the right procedures, the new shooters may be lost to our sport. These articles offer a very clear, detailed approach to giving new shooters the best first experience. I know the author and recognize his real enthusiasm for teaching new shooters and keeping us all safe on the range. -Be Safe, Be Responsible!

You cover everything. Problem is, everything is too much.

Instead, break it into a series of smaller, linked articles. A new "mentor" may, depending on their level of expertise, be overwhelmed by the volume of info you present.

The other thing that I'd recommend is, when possible, using reactive targets. I teach people on the Trap range. There's more of a "WOW! That's Awesome!" moment when the bird breaks, as opposed to when a pencil-sized hole appears in a piece of paper.

I want to thank everyone for the comments on this thread.

Regarding MisterHappy's comment that the articles are too long, I mostly agree. I will consider splitting them into smaller linked articles. The overall length and density of the material is something I thought a lot about. I do not want to be intimidating. But working with new shooters is serious business, and I do not want to treat it lightly.

I tried to walk a fine line between being overwhelming on one side and being incomplete on the other. Reader feedback is the only way I can tell if I hit the mark or missed it. At the same time, my goal is to be thorough. Other people have written much shorter articles on this subject, but I felt that a more complete reference would be helpful.

Additional feedback will always be appreciated. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom