Army finds simple blood test to identify mild brain trauma

What good news this is! The article didn't say how long those proteins stay in the blood... I wonder if it'll help identify the problem with some of those who have had long-term symptoms without having had them tied to an identifiable injury?

I believe what the article is referring to is CPK-BB or CPK-1. If I remember correctly, it peaks about 12 hours. It is not a test that would be of any use a week later. This would help identify those who got hit with a concussive wave who are at risk. We used to follow CPK isoenzymes on cardiac prior to Troponin levels.

OK, thanks! It sounds like this test would be most useful shortly after the troops returned from a mission where they were under attack...

A great discovery for sure. Anyone ever take a tour of the Natick Labs? What a den of ideas and concepts that place is. Many years ago my unit was the recipient of some of their gadgets and survival gear. Some of that stuff has made its way into the civilian market I suppose because the Army doesn't patent it's creations?

Back
Top Bottom