Arming teachers poll

I think schools should have armed guards or a police presence, but if the teachers are okay with arming up too (on an individual basis) then why not?? Obviously they would have to train as a group for the scenario, but when I was in high school, I had a teacher that was a SEAL in Vietnam, and another that did armed boardings in the Coast Guard. Not sure how much more qualified you want them to get and both were great and down to earth guys. I'd put my money on either of them any day of the week. Obviously not every teacher is going to have that sort of resume, but if willing teachers are going to qualify and train, it will be a hell of a deterrent, and in the event that the worst does happen, you've got a trained team vs. a lone gun man (usually).

I think schools should have armed guards or a police presence, but if the teachers are okay with arming up too (on an individual basis) then why not?? Obviously they would have to train as a group for the scenario, but when I was in high school, I had a teacher that was a SEAL in Vietnam, and another that did armed boardings in the Coast Guard. Not sure how much more qualified you want them to get and both were great and down to earth guys. I'd put my money on either of them any day of the week. Obviously not every teacher is going to have that sort of resume, but if willing teachers are going to qualify and train, it will be a hell of a deterrent, and in the event that the worst does happen, you've got a trained team vs. a lone gun man (usually).

Disagree, only because given the time it would take to assemble a “team” from multiple rooms/floors/buildings, while the rest of the building is simultaneously going crazy... there’s no point. If you’re going to wait for a team to assemble, you’re waiting too long.

The answer on armed teachers is not “active,” it’s “defensive.” LTC holders carry for defense, not offense; I don’t see any reason why that should change just because they’re in a school, and many reasons why it shouldn’t.

These grandiose “teachers as saviors” plans won’t get off the ground. School Committees won’t agree on budget grounds, PDs won’t sign off on tactical grounds, and both will have a point.

Back
Top Bottom