• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Arming teachers poll

deerdad

NES Member
On my phone now so i cant link but channel 22 has a new poll up on their site about arming teachers. If soeone can link to it, thank you. Voted yes.

Greg

It is not a poll about "arming teachers." The question is as follows:
"Should teachers be allowed to carry guns in schools?"

Yes 50.53%
No 49.47%

I'd prefer an armed security guard/cop but certainly am not apposed to teachers being trained and carrying. I might get shit on for this comment as I know "shall not be infringed" is used anytime training becomes mandatory for gun licenses but to be allowed to be a first responder of sorts in a school I think additional training about how to react (not just gun safety) would be wise.

Hell, arm the janitors...

iu

I'd prefer an armed security guard/cop but certainly am not apposed to teachers being trained and carrying. I might get shit on for this comment as I know "shall not be infringed" is used anytime training becomes mandatory for gun licenses but to be allowed to be a first responder of sorts in a school I think additional training about how to react (not just gun safety) would be wise.
I agree, making sure that other innocents aren't in the cross-fire, dealing with incoming LE, etc. are very important things to know and train on. Much different than just owning guns or carrying for self-protection under general circumstances.

Teachers, like most Public Employees are Left of center. They wouldn't touch a gun under any condition. And frankly you wouldn't want them to.

In case anyone has forgotten the Pearl High School, MS shooting in 1997 was ended by Joel Myrick, the Assistant Principal who has a .45 pistol in his truck and was able, with the help of a person who blocked the shooter's way with a vehicle, stopped the shooter. Without having to shoot him.

Just vote yes. Now 55% yes 45% no.

I also notice there is a link at the bottom of the box to "Create your own poll". Maybe someone can come up with a god pro-gun poll and see if they publish it.

Unless you've been through training, you don't have any idea how chaotic these situations are even in a training environment. I think it's safe to say the real thing is turned to '12'.

But even just sitting inside a locked door with a firearm and defend your classroom would be better than nothing.

edit: 55 to 44 now.

An argument I hear most often is that teachers aren't trained nor do they have time to train. Which is odd considering they work 8 months a year....but let that go for a minute..

How much training does a regular town police officer have with a Gun? I'm not familiar with their training protocol. Can anyone fill me in?

I would assume working 40 hours a week 8 months a year allows more then ample time for someone to attain training if they desire it. I work in construction and put in more time than any teacher and still find time to take classes and practice on my own. Training isn't really expensive.

An argument I hear most often is that teachers aren't trained nor do they have time to train. Which is odd considering they work 8 months a year....but let that go for a minute..

How much training does a regular town police officer have with a Gun? I'm not familiar with their training protocol. Can anyone fill me in?

I would assume working 40 hours a week 8 months a year allows more then ample time for someone to attain training if they desire it. I work in construction and put in more time than any teacher and still find time to take classes and practice on my own. Training isn't really expensive.
40 hours a week? When I went to school, the times were 7-2, 7:30-2:30 and 8-3. By my watch, that's 7 hours a say. But yeah, I guess they have less time to train than police.

Maybe they can use one of their many "teacher training" days at the range.

Back
Top Bottom