Armalite AR-24 (Mass Legal ?)

After seeing the review in American Rifleman this month I took it upon myself to contact armalite about chances of a mass legal version of the AR-24 and here is the surprisingly optomistic reply:

We have passed the certification process for our pistols to be sold in Massachusetts. We’re now waiting for the certificate to be mailed to us. Hope this helps.

Tech Support / Customer Service

Armalite Inc

745 S. Hanford Street

Nice lookin' pistol, eh ?

Pistol-Web-2.gif

Looks like a CZ75 knockoff. If it's anything like its parent, it'll be good
value for the money. I wouldn't hold my breath on the certification,
though... although considering the relatively low cost of the gun it would
cost them less to certify it than other guns (eg the value of the guns destroyed
in testing would cost less, etc) and thier costs might be offset
by possible higher volume sales... right now the only MA legal gun in that
price class would be an S+W smegma or possibly the Beretta 9000, although
the 9000 wouldnt hold a candle to that thing anyways. (Just my .02, but I
think the Beretta 9K is the ugliest and dumbest handgun beretta ever invented,
it feels like a small block of plastic covered wood with a barrel mounted to it. )

-Mike

its a CZ75 clone that the Bren was based on. I belive its just in 9mm tho.

There definetly needs to be more 10mm guns on the market!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

PS:Ripach, Don't hold your breath [sad]

I hear ya boss, not getting excited about it or anything, just thought it would be a nice addition to the safe. Also like the fact that its a solid piece of steel in a world of fire spewing tupperware.

Nice lookin' pistol, eh
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I think it is very ugly, particularly the back-strap. Look for a side view picture of it to see what I mean.

The big question I have is, why? The AR24 is an answer to what question? CZ is already making fine versions of the CZ75. So what is the point of the AR24? The market isn't clamoring for the CZ75s that are already available, so what's the point?

For all you CZ fanboys out there, calm down. I've got a CZ75B. It's an ok pistol. But the sights suck, there isn't much you can do to improve the trigger, and then there's the slide-top failures...

For all you CZ fanboys out there, calm down. I've got a CZ75B. It's an ok pistol. But the sights suck, there isn't much you can do to improve the trigger, and then there's the slide-top failures...

And then theres the exploding decocker that every gunsmith in existence
hates in the CZ-75BD.... about the only good thing the CZ-75 series has
going for it is the fact that it has incredibly low recoil. I'd rather just have
a BHP with the mag safety ripped out, first, though.

-Mike

No disrespect meant Joe, I own some as well and enjoy shooting it I just have a soft spot for well built products of the past. [wink]

So do I. If I had the money to burn, I'd like the Bren Ten to complement my 10mm Auto collection.

I don't think that this pistol is that bad to look at. I'm more of a fan of the CZ/TZ family than I am of the Beretta 92 family. Guy at the range has a nice CZ-75 and the only thing wrong is the sights. Fix that and the durability on some of the parts and it would work for me. Hey, at least ( I hate this phrase but... ) Armalite is trying to get it MA-approved...unlike a few other companies that won't ( can we say Kimber? )

Joe R.

Whoever responded for Armalite is misinformed. The certification is sent directly to the GCAB; not the manufacturer.

its a CZ75 clone that the Bren was based on. I belive its just in 9mm tho.

There definetly needs to be more 10mm guns on the market!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

PS:Ripach, Don't hold your breath [sad]

I read an article on this pistol. They are building 9mm guns only on this platform, but intend to design a new gun for the .45 ACP. Maybe a Ten is in the works?

Armalite's response

I recently received my LTC-A (T&H -- thanks Mumbles) and expected the limited handgun selection in MA. However, I was looking forward to the AR-24 since it was different from the current selection. After some back and forth with customer service (he was not aware of the GCAB and EOPS procedures), I received this ultimate response:

Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:57:04 -0500

David,

From what I’m now being told Massachusetts and California require a drop test and a mag lock (the mag out of the pistol and the pistol is in a locked position and won’t fire a chambered round). We aren’t MA or CA legal as we’ve done neither and the mag lock would require a redesign of our pistol which I’m told we’re not going to do. Sorry, I guess our pistols won’t be available in your state for the foreseeable future.

Tim Rooker
Tech Support / Sales
Armalite Inc

I suspect if there is enough interest, they may change their production plans, though not likely.

-- David [sad]

Back
Top Bottom