Arisaka 99 Mil Surp at 4 Seasons on Consignment for a Sick Dad

P-14

NES Member
Derek has approved this.

A friend of mine was cleaning out her Dad's house because he has moved into a nursing home. She found an unfired Arisaka 99 (7.7 Jap) with:

• Matching serial numbers on the bolt and rifle
  • Dust cover
  • Anti-aircraft sights
  • Bayonet from the same arsenal as the rifle was made.
  • A ground-off mum
She wanted me to sell it on consignment at 4 Seasons in Woburn and I did that yesterday. When it sells, all the funds (after 4 Seasons' take) will go to help pay for her father's care.

NOTE: If you remove the bolt, make sure that the dust cover is properly fitted into both grooves on the receiver or the trigger cannot be pulled. That's probably why the Japanese soldiers threw the covers away!

The price is $250. If you want a unfired Arisaka with these features to add to your collection and to help a sick father, please check it out.

Last edited:
Thank you sir, Also put a thank you out to Paul and his daughter.

Range report to follow

UPDATED POST #24

Last edited:
Well I will start with what I found already
Tough to tell but looks like a series 24 serial number 19,8XX Kokura Arsenal. Bolt, receiver and front band match. Nt finding much of any numbers on any other parts so far, short cleaning rod over all good shape.
The bayonet has the Kokura arsenal stamp..... I don't know enough about bayonets on the 99 but glad to have one. This one has been cleaned at some point and has a decent sharp edge.... don't know if they should be bright or "blued"

I like arisaka rifles so buying one to help someone was a very good reason to buy another.

My camera doesn't work so it will e a while before I post pics.

arisaka range report

I only had 7 rounds of PPU 150 grain soft points left to test.
So i said .....true test. Sight folded down , target SR 1 repair center , 100 yards.
First two shots I aimed at the 6 O'clock of the black bull hit high 7 low 8 ring "center"
After I seen where those to went I held center black. Last 5 shots in the black.
Shot from elbows on the bench. There's one X in there from my US property Remington 513t last shot from testing that today also.
So 70 years plus old this old dog did everything it was suposed to do. If only the Arisaka had a better trigger...this one heavy...might just need a proper cleaning?
Still very good for what it is.
Chrome lined barrel has held up pretty darn well.
Slight pitting on the land's. Thought it might be copper fouling but it looks though the chrome was worn or thin on the sharp edges of the land's.
Good enough for me and glad to have it.
To Uncle Paul and his family
Thank you for your service and the chance to have this.
It will be taken good care of.
I will load up some nice soft cast loads for any more shooting. I will run it once through a cmp vintage match with cast loads. From what I have seen today it's good for 400 plus points.

Last edited:
Nice! Thanks for the update mac1911! I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

Sent from the Warlock Command Center

Very cool, and even better to be doing what it was meant to do. Nice score!

My Grandfather brought one back from fighting the Japanese. A really nice one, but he sporterized it and proceeded to take his limit of deer for decades with it.

Might pick up a new camera soon and I will post pictures...she's battle worn for sure....dinged dented bent and some rust....love it.
I'm not wasting my time with phone pictures.

I have to begrudgingly say congrats because if I wasn't traveling I would have been posting these photos [rofl] damn work schedule....but seriously glad it went to a good home. good luck with it

if you need ammo for it I know Glenn's typically has it

I load for it. I just didn't have any on hand ...needed to liberate that PPU brass anyway. I also form 7.7 from 30-06. I use HXP 77 head stamp.

Camera decided to open up took a few picks for you all

Shes got that done that look for sure

Mac,

I have a box of 7.7 Jap you can have since I no longer have a T99. You'd have to come down to me as I'm still off the road for the near future.

T

Mac,

I have a box of 7.7 Jap you can have since I no longer have a T99. You'd have to come down to me as I'm still off the road for the near future.

T
very kind of you, don't know when I would be down your way..... I have a hard time getting to club 4 miles down the road!

Well it made its way back to the front of the armory.
Took it out for a spin today. Loaded up some 200 grain cast loads.... the bore is pretty rough on this one but still shoots ok. I think with a little time and more shooting the bore will "smooth" out a bit.
At least now the patch doesn't feel like I'm dragging it through sand and glass shards!

this is the bore after a heavy duty cleaning

Here is the bore after 12 rounds of cast and a quick patch wipe

shot 12 rounds of cast
OoGL7nKl.jpg

and the last 8 shots here
oyR31FEl.jpg

I think with a little work and some time on the loads I think I could shrink up the groups some more

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom