• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Area 7 Championship Fulton, NY

I have to say congrats to Chris F. for winning B limited - Nice job man I wish I could have watched you shoot!

Thanks, I must say I placed much better than I thought I would. The only stage i really felt I shot well was the barrel stage. Other than that I just tried not to rush myself and get all my hits (think I went a little too slow on a few) and I actually got through the match clean so I guess I can't complain.

Great match, I will go back if they have another there. Congrats to all that did so well.

Thanks to all those that worked the match in one capacity or another. If I missed thanking you on the stage, I apologize. Your hard work and time is greatly appreciated.

Here are the rest of the vids

These 3 stages (10, 11, 12) were all shot from one to another.

The first had my biggest bonehead move of the day. Watch for the big pause from one side to the other. The 2nd and 3rd vids speak for themselves. If you notice the third vid I displaced my hearing protection. I could've stopped but I didn't - my left ear rang for awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/user/123scottb#play/uploads/5/I5lhCPEEdeA

http://www.youtube.com/user/123scottb#play/uploads/4/hOQyw2SFnd0

http://www.youtube.com/user/123scottb#play/uploads/3/jCXVv_Knqe8

I didn't get vids for stages 1,2, and 3. They were speed shoots that were pretty cool but don't really look all that flashy so you're not missing much.

The next two are stage 4 and 5. They were field courses and the vids speak for themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/user/123scottb#play/uploads/1/JcTPsljmI-I

http://www.youtube.com/user/123scottb#play/uploads/0/q7EHwG-SDkA

I did the same thing Scott. I didn't realize it until I watched the video back. I think it might have something to do with shooting the stage at Manville where I engaged both targets from the right side. It is funny what your brain does.

Great match.

It was nice to be back at the home of the former Miller, later S&W invitational.
Here is my squad.
Squad1.jpg

Here is my squad after stage 10. [crying]
Squad-1.jpg

Videos can be found here.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=847A5C252893B265

Michael.

Last edited:
Day ended early.

Dropped (empty) gun during "make ready". Really sad to see.

It was on the stage with the barricade and just two targets that required four hits each called "how fast is too fast".

The RO got Dennis to the box and issued the "make ready" command. Dennis unlocked his holster and one of the other RO's started yelling "hold it, hold it".
Dennis went re-seat the gun in the holster but it dropped to the ground. [shocked]
There was no other possible outcome [rules] but I felt terrible and so did the RO that yelled.

He was just trying to get the right shooter name for the score input but it distracted Dennis and the other RO enough to cause the drop. [frown]

To his credit, dennis took it well and even asked me to make the modification to the squad picture. Good on you Dennis. [wave]

Dropped (empty) gun during "make ready". Really sad to see.

It was on the stage with the barricade and just two targets that required four hits each called "how fast is too fast".

The RO got Dennis to the box and issued the "make ready" command. Dennis unlocked his holster and one of the other RO's started yelling "hold it, hold it".
Dennis went re-seat the gun in the holster but it dropped to the ground. [shocked]
There was no other possible outcome [rules] but I felt terrible and so did the RO that yelled.

He was just trying to get the right shooter name for the score input but it distracted Dennis and the other RO enough to cause the drop. [frown]

To his credit, dennis took it well and even asked me to make the modification to the squad picture. Good on you Dennis. [wave]

Strange how history repeats itself. A friend of mine was DQ'd at that match several years ago. He was trying to clear the pistol in the kneeling position at the end of a rather strenuous field course. The RO began shouting at him and he became so distracted that he forgot to drop the mag. Naturally when he dropped the slide and the hammer, the gun discharged; DQ.

USPSA rule 10.5.3

I thought the dropping of an EMPTY gun did not get your DQ'ed only a loaded gun?

Do I need to re-read the rules?
I think you might want to.

10.5 Match Disqualification – Unsafe Gun Handling
Examples of unsafe gun handling include, but are not limited to:

10.5.3 If at any time during the course of fire, or while loading, reloading or
unloading, a competitor drops his handgun or causes it to fall, loaded
or not.

The "Make ready" command signifies the start of the course of fire and the command had been given.

See http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2008HandgunRulesindexed.pdf

Again, a bummer but everything was done according to the rules.

Jay,

The key part of this rule is when an empty gun is dropped;

"If at any time during the course of fire, or while loading, reloading or
unloading..."

Jay,

The key part of this rule is when an empty gun is dropped;

"If at any time during the course of fire, or while loading, reloading or
unloading..."

Note:
:10.5 Match Disqualification – Unsafe Gun Handling
Examples of unsafe gun handling include, but are not limited to:"

You CAN get a DQ if you drop you gun before the COF as well. Additionally I think during RO training they told us of a sutuation where someone would be DQ'd taking the gun out of the range bag while having the muzzle pointed at them or others at the safe table!

I'll have to review the rule book. I recall there being a condition that when an unloaded firearm is dropped and it is not during a course of fire. I do not recall that it results in a match DQ. I'm sure others who are more knowledgable will chime in.

I'll have to review the rule book. I recall there being a condition that when an unloaded firearm is dropped and it is not during a course of fire. I do not recall that it results in a match DQ. I'm sure others who are more knowledgable will chime in.

If you drop an unload gun before LMR or after Range is clear, then you have to have a RO pick up the gun, if you pick it up, you get DQ'ed for handling your gun.

I thought the dropping of an EMPTY gun did not get your DQ'ed only a loaded gun?

Do I need to re-read the rules?

You may be mixing IDPA and USPSA rules. In IDPA, dropping a loaded gun is an automatic DQ. Dropping an unloaded gun 'may incur penalties at the discretion of the SO or MD'.

I don't think Jay has the rules confused. It's possible that he missed the line with the info that Dennis had been given the Make Ready command.

"10.5.14 Retrieving a dropped handgun. Dropped handguns must always be
retrieved by a Range Officer who will, after checking and/or clearing
the handgun, place it directly into the competitor’s gun case, gun bag
or holster. Dropping an unloaded handgun or causing it to fall outside
of a course of fire is not an infraction, however, a competitor who
retrieves a dropped handgun will receive a match disqualification."

When I was at Double Tap in 2008 one of the shooters in our squad hit his gun against a prop after finishing his run and it fell from his holster (I think it was a CR Speed holster...). He automatically went to grab it and half of us that saw him reach out his hand pretty much screamed, "No!". It was too late though, he touched it and got DQ'ed. It was only our second stage too. :(

I didn't mean to turn the conversation of this thread.

The match was great. I wish I did better, but I did as I did. (shrug)

Thanks again to the whole crew who made this match possible. I'm looking forward to next year.

Donna,
I like the one of the dirt! [smile] You're right, you were busy during the match, with the small squads. The match ran quickly though.
By the way....it's Middle Age Moment, not Senior. Don't rush things.[grin]

Thanks Dan - yes - middle age sounds much better!

I thought the dirt was kinda cool! Shows my artistic abilities, me being such a multi-faceted 'middle aged' woman!!!!!

Great pix Donna! I wish I was able to see more of you guys while at the match.

Don't worry about the dirt pic - @ 30-something you are permitted to have those moments! [grin]

Back
Top Bottom