Are There Any Places To Have Vacuum Tubes Tested in Metro West Boston?

aeromarine

NES Member
My father-in-law has an ancient vacuum tube driven Dynaco FM Stereo in need of repair. Does anyone know of a place that still has tube test equipment in the area? Ideally, it would be somewhere in Metrowest Boston though I'd be willing to go almost anywhere necessary. Thanks!

By the way, Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!! Cheers!

Try "You Do IT" Electronics in Needham. I'm pretty sure they have a tube tester.

Whats the symptoms?

what tubes do you have? Post them up and I'll post up the pins that have the filaments on them, you can ring those out with an Ohm meter to make sure the tube is making heat. There was a time when I knew this from memory, but I have not repaired anything with tubes in 30 years.

I would bet that any filter capacitors in the power supply have long ago gone bad, and the first thing you are going to hear when you turn it on is a loud hummmmmmm

I got the unit and pulled off the cover only to find the component in question was actually just a power unit and it only contained a transformer, a couple of large capacitors and s ciruitboard with various resistors and other things. U do It Electronics wouldn't touch it but they suggested a local guy located in Needham (Chromasonic, basically, a TV repair shop) to run a diagnostic, so I dropped the unit off there for him to look at it. I'll let you know more when I hear back with the repair estimate.

Thanks again for the recommendations. If the problem turns out to be in the receiver I will need help again with the vacuum tubes!

Back
Top Bottom