Archery

I just picked up a nice used compound bow with all the bells and whistles. I’m freaking lost. I’ve shot instinctively my whole life with fingers and find sights and releases very weird. New thing to play with.

No intent on hunting with it, ever. Just a new toy.

I just picked up a nice used compound bow with all the bells and whistles. I’m freaking lost. I’ve shot instinctively my whole life with fingers and find sights and releases very weird. New thing to play with.

The best thing you could do is to bring it to a local archery shop and get it fitted to you and maybe a lesson or two to get started off on the right foot.

Bob

Like Bob said....get it fitted make sure the DL is correct, and its tuned in right. Recommend you just go with a whisker bisquit type rest to take any stupidity out of the rest equation.

You'll be surprised how accurate it is. I was a Trad hunter for a long time, but once you get used of the newer tech its not so awkward. And I can shoot it much more accurately with a lot less practice. I prefer a compound from a treestand where i have plenty of time to aim, draw and hold.

If I was a ground hunter, Id stick with the Trad, quicker, lighter and less deliberate to draw and shoot.

Yeah, this is only going to be for screwing around in the yard. I’ve no desire to hunt with archery any longer.

My biggest boggle is getting used to a release. It just feels weird. I guess I could get the DL reduced and go back to fingers if I can’t make the change.

I got back into two years ago after 30+ years of no bow hunting/shooting.
Lots of good stuff on YouTube and I spent some time (and money..) at Jerry's in Milford, MA; a big help.
Heading out to NYS next week for some time in the tree stand...

The best thing you could do is to bring it to a local archery shop and get it fitted to you and maybe a lesson or two to get started off on the right foot.

Bob

I can't find any Archery shops in my area. (Merrimack Valley-Lowell)

Any recommendations for Southern NH or Littleton, MA?

Yeah, this is only going to be for screwing around in the yard. I’ve no desire to hunt with archery any longer.

My biggest boggle is getting used to a release. It just feels weird. I guess I could get the DL reduced and go back to fingers if I can’t make the change.
I went from a fingers setup 80s era Browning to a Bear Truth 2, some 30 years later. The short axle-to-axle length of the parallel limb bow creates a tight string angle at the nocking point. No way I'm getting my fingers in there. I've been using a Tru-Fire wrist release with jaws that encircle the D-loop, and it also folds back out of the way when not using it.

This guy compares a few bows from a span of 30 years. The first one he mentions happens to be the model of bow I first owned.

The letoff on modern bows is great, as is the compensation for the initial draw weight. They are amazing. I still get most of my target fun from an old Stemmler recurve, but compound bows have really evolved.

Raising this thread from the dead... 🧟‍♂️

I just ordered a PSE Nighthawk Recurve bow and some gear for it. Looking for something to play with in the yard.

View attachment 533710

Shatterproof Alaskan Beaver silencers,
SAS stringer

View attachment 533711View attachment 533712

Bone Collector BC-300 field point target.
6-pack Feather-fletched Easton XX75 JAZZ. (ALUM) 30-inch 1916 w/ 126 grain field points

View attachment 533715View attachment 533721

Bear Weather Rest,
SAS forearm guard and a fingers tab

View attachment 533722View attachment 533723
I wonder whatever became of the OP?

I still have my 1980's era Proline compound, good shooter. I was never a hunter.
I wanted to get into recurve, so last summer I picked up a PSE Shaman recurve 45# at Halls in Manchester CT. THAT became my mental escape last year. Zip to the club after work and focus. No sights, no rest. Shooting off the shelf and playing around with string walking. Got my 20 yard point on fairly consistent. Zen.

"The Push" on YouTube has much good information for aspiring trad archers.

Enter tennis elbow this spring from doing too much tree work. A summer of PT, still doing exercises, the tendon is still sore at the elbow. Haven't shot ANYTHING all year.

Attachments

• 20200619_145222.jpg
    20200619_145222.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 4
I wonder whatever became of the OP?

I still have my 1980's era Proline compound, good shooter. I was never a hunter.
I wanted to get into recurve, so last summer I picked up a PSE Shaman recurve 45# at Halls in Manchester CT. THAT became my mental escape last year. Zip to the club after work and focus. No sights, no rest. Shooting off the shelf and playing around with string walking. Got my 20 yard point on fairly consistent. Zen.

"The Push" on YouTube has much good information for aspiring trad archers.

Enter tennis elbow this spring from doing too much tree work. A summer of PT, still doing exercises, the tendon is still sore at the elbow. Haven't shot ANYTHING all year.

I was looking at the Shaman. Liked it but got a good price on the Nighthawk. I don't wand a bunch of accessories on it either. Plug-n-play... sorta.

I still have a late-80's PSE Polaris compound bow that I haven't loosed an arrow on in 15 years. Cables and string look brand new. It draws fine, but I'm hesitant to use it.
I can't find replacement cables for it (poly-coated steel) The string is easy... cables not so much. I don't want to let-fly and snap a cable or a limb into my face. [rofl]

Thanks for your post.
~Enbloc

Pelletier in Jaffrey is worth the trip, or head to Wildlife Sport outfitters in Manchester
Ill second Pelletiers. Very professional and quality setup skills. I recommend them highly.

I let my daughter's boyfriend borrow my son's Bowtech down in South Carolina. I opened up the case when I got the bow back north and someone had dryfired it. My daughter says it was her, maybe to stop me from slapping her boyfriend. That's another story......

Anyway, the limbs were still fine, string and cable needed changing anyway, bow was 5 years old, cable bracket was snapped.. They rebuilt it like new, and set it up very nicely. They insist that the shooter be there with their intended release and arrows so they can work with him/her on the finish setup. They just don't set it all up and hand it to you they take time at the end to work with you and make sure your shooting darts.

Back
Top Bottom