• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR15 Play Between Upper and Lower

My AR15 upper and lower has a little side play.wiggle between the upper and lower. It seems that a piece of plain old 8.5" x 11" copy paper placed between the upper and lower pin holes takes out the play. Is this amount of play considered normal? Surprisingly enough, if I am out in the sun the play disappears due to the expansion of the aluminum that is coated in the parkerized black coating. This is a 16" free float barrel AR15 that is used for range use and is accurate at 50 and 100 yards (within 2 MOA at 100 yards with the most inexpensive brass .223/5.56 that I typically use). I am not expecting a .5 MOA with this rifle as it is not designed for that use.

I did look at the Accuwedge but it seems as though it would place a lot of undue stress on the upper and lower.

Thoughts?

Thats not uncommon. I have an accuwedge in my bushmaster but dont need one in either of my other three (2 frankenguns and an Armalite). I did however take a razor blade to the bottom of the wedge to remove material so it wouldnt be too tight. When I first dropped it in I needed a punch to drift the takedown pin.

Some guys put small rubber O-rings on the rear takedown nub to minimize the movement. I tried it, and it seems to work. I can't remember the o-ring size off the top of my head, but I bought a pack of 100 for a couple bucks on Amazon.

It's not unusual and will have no effect on the gun.
If it really bothers you , the accu-wedge will take it out.
Otherwise ignore it and choot it.

What he said. My Franken ARs are tight. My matched Quinten Defense one is loose and wiggles.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I checked the baggie, and the o-rings I got are 1/4" ID. I believe they are #10s.

If you want some, PM me. If you send me a SASE I will send you 10 of them.

Thats not uncommon. I have an accuwedge in my bushmaster but dont need one in either of my other three (2 frankenguns and an Armalite). I did however take a razor blade to the bottom of the wedge to remove material so it wouldnt be too tight. When I first dropped it in I needed a punch to drift the takedown pin.
exactly the same for me---some need it, some don't. 1 or 2 accuwedges laying around is good if you need them--cheap enough to buy, and shipping is the same for 1,2,3 ish

#11 o-ring around the front post on the upper (the thing that the pivot pin goes through) will remove the slop. However it will break after a few times of field stripping the gun. I don't bother with this now since it has no effect on accuracy.

What bugs me is the way the upper and lower doesn't line up at this boss.
andy Rooney should have done a segment on it on 60 minutes.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom