AR15 Lower in Titanium

My best guesses:

-Cost (stupidly expensive)
-Answer to a question nobody asked.
-Doesn't do anything a forged or billet lower won't do for less money.

-Mike

Way too expensive. The shop I'm employed at does work with titanium. I had to price out some fasteners. We're talking $15 to $20 for ONE #6-32 x 1/2" SHCS (socket head cap screw). Just imagine how much an AR-15 lower would run.

The lower doesn't really take any wear anyway. If anything the bolt and carrier and the surfaces it rides on in the upper are the high-wear surfaces.

From what I see here the magnesium is lighter than Titanium but Titanium is much stronger.

I bet a company that builds lowers could make one from a block of either material but tooling wear would be worse with Titanium and that = more $ to the end user.

Metal or alloy kg/cu.m
magnesium 1738
titanium 4500

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_metals.htm

I'm surprised that 80% one is as cheap as it is. Maybe we can get one out of Magnesium :)

Everybody gets all hot and bothered over titanium. The trendiness is tiring.

Fact - Titanium weighs 60% more than Aluminum for a given volume.

That means that if you use an existing design meant for Aluminum and make it out of titanium it will weigh 60% more than the aluminum part.

Think of it this way:

Titanium is a light version of Steel
Magnesium is a light version of Aluminum

Titanium is sometimes substituted for steel in high performance applications. Valves and valve springs come to mind.

Magnesium is occasionally subbed for Aluminum. They have similar fatigue properties if memory serves me right.

So. . . if you wanted to make a lightweight AR, it would be interesting. You cold build the receivers out of magnesium. You could certainly make the bolt out of titanium. I'm not familiar of anyone using titanium for barrels. But it might be possible.

Front sight base, buffer tube could be magnesium as could some fire control parts, with the highly stressed trigger, sear, and disconnect made out of Titanium.

Finally, the buffer and spring could be made from Titanium. With the right amount of gas and the proper weight spring, the gun would run fine with the lighter reciprocating mass. (Combined mass of the BCG and the buffer)

Don

Last edited:
Titanium doesn't wear as well as some steels. It was all the rage in IPSC guns for a while. The problem was that a titanium hammer didn't wear as well or last as long as conventional tool steel. This is one fad that I am delighted that I didn't jump into. I wouldn't touch any Ti parts for a gun's ignition system.

Isn't Titanium more brittle? Instead of flexing, it will snap?

It's exactly the opposite. Titanium is quite ductile. At one point there were mountain bikes that relied on this for part of the rear suspension (the chain stays just flexed and the seat stay had a shock).

Everybody gets all hot and bothered over titanium. The trendiness is tiring.

Fact - Titanium weighs 60% more than Aluminum for a given volume.

That means that if you use an existing design meant for Aluminum and make it out of titanium it will weigh 60% more than the aluminum part.

Think of it this way:

Titanium is a light version of Steel
Magnesium is a light version of Aluminum

Titanium is sometimes substituted for steel in high performance applications. Valves and valve springs come to mind.

Magnesium is occasionally subbed for Aluminum. They have similar fatigue properties if memory serves me right.

So. . . if you wanted to make a lightweight AR, it would be interesting. You cold build the receivers out of magnesium. You could certainly make the bolt out of titanium. I'm not familiar of anyone using titanium for barrels. But it might be possible.

Front sight base, buffer tube could be magnesium as could some fire control parts, with the highly stressed trigger, sear, and disconnect made out of Titanium.

Finally, the buffer and spring could be made from Titanium. With the right amount of gas and the proper weight spring, the gun would run fine with the lighter reciprocating mass. (Combined mass of the BCG and the buffer)

Don

The sums it up pretty well. Titanium is lighter than steel for the same strength part and very, very corrosion resistant. It's also not as hard as steel so isn't necessarly the greatest for something like a firing pin.

As others said, it really doesn't bring any benefit to an AR lower. It would be cool for a 1911 lower though.

I have a titanium cylinder in a scandium frame. I call it my atomic gun. 11oz.

332web.jpg

It's exactly the opposite. Titanium is quite ductile. At one point there were mountain bikes that relied on this for part of the rear suspension (the chain stays just flexed and the seat stay had a shock).

100% Correct.

The big "outlaw" product for titanium was softball bats for men's softball leagues. These bats were sold for a short time and commanded prices approaching $1000.00. The properties of the titanium allowed a weak hitter to hit quite well and a strong hitter could absolutely crush the ball. The bats were banned in almost all leagues due to the risk of injury. The ball comes off the bat 50% faster than an aluminum bat.

I'd like to see a special edition Smith and Wesson M&P with titanium/scandium construction, in say 10mm. They could make it a Performance Center model and charge whatever they wanted for it. People would buy it. EddieCoyle would kill for it. It would not be available in MA.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom