AR Pivot/Takedown pins too tight.......

TBalls

NES Member
So I just picked up my lower from the group buy and installed my LPK (Palmetto) without a hitch (well, except that I'm still waiting on my stock). When I tried to install the pivot pin I noticed it was a bit tight, but seemed to loosen a bit after a few in/outs. The real issue was trying to get it through the upper. I have an LBC upper and the pin simply will not go through. I even tried the takedown pin (not being installed anyway due to lack of a stock) in the rear hole and it simply would not go through.

I think I could probably tap them through, but I'm not 100% sure and I don't want to have to use a punch/mallet every time I want to clean the thing.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking I'd sooner try to buff the pins with some 0000 steel wool &/or polishing compound before I touch the upper, but being my first build I welcome any and all insight.

You could take a touch of material off with a drill... I'm sure somebody else has a better (less Wile E Coyote School of Gunsmithing?) way of doing it though.

I would take some material off the pins and leave the upper alone......Pins are cheap.

Also try some of those pins that stick out a little more and are easier to get a grip on (for after you get them to go in). I think YHM makes a set.

I had a similar problem this week. Received upper for my build and had trouble getting the upper to seat into the lower. Since the upper had nickel boron coating I worked the lower with a dremel tool and some polishing bits. I made some caliper measurements and knew it was really close, just needed a little work. [wink]
Once I had it seated well the back pin was really difficult to work. Once again patience and small adjustments, it is fitting very well now. No movement at all between upper and lower. [smile]

Emery cloth the pin then "Frog" lube it. Lol

Well of course that goes without saying......is there any other lube?

I had a similar problem. I just tapped them in and out for the first week or two, now they're fine.

I'll probably see how much effort/tapping it takes and then decide whether to polish the pins a bit. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I have to press down on the upper assembly to get my rear pin of my RRA NM model in or out......A ever so slight tap with a small blastic plastic mallet gets it in and out. I like the snug fit. The hammer i use is very small aprox 8" long with a 3/4x2 1/2" plastic head. lubed pin.....The amount I see guys cracking open their ARs at the range has me dumbfounded?

Back
Top Bottom