• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Pistol?

A semi with detachable mag won’t come in under the weight restrictions. That is why people are using the fixed mag lowers.

You could theoretically do a lightweight build to make one with a detachable magazine (if you don't care about Healey's decree). However, even if you do a lightweight build with various magnesium and titanium parts($$$), it still can't have a handguard (which is a "barrel shroud" according to the AWB). So, even a lightweight detachable mag one would be pretty stupid in MA.

There are legit pre-ban AR pistols out there, but they get pricey

Last edited:
Yeah, check out the other thread. 10 round fixed mag can still be fun if you have a decent loader.

Last edited:
Does it have to be real pre ban or Healy pre ban?
If you want all the AWB features, it should be preban. Some say that since an SBR(or anything with less than 16” barrel) is a “firearm” in MA and not defined as a handgun or rifle, you’re okay, because the AWB only applies to pistols, rifles, and shotguns. However, a guy got busted for violating the AWB with a 12” full feature AR, was convicted and also lost his appeal. However, he was a criminal with no LTC and most likely a shitty attorney. Who knows if it would stick with a competent defense and a clean record. I’m not taking that chance though.

If you want all the AWB features, it should be preban. Some say that since an SBR(or anything with less than 16” barrel) is a “firearm” in MA and not defined as a handgun or rifle, you’re okay, because the AWB only applies to pistols, rifles, and shotguns. However, a guy got busted for violating the AWB with a 12” full feature AR, was convicted and also lost his appeal. However, he was a criminal with no LTC and most likely a shitty attorney. Who knows if it would stick with a competent defense and a clean record. I’m not taking that chance though.

Regarding the bust, was that a SBR with removable mag or a fixed mag pistol?

Regarding the bust, was that a SBR with removable mag or a fixed mag pistol?

SBR with removable mag, flash hider and collapsible stock. I only brought it up because dan-o was asking about SBRs. The guy’s gun was not a registered SBR, but that’s a Fed problem not state. In MA, his gun fell under being just a firearm and not a pistol or rifle. He still got convicted of an AWB violation though. I’ll try to dig up the case.

You could theoretically do a lightweight build to make one with a detachable magazine (if you don't care about Healey's decree). However, even if you do a lightweight build with various magnesium and titanium parts($$$), it still can't have a handguard (which is a "barrel shroud" according to the AWB). So, even a lightweight detachable mag one would be pretty stupid in MA.

Han Solo blaster time? lol.

KkGP9Xi13Klv7OLFJ6031tpc0GHnu3tN5pjmu1fYafE.jpg

SBR with removable mag, flash hider and collapsible stock. I only brought it up because dan-o was asking about SBRs. The guy’s gun was not a registered SBR, but that’s a Fed problem not state. In MA, his gun fell under being just a firearm and not a pistol or rifle. He still got convicted of an AWB violation though. I’ll try to dig up the case.

OK, thanks. Different situation than a fixed mag pistol. IANAL, but evil features should be OK on a fixed mag pistol.

OK, thanks. Different situation than a fixed mag pistol. IANAL, but evil features should be OK on a fixed mag pistol.

Your mileage may vary. See the case about the cops who f***ed up a JC Arms lower just so they could add AWB charges to the shit they threw at the wall. If this state wants you bad enough, they'll never stop trying to get you.

100% legal to do so with a fixed mag lower. The AWB specifically states it doesn’t apply to guns that can’t accept a magazine of more than 10 rounds. Another option is to turn it into a bolt action with a Kali-Key BCG. Then you could have detachable mags.

Your mileage may vary. See the case about the cops who f***ed up a JC Arms lower just so they could add AWB charges to the shit they threw at the wall. If this state wants you bad enough, they'll never stop trying to get you.

I heard they tried to incorrectly charge him for an assault weapon, but you’re saying they also messed up his gun? Did they break it will trying to remove the magazine?

I heard they tried to incorrectly charge him for an assault weapon, but you’re saying they also messed up his gun? Did they break it will trying to remove the magazine?

They destroyed the fixed magazine in order to remove it and replace it with their own standard-cap mag. That's f***ing up the gun to me, since the magazine is fixed to the lower.

They destroyed the fixed magazine in order to remove it and replace it with their own standard-cap mag. That's f***ing up the gun to me, since the magazine is fixed to the lower.

Agreed. That’s seriously messed up.

Other circumstances involved with that one?

In my case, if there was ever a problem the only thing coming out of my mouth would be 'Lawyer!'. Clean record & a decent lawyer should take care of it in the unlikely event there should be a problem.

Other circumstances involved with that one?

In my case, if there was ever a problem the only thing coming out of my mouth would be 'Lawyer!'. Clean record & a decent lawyer should take care of it in the unlikely event there should be a problem.

EDIT: I guess there were other issues with the guy, but no word on what they were or if they were also erroneous. For the pistol issue though, it was an aggressive police force doing illegal things. The guy lawyered up and the court dismissed the charge:

Last edited:
Or just SBR a post ban, doesn’t matter

It does if you want features in addition to the short barrel. People claim that SBRs don’t fall under the AWB because of the definitions in law, but a conviction and failed appeal say differently.

If someone wants to take that risk, more power to them. But you need to be honest about the situation before offering that course of action with zero additional information or qualifiers.

It does if you want features in addition to the short barrel. People claim that SBRs don’t fall under the AWB because of the definitions in law, but a conviction and failed appeal say differently.

If someone wants to take that risk, more power to them. But you need to be honest about the situation before offering that course of action with zero additional information or qualifiers.
Honest???? I think you are misinformed. If you SBR a post94 ban AR ( or any other rifle than can be an AW) u can definitely have features on it because the MA law is written so that it does not fall under a pistol or rifle. No prosecutor will take the risk to take it to trial and having go sideways and tank this states f***ed up AWB. If you have specifics on a case involving a MA LTC unrestricted licensee getting jammed up and convicted on it, please share the specifics. And no I’m not googling it for you. Now, on my post94 ban SBR’s I pinned the stock and welded the muzzle device just a caution but there was no need to according to the vagueness of MA gun laws.

Back
Top Bottom