AR in 9mm: Pre-ban UZI mags

I was thinking of building/buying an AR in 9mm. Obviously I'd like to get hi-cap mags for the thing, so I figured I'd have to get one that accepts pre-ban uzi mags. Do most 9mm AR's take them, or is it only certain brands? Do I need to get a special mag-well insert in order to do this? Thanks!

There are basically two common types of 9 mm AR. The Olympic arms style (uses sten mags) or the colt style (uses uzi mags) Rock River makes a nice colt style AR. You will need either a mag well adapter or a lower that was factory built to use 9mm mags. My 9mm AR is a milspec lower with a RRA upper, I use a VM hytech magwell adapter that allows the use of unmodified uzi mags. It works pretty good, but sometimes has FTF issues. Look on Ar15.com, they have a couple of threads with a boat load of info on pistol caliber EBR's. I hope this helped.
-Rick

The Olympic 9mm upper takes a modified Sten mag - there is a "block" welded onto the mag to fill a std AR's mag well. These modified Stens hold 32 rds and I've seen them fit both Colt and Bushmaster lowers. Plus side to this is you don't have to have a dedicated lower and you don't have to monkey around with a filler block (I've seen those blocks fall out of the gun followed by the mag dropping to the ground while being fired). YMMV

Thanks guys. How do the modified mags work with AWB compliance though? If the part is welded on, then doesn't that constitute the creation of a new large capacity feeding device since it will no longer work in the firearm it was intended for?

Back
Top Bottom