AR-15 question

MXD

I am not really that into these rifles but because there is even a rumor about them being banned, I will go out and buy one. My question is, if there is a ban coming in the near future, do I need to buy the entire rifle in order to be grandfathered in or can I just buy the frame now and gather the rest of the parts at a later date possibly even after the ban? Basically I am trying to secure an AR before I no longer can but I don't have the cash to lay out for one right now.

I've asked the same question many times before and the response I got was "your guess is as good as mine" Not really what you want to hear but I'm interested to see how others respond to this. I'll be buying a complete AR very very soon.

"your guess is as good as mine"
With this government it depends on who shoots whom with what that day as to how they will write the legislation no one reads prior to passing it...

I wouldn't chance grandfather clauses which may or may not cover unassembled hardware nor is it clear what parts will be available if this is done...

So, if your purpose is to build an end-of-the-world gun, no point in half measuring it...

I'll offer no comment on exactly how likely such an event is, but its certainly much higher than its been before[wink]

Please understand that this is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth. I do not believe a ban is imminent, I think most Dems in the Congress/Senate remember what happened to their predecessors after the Clinton ban, and don't want to suffer the same fate. The second reason I fell we MA residents should avoid panic buying, is that we still live under the ban. Unless a renewed ban is proposed that is far worse in nature then the '94 ban, nothing changes for those of us behind the iron curtain. If you feel the need to cover your six go buy one, if you are willing to risk waiting for the hype to die down, it may be worth it. As far as buying a stripped lower goes, for a firearm to be considered pre-ban in '94, it had to be a complete rifle before the ban. Of course you will be the only one who will know the exact date you made it into a complete rifle so the deck is kind of stacked in your favor if you are willing to bend the truth.
So in summary I would wait it out, but that is easy for me to say as I already have my AR(s).

We're also assuming that any future bans will be like the last one. That may or may not be true. I suppose it is possible that there could be a complete and outright ban on these rifles. I don't think it's likely, but it is possible.

I think that it's possible to get a ban without ever passing one. Suppose that a tax stamp were to be required to transfer one of these rifles, let's say a $500 stamp, and no new ones could be sold to private individuals. This would be similar to what happened with full auto weapons.

No doubt, the tax stamp would be designed so that it would go up in price as time goes by. The gun grabbers could say "Hey, they're not banned, just regulated!"

The power to tax is the power to destroy.

Not a pretty thought. [sad]

For it to be grandfatherd in, in this state, it had to be a complete firearm prior to the 94 ban not just a lower.

Just realized I repeated what was posted by "Ripach" Sorry!!

Last edited:
If there is a complete ban, my guess is you'll need it. For cheap entry as an insurance policy against a ban similar to the 94 AWB, buy a lower receiver for less than $200, they can be found easily here on the classifieds.

With the way things are going, I don't see them devaluing significantly any time in the next 2-3 years, so this is one of the few instances I would recommend using credit to purchase the full assembly.

I plan on purchasing a few lowers in the near future for the simple purpose of being able to have several in different customizations. At the very least, they've proven themselves time and again to be a better investment than most things.

Last edited:
At this time last year, I had no ARs.

I have three fully built ARs and two stripped lowers with parts on order.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the serial number on the lower only? So if that is the case I figured I could buy a lower, register it, and as far as the firearms bureau is concerned, I have a fully built AR. Maybe I should just plunk down the plastic. I hate credit cards.

All I know is that I want a flat top. What are the must have options and what configurations should I stay away from? FS has a bushmaster with a fixed handle. I was told not to purchase that one because it limits the options for the top.

If you buy just the lower and the dealer registers it on and fa10, then it is a registered firearm. you do not need a complete rifle as the lower is the only thing being registered as the rifle. If you buy one ftf or through a dealer as just a regular purchase then if there is a ban, this is not registered making it considered not a preban rifle.

If you buy just the lower and the dealer registers it on and fa10, then it is a registered firearm. you do not need a complete rifle as the lower is the only thing being registered as the rifle. If you buy one ftf or through a dealer as just a regular purchase then if there is a ban, this is not registered making it considered not a preban rifle.

Wrong.

A lower receiver is not considered a firearm by the state of Massachusetts, and any FA-10 sent in on it is at best superfluous and at worst a false submission.

wrong

if its register by a dealer its a firearm although when its originaly purchased they are not required to do an fa10 form. and this includes massachusetts

wrong

if its register by a dealer its a firearm although when its originaly purchased they are not required to do an fa10 form. and this includes massachusetts

Um, no.

It's an "other firearm" by Federal law regardless of how it is purchased.

It is not a firearm under Massachusetts law until assembled into such a configuration that it is capable of firing a shot. The fact that a dealer sold it and filed an extraneous FA-10 on it is immaterial.

Think of it like this:
Your states complete rifle thing beside the point.

If you buy just a Lower Receiver and there is a ban what do you think will happen to the price of the parts you need to complete the build ?

Will the price go down or will the price go up ?

Cue Jeopardy music while you think about this last question.

For $3500-5000? I'm not sure that's a great choice...

This is maybe the only time I will ever agree with you. I bought my H & K in 1999,unfired for $2,500.00 A very fine weapon. However at the end of the day,you can have just as much fun throwing rounds down range with the ar-15.

Back
Top Bottom