Ar-15 question

Hi guys I'm looking at a preban colt and I'm new to the ar's I was woundering if an older ar get worn down ( worried it would break and need to get it fixed) because I heard that it's a good ar to get. Or should I just buy a new bushmaster or stag. Any input would be great, thanks

Not too long ago AR's were plentiful. New AR's from reputable company's sold from $800 on up, Pre-Ban's commanded a premium and generally went for $1100 and up. If you were handy and resourceful you could build one up yourself and end up spending as little as $600.

Fast forward to TODAY. In the present world AR parts are very difficult to come by, and when you find them sellers generally want a premium. Complete rifles that were once $800 - $900 are selling for MUCH MORE than that now. Pre-Bans are commanding BIG premiums over what they were a year ago.

Who knows if these market conditions will continue? Prices certainly could continue to go up, perhaps even drastically if new laws are introduced restricting them further. Then again, the market could settle down and prices and availability could ease.

All that said, it takes a lot of effort to wear one out. Don't get me wrong, every part has a "useful life" then again almost every part is replaceable. If you are buying just make sure you get an accurate assessment of the condition of the rifle, there are plenty of folks here that could help with that. Bottom line, if your lower receiver is in great shape, there is nothing else that can not be fixed or upgraded if you have the time, the skills, and the money to do so.

Colt's have always seemed to command a premium over most other brands, personally I never saw a reason to pay it. There are MANY quality manufacturers out there, I would leave myself open to many of them.

Good luck on your search!

Just an added note to what the others have said, the ONLY reason to spend extra on a pre-ban is "evil features". If you can live with a fixed stock and without a bayonet lug, post ban rifles (from many manufacturers) are as good as pre-ban colts. (do some research, most lowers are made by one of three or four companies) If you absolutely must have the liberal scaring parts however the only way to do so is to get a pre-94 firearm. Just a pitfall to watch out for though, a while back I bought a pre-ban colt with the intent of making it into an M-4 style rifle. Well, I put some A-1 guards that I had laying around on it and low and behold, now I don't want to mess with the nostalgia of it and I'm stuck with a really expensive A-1 style rifle. Either way the AR is a great platform with infinite possibilities and one can't go wrong owning one (or four). Best of luck in your search.

I like the look of it but I didn't know if because it's older that it would not shoot as well as a new ar. And then i would be looking for parts. He wants 1400 for the colt it looks like it's in good condition. I just don't know what to go with. Everyones advise is great and it's a BIG help to have you guys to check in with.

I like the look of it but I didn't know if because it's older that it would not shoot as well as a new ar. And then i would be looking for parts. He wants 1400 for the colt it looks like it's in good condition. I just don't know what to go with. Everyones advise is great and it's a BIG help to have you guys to check in with.

If you're looking for a more in depth opinion, more detail is needed. What kind of stock is on the rifle currently? Is it an HBAR? Type of handguards? Sights? etc. This would also give you an idea if there's something about the rifle you want to replace, knowing what you're going to upgrade immediately, for example the stock, add that into the price of what you're going to swap out. How many mags, too? It's almost akin to saying "I may buy my friend's Toyota" without knowing what the bells and whistles are, will get you different advice.

Your post ban will become pre ban if Obama and the Gun Grabbers have their way

Hi guys I'm looking at a preban colt and I'm new to the ar's I was woundering if an older ar get worn down ( worried it would break and need to get it fixed) because I heard that it's a good ar to get. Or should I just buy a new bushmaster or stag. Any input would be great, thanks

I would buy a preban Colt (or any other preban gun) before most post ban guns, but thats just me, however I WOULD make sure your gun uses standard size pins, at various times COLT played with different pin sizes for both the fire control group and front reciever pin, so make sure it is standard "small pin"...now as for parts breaking, I have had my M16 for a long time, and put lots of rounds through it, those who have seen me at shoots know I beat my guns, only thing I have had "break" on the 16 is a few melted hand gaurds...and you won't have that problem on a semi ar

Wants $1400 for it.

Go new, like others mentioned, Colt did some weird things to defy interchangeability. Pick a new bushmaster or even new Colt with everything built to mil-spec (except buffer tube on the comm brands, a moot point for ban states) and you won't be disappointed.

I'd recommend reading AR15.com's "what breaks in a carbine course" to figure out what you might need to consider replacing on a used gun and to learn about ARs in general.

Anyone ever shoot a yhm ar ? Are they any good?

I handled one at YHM around Thanksgiving, but didn't get a chance to shoot it. Seemed like good quality and well made. They set much stock on their "Diamond fluting" process, but it is really supposed to be a cooling enhancement more than a weight saver.

I did not like their flip up front sights; I prefer sights that are solid and theirs had a bit of play front to back. But I don't prefer that type anyway.

Keep in mind the Colt will / May have 2 kinds of pin issues.

The Hammer and trigger pins in the lower may be larger depending on vintage and then the Take down and Pivot pin that separates the upper and lower.

I was lucky as I have a Colt rifle that has the mil spec take down and pivot pins.

But its not pre ban its called the Colt CAR A3 HBAR ELITE.

This is an example of a Colt AR rifle that does not have the large Take down and Pivot pins.

Although it does still have the larger Trigger and Hammer pins.

Examples

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=39165

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119757696

orig.jpg

Last edited:
There is only one part you can't really place/repair very readily on an AR-15: the lower receiver. Everything else can be repaired or replaced. Provided the rifle wasn't abused, the lower receiver should pretty much last a very, very long time if it is a high quality forging like a Colt or Bushmaster.

I would say get the pre-ban if that is what you want.

Back
Top Bottom