AR-15 question..?

ar-15's are perfectly legal to own. you just cant own a fully auto, one w/ a bayonet lug, flash suppresor, collapsable stock one or any"post-ban" high cap mags. Since you are in Taunton I would suggest heading up to Zero hour in easton, they have plenty of examples of both MA ok and non-MA ok firearms and can school you on the differences. also keep in mind you can legally buy guns in FTF transactions that FFL dealers won't do.

If i have my ltc A no restrictions i can own a AR-15 ? isnt that a machine gun ?

Awesome!!!

I love how our state completely screws with everyone's understanding of firearms. Must be the globe.

77d3d70b.jpg

Sorry for giving you a hard time, but this is just super basic, fundamental information. It's actually good that people that have obviously not been raised around firearms get into a guns at an later age (over 21). Although this really should have been covered in your LTC class.

So, anyways, ya you can own an AR. Check out Four Seasons in Woburn (gun store). Smith and Wesson makes a nice AR and these guys often them have in stock.

Alright who taught your class?

and an AR is not a assault rifle (notice how theres one F in rifle) it is a sporting rifle. You will need a LTC-A (restricted or unrestricted depending on your town). as long as you have an LTC -A you can own highcapacity firearms, note i said firearms not high capacity mags. you need preban ones for that.

Also you need to follow the assault weapons ban. which is a load of shit, which only a few states even have MA being one of them.

also welcome to the ass backward Gun laws of MA.

Get your money back from the person who gave you the safety course and get some good training before you start
playing with firearms.

I would get yourself informed whether it be by reading here or taking another course. also, you have one of the nicest clubs in the part of the state in your back yard in the Taunton Rifle and pistol club, I would suggest joining.

Thanks alot guys ..believe it or not ..half the shit ive learned has been from this site and people telling me shit ..thanks again

Just keep reading up on this site and others and you'll learn a lot. We all started somewhere. I was the same way when I first got my license. I knew nothing then I found this site and others.

and an AR is not a assault rifle (notice how theres one F in rifle) it is a sporting rifle. You will need a LTC-A (restricted or unrestricted depending on your town). as long as you have an LTC -A you can own highcapacity firearms, note i said firearms not high capacity mags. you need preban ones for that.

You're wrong. Please don't correct spelling, make spelling errors yourself, then give incorrect gun law advice.

There's (notice the apostrophe) no need for a Class A LTC. You can own an AR-15 or any other high capacity (notice how they're two words) semi-auto rifle with a Class B LTC.

Last edited:
It also depends on the type of lower receiver you have from my understanding. If you have a Pre AWB Lower Receiver there are no restrictions in regards to flash hider, bayonet lug, and collapsable buttstock.

It also depends on the type of lower receiver you have from my understanding. If you have a Pre AWB Lower Receiver there are no restrictions in regards to flash hider, bayonet lug, and collapsable buttstock.

correct. As long as it was in the "pre ban" configuration in it's life before the passing of the AWB. This is sometimes hard or impossible to tell, though.

I found some Olympic Arms AR-15 Lowers that have a manufacture date before the ban of 94. I checked the Oly Arms website and verified the info with one of the serial numbers, and the model was a MFR for multi function rifle. I would imagine that covers all AR-15 Platform caliber's.

You're wrong. Please don't correct spelling, make spelling errors yourself, then give incorrect gun law advice.

There's (notice the apostrophe) no need for a Class A LTC. You can own an AR-15 or any other high capacity (notice how they're two words) semi-auto rifle with a Class B LTC.

Wow. I never realized MA law sucked so badly. I always thought one could own an ar-15 as long as they had an FID. So is MA law so bad that you can't even own a handgun with only and FID?

Wow. I never realized MA law sucked so badly. I always thought one could own an ar-15 as long as they had an FID. So is MA law so bad that you can't even own a handgun with only and FID?

On an FID you can only own low capacity firearms (10 rounds or less, and believe you are limited to long arms), you need a LTC-B for high capacity long arms and low capacity handguns, while the LTC-A gets you large capacity long arms and handguns.

What licence is needed to own a AR-15 in MA ?

LTC-A or LTC-B

If i have my ltc A no restrictions i can own a AR-15 ? isnt that a machine gun ?

Yes, you can own one. No, they are not machine guns.

I thought an ar-15 was an assault riffle ...

The AR-15 is not an assault rifle. The AR-15 is however sometimes configured as an assault weapon.

Lets not chase away a new guy! Jeez!

+1 We were all noobs once.

lol..i took a basic pistol safety course ..they didnt inform me on much man ..just how to take a part pistols and how to shoot them !

But I thought NRA Basic Pistol was best because it has live fire [thinking]

On an FID you can only own low capacity firearms (10 rounds or less, and believe you are limited to long arms), you need a LTC-B for high capacity long arms and low capacity handguns, while the LTC-A gets you large capacity long arms and handguns.

Close, but not quite. The FID allows you to possess a non-large capacity long gun. A large capacity long gun is a rifle that is semi-automatic and holds more than 10 rounds in an attached or detachable magazine and shotgun that is semi-automatic and holds more than 5 rounds in an attached or detachable magazine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom