AR-15 gas block - set screws or pins?

Any ideas on which is better - set screws or pins? I am planning out a build and I am going to use a low profile gas block. Any pros or cons for set screws? Pins?

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Garrett

set screws would allow a little better alignment I would think. I know you van get a AR with set screws for the standard sight base. Allowing some windage correction.

You may not have a choice. Pins can only be used with barrels and gas blocks that are specifically made for them. I have been using set screws for years with almost no problems; one time I forgot the red Loctite and the screws backed out.

Set screws would absolutely be a better fit for your gas block. Pins aren't as effective in holding the block in place. This is my experience at least.

Set screws are much easier to work with, and after some Loctite are usually quite reliable. Pinning a barrel is solid, but will require some investment in tools and tooling to do properly, as well as a willingness to risk both the barrel and gas block on a process you have one shot at getting right. I prefer pinning, and use the set screws on gas blocks to help hold alignment while drilling and reaming for pins. Pinning a gas block or FSB might be one of the few actual gunsmithing type jobs (as opposed to assembly jobs) on an AR.

Set screws are much easier to work with, and after some Loctite are usually quite reliable. Pinning a barrel is solid, but will require some investment in tools and tooling to do properly, as well as a willingness to risk both the barrel and gas block on a process you have one shot at getting right. I prefer pinning, and use the set screws on gas blocks to help hold alignment while drilling and reaming for pins. Pinning a gas block or FSB might be one of the few actual gunsmithing type jobs (as opposed to assembly jobs) on an AR.

Is pinning worth the extra work?

It is for me, but it's not the ultimate answer for every situation. A pinned block is less likely to fail by moving out of position than a set screw block, but that does not automatically imply that set screw blocks are unreliable. You should look at your worst case situation if the gas block does move. If the worst thing that happens is you miss the second gopher or had a rifle stop working on the range, then the resources you'll spend pinning a block could be best spent elsewhere. When I started pinning blocks, I already had all the tooling and equipment I needed with the exception of a 2/0 taper reamer and pins, so it wasn't much of an investment for me. Plus, it's the sort of project I enjoy doing. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom