AR 15 ambi mag release question/compare

mac1911

NES Member
I have a norgon ambi-mag release. It works well. I have another AR in the works. Has any one tried the power custom over size ambi mag release?
Has anyone by chance have had both. Also for you lefty guys. Any ambi safty that works well? I have one from RRA, when operating it with my left thumb it seems not to work well? I could just not be used to it?

I have a ambi safety on my RRA lower, but I don't recall the manufacturer. I had to sand off a little of the hogue grip on the left side so that it worked smoothly.

I have a couple of RRA ambi safeties. They work well enough, but both required a little break in time. The track machined into the safety that the plunger rides in was rough, the plunger was rough, and the detent holes at each end had a pretty sharp lip on them. After a little polishing of the plunger and track, and breaking the edge on the detent holes a little, they got better. You could get the same effect by sitting in front of the TV and cycling the safetey on and off for a while. I have noticed that other people in the room get a lot less nervous if you do this without the upper installed. Like I was really going to shoot my own TV!!! [wink]

They also might feel a little odd for a lefty shooter because you don't have to move your hand. When operating a right hand AR safety, a lefty is either moving their thumb around the grip, or moving their hand down to use their index finger. With the ambi installed, operated by the thumb without having to contort your hand around the grip, the safety lever on the left side may drag across your hand behind the index finger, which definitely felt odd to me, at first.

Haven't tried the ambi mag releases - I guess I've adjusted to using my right hand for the whole mag change cycle, although that does force me to witch to my left hand to release the bolt catch. Maybe I should look into those.....

Back
Top Bottom