Appraisal Needed - M1 Carbine

I'm looking for a reliable firearms appraiser in or around Berkshire County. I have an Inland Division M-1, 5-digit S/N in good shape.

I don't want to sell it ... just need to know if it has any special value for insurance purposes.

Any referral would be appreciated.

A five digit? That's gonna be worth over $1000 easily. Does it have the early features (no bayonet lug, flip rear sight?)

Also, field strip and check the receiver to see if its a spring tuber.

A five digit is gonna be worth over a thousand to begin with, and if it's in original condition, even more so.

As for an appraiser, no idea, but it'd probably not hurt to take a number of photos of it and post them on the ODCMP carbine forum or maybe the M1 section on AR15.com.

But as a short, insufficient answer, that carbine is worth more than your regular Inland by a bit.

A five digit? That's gonna be worth over $1000 easily. Does it have the early features (no bayonet lug, flip rear sight?)

Also, field strip and check the receiver to see if its a spring tuber.

A five digit is gonna be worth over a thousand to begin with, and if it's in original condition, even more so.

As for an appraiser, no idea, but it'd probably not hurt to take a number of photos of it and post them on the ODCMP carbine forum or maybe the M1 section on AR15.com.

But as a short, insufficient answer, that carbine is worth more than your regular Inland by a bit.

Yes, it does have those features. There's a stamp on the barrel that says "8-42" which I take to be a date of manufacture (?). Seems to have all matching serial numbers ...

I researched it as best I could at one time, and figured $1200, maybe.

This rifle was once owned by an Army officer who served in Germany after WWII. He had amassed a sizable collection during his lifetime. There were a few items remaining in the collection when the deceased owner's son asked me to help him dispose of the collection for him. Most of what was left was ordinary stuff, except for this M1, and a Winder musket.

In return for helping him, I got to take one gun for a discount price ... in this case $250. This was about 8 years ago.

So I figure I got a good deal. It's not armory-new, but it was never knocked around.

I'm no expert, unlike others here ... that's why I'm here. Truth be told, I would be hesitant to field strip it because I'm a dope, so I don't know about the spring tuber thing ... But the time has come to find out just exactly what I have.

If it helps, the serial number is 486xx.

Sounds like a keeper!

The 5 digit SN and matching numbers are a definite plus.

I don't know it's value, but perhaps this person could give you an estimate... http://www.carbineclub.com

+1 on inquiring on the ODCMP forum, and perhaps here as well...

http://www.m1carbineclub.com

Edit to add...

From this thread in the CMP Carbine forum...

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41904

It looks like a number of 5 digit Inlands were placed on auction rather than straight sales.
Normally...they'll only do that for carbines that have some collectible significance (manufacturer, condition, low serial number, matching numbered parts, ect).

Last edited:
Sounds like a keeper!

The 5 digit SN and matching numbers are a definite plus.

I don't know it's value, but perhaps this person could give you an estimate... http://www.carbineclub.com

+1 on inquiring on the ODCMP forum, and perhaps here as well...

http://www.m1carbineclub.com

Edit to add...

From this thread in the CMP Carbine forum...

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41904

It looks like a number of 5 digit Inlands were placed on auction rather than straight sales.
Normally...they'll only do that for carbines that have some collectible significance (manufacturer, condition, low serial number, matching numbered parts, ect).

I'm on it, LogIn. Thanks for the lead!

And while I'm at it ... (too bad it's a "school night. I now have SO much reading to do) ... A funny aside: When I first moved to Berkshire County on '02, the phone company guy who came to get my house set up with extra lines and stuff wore a name tag that said ... "Garand".

Yepper. It was his great uncle who designed the M1 at Springfield Armory. I took out the carbine and we talked a bit. He said he liked our location and always wanted to live in a house with a stream (we have several) and I told hime to come by and visit anytime.

'Course, he never did.

But is that some crazy sh&t, or what?

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Garand

Sounds like an original. 1200 is a bit low. I'd think closer to 2000, maybe more. But I'm not an expert on high value carbines. That low of a number should be in the spring tube range...

Don't take any random offers on it like "oh, it's only worth $1000, I'll take it off your hands" - you will want to post on the carbine forums.

Last edited:
Sounds like an original. 1200 is a bit low. I'd think closer to 2000, maybe more. But I'm not an expert on high value carbines. That low of a number should be in the spring tube range...

Don't take any random offers on it like "oh, it's only worth $1000, I'll take it off your hands" - you will want to post on the carbine forums.

I just signed up at ODCMP, and must wait to be approved. The other venues mentioned in this thread are also good reference sources. I appreciate the interest and information.

Y'know, I really ought to go for a C&R license ... just got left with a bad taste in my mouth for federal goons after the Janet Reno FFL crackdown (I had an FFL some years ago). But that's another story for another day.

But researching old milsurp firearms really is exciting. Lotta history there. I can see why guys get into it. I also have what seems to be a Nagant revolver ... in between M1 researches tonight I think I narrowed it down pretty close to a Model 1882, which is not (evidently) a true Nagant design.

Fascinating.

Then there's the old Santa Fe Jungle Carbine, cobbled together from various Enfield parts. Another project ...

And, yes ... one does have to be careful of predators. Once, when I was down and out and needing cash fast I took the carbine to a gun shop here in the 'shires. I figured we could set a price and he'd take a 20% consignment fee. But, no. He said "you tell me what you think you can get for it, and we'll sell it for as much as we can get and keep the difference". Damn!

So I sold my 1870 Louis Vuitton steamer trunk on eBay instead. Thank God!

If you're looking for the regional expert on M-1 Carbines, here he is - Mr. Charles Hadley of Cape Elizabeth, ME. He's the one you see at most of the gun shows in New England with three racks full of carbines.

Give him a call at 207-741-2655 (or 207-767-2708). But be prepared for a long conversation - he loves to talk carbines!

It' going to be worth quite a bit if all the parts are marked properly. HAve you pulled the trigger group out and checked all the markings? Every part has a stamp and the more that are marked with the Inland stamp the better. The date on the barrel you mentioned is the barrel mfg date.

Does it have a high wood, I cut stock?

Just a suggestion but I believe if you look in the GOAL newletter there are a few advertisers that do appraisal's. Just want to see them get a chance/support if they are in your area.

If you're looking for the regional expert on M-1 Carbines, here he is - Mr. Charles Hadley of Cape Elizabeth, ME. He's the one you see at most of the gun shows in New England with three racks full of carbines.

Give him a call at 207-741-2655 (or 207-767-2708). But be prepared for a long conversation - he loves to talk carbines!

Thanks, Ken. I'll call him on my next day off ... Good Friday, according to the Union Calendar!

It' going to be worth quite a bit if all the parts are marked properly. HAve you pulled the trigger group out and checked all the markings? Every part has a stamp and the more that are marked with the Inland stamp the better. The date on the barrel you mentioned is the barrel mfg date.

Does it have a high wood, I cut stock?

I can't answer your questions, I'm afraid, because I ([sad2]) lack the requisite expertise. Last time I took a gun apart, it was a Ruger MKIII ... big mistake. Sent it back to the factory to fix, which they did, no charge.

A man has got to know his limitations.

The I cut stock is pretty obvious. Look at the cutout in the stock where the oiler goves. Is it just an elongated oval/cylinder or does it have cuts at the top making it resemble an I?

carbinexx.jpg

the two points that determine an early stock. Note the high wood as pointed out. The wood goes up just at the front of the charging handle. That wood was removed in later models as it tended to crack off the early ones. Later ones had the wood all at the same (lower) level.

Also notice early carbines did not have a bayo lug on the front barrel band.

This is an early Winchester but it had a later sight added somewhere along the line.

Sorry for the low qual pic, it was cut out of and blown up from another picture I had.

Here's a later one for comparison:
Web%20100_0125.jpg

Last edited:
Damn. I'm thinking I have a later model M1, and thus not so collectible. Still, it's a pretty rifle. A joy to hold. Here are some detail photos:

2-2008_0304002.jpg

2-2008_0304001.jpg

I-cuts are pretty rare. But you do have a "high wood" stock which is correct for such an early carbine. You've got a valuable little rifle there.

Can you give me a closer shot of the rear of the trigger guard? It looks like you have a stamped trigger housing.

From what I can see, you have high wood but no I cut, that's still early. Some brands didn't have the I cut, most did. I’ll have to check but memory tells me that Inland didn’t have the I cut. You have the push button safety and flip sight which are early too
So far so good!

On the left of the stock where the sling goes thru the stock, is a cut out, called the sling well. THere should be stampings in there, like in this Winchester, there is a w:

webw.jpg

can you see what is on yours?

Is there a bayonet lug on the front of the stock, around the barrel? It would look like this:
100_0131.jpg

If so, it's a later add on and there should be a stamping on it, like the W on the one pictured.

If you post (or PM me) the serial number, I can probably tell you when it was made.

except for taking it all apart, and checking each peice, I think you've got a pretty original one.

Last edited:
I-cuts are pretty rare. But you do have a "high wood" stock which is correct for such an early carbine. You've got a valuable little rifle there.

Can you give me a closer shot of the rear of the trigger guard? It looks like you have a stamped trigger housing.
Hope this helps:

3-2008_0304003.jpg

3-2008_0304001.jpg

Pilgrim,

Here's a photo of the sling well and barrel.

The marking on the sling well looks like TN, but I imagine it should be IN, for Inland? I didn't see the word "TRIMBLE" until I looked at the photo ...

4-2008_0304003.jpg

4-2008_0304001.jpg

Edited to add: TN refers to Trimble Nursery and Furniture Co., Rochester NY (?)

Huh.

I learn and learn.

Last edited:
OK, the trigger housing is not correct for a carbine of this serial number. Inland did not make the stamped "Type IV" housings, all of theirs were milled.

What is the date on the barrel, if any?

not knowing the exact serial number, 5 digit rifles were made from approx late Aug to late Nov 42.

Barrel is probably original.

Serial is 486xx. So, it looks like I have an Inland barrel and receiver, barrel dated 8-42 ... Trimble wood ... and some-other-guy's trigger ... (?)

Huh.[thinking]

I really am enjoying this discussion, and thinking I need to get more involved in military surplus arms and curios. You guys know a lot of stuff. And you're just going to get me into trouble by encouraging my interest, I think.

Well, it could have been rebuilt. Check the left side of the pistol grip to see if there's an AAXX marking or anything.

Or it could have been a replacement for a damaged original housing.

Would also be interesting to see the bolt, but I take it you're not all that enthused about field stripping

Well, it could have been rebuilt. Check the left side of the pistol grip to see if there's an AAXX marking or anything.

Or it could have been a replacement for a damaged original housing.

Would also be interesting to see the bolt, but I take it you're not all that enthused about field stripping

No such marking is visible, and I'll leave it to a more capable person to take it apart! I just get into trouble that way ...

It's extremely easy. Just loosen the screw on the barrel band, then depress the spring that is holding it on the stock and slide it forward. Lift the barrel and receiver up and out.

Pilgrim,

Here's a photo of the sling well and barrel.

The marking on the sling well looks like TN, but I imagine it should be IN, for Inland? I didn't see the word "TRIMBLE" until I looked at the photo ...

4-2008_0304003.jpg

4-2008_0304001.jpg

Edited to add: TN refers to Trimble Nursery and Furniture Co., Rochester NY (?)

Huh.

I learn and learn.

The sling and mag pouch appears to be in remarkably good shape from what little I can see (assuming original issue GI).

Those two items and the oiler (if WW-II original), are worth $85-$100.00.

I'd like to see pics of the whole rifle. [grin]

No such marking is visible, and I'll leave it to a more capable person to take it apart! I just get into trouble that way ...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/m1carbine/rifledisassembly/index.asp

Back
Top Bottom