Apply for Non-res then res?

I'm a competitive shooter and soon to be MA LTC holder. I mainly compete in CT, though, and also have a residence here. Unfortunately, it falls under New Haven's jurisdiction so I would need to apply for my resident permit in New Haven. A friend just went and was told it was going to be 3 months just for the interview - god only knows how much longer after that.

My question is:
Can I apply for a non-resident permit and then for a resident permit later on?
It seems like the non-resident permit is faster?
Also, what happens if my residential address changes during the approval process? I'm fairly sure I'll be moving apartments but I'm not exactly sure where yet.

Thanks!

Tenring,

You can't be a resident and a nonresident at the same time.

Do you spend time in New Haven at the location in question? Or do you just own the property?

If you spend time there, even if its only a few weekends a year, durring that time, you are a lawful resident of New Haven, CT.

If you are a student and are spending part of the year there, its very grey. In the summer, you are definitely not a resident of Ct. In that case I'd suggest you put a non-resident app in as soon as you come home to MA.

PM me and we can swap emails. I'll be able to give you more info.

Don

p.s. Remember, you have only one Domicile. But you can have many residences. For example, my brother in law is domiciled in NY City. He has a weekend home in CT that he spends probably 75 days per year at. It was perfectly lawful for him to get a RESIDENT CT permit.

p.s. Remember one other thing. The wait for a resident permit in New Haven may be worth it, since it will allow you to buy handguns that are not available to MA residents. This is HUGE. You could LEGALLY get a gen4 glock (or any other non approved gun) in CT and then bring it into MA on an FA10 provided you got some low cap mags for it.

Back
Top Bottom