Appleseed Rifle Shoots in Massachusetts!

The Rifle program at Harvard Sportsmen's Club in Harvard, Massachusetts is starting up today.

The website with the details is www.harvardriflemen.com. Appleseeds train rifle marksmanship fundamentals for all ages and all rifles. There's some general info at the end of this post too.

We are holding 25M AQT practices on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of the month from 5:30pm to dusk starting March 26th.

We held our first AQT clinic on Saturday March 31st from 3pm to dusk.

The next two Saturday dates will be April 28th and May 26th. Both 3pm-dusk.

If there's nobody there at 5:30 on Mondays, that means I'm stuck on Route 2 somewhere but on my way. The 25/50 yard range will be the first range you see on the left when you drive straight down the entrance road (don't make any turns... just drive straight). The range is covered, so I'll be out there rain, shine, or snow. If it's looking really bad, bring a .22 rifle and we can go inside.

These are open to the public and free (for now).

Hope to see you there. [smile]

Info:
--------------------------------------------------------
What is Appleseed:
Appleseed is a grass roots program popping up all over the country started by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association (www.rwva.org). The basic premise is that the health of the Second Amendment (and the country) is directly proportional to the number of active Riflemen and Riflewomen in it. Mini-Appleseed events (like this one) are basically groups getting together on their own and shooting. Full-scale Appleseed events (like what will be happening in Hartford, CT on 4/21 and 4/22) are weekend long shoots where RWVA national instructors will travel to a location and anywhere from dozens to hundreds of shooters will come to learn from them. The program has been around for a little bit over a year now, and ~1000 people have come to appleseed events so far. This year's calendar is already packed with events almost every weekend somewhere around the country.

What do we shoot:
I like to explain appleseed to other shooters as an entry level version of NRA High Power rifle -- less gear, less distance, less money, but building almost all of the same skills. It's a Junior Varsity to High Power's Varsity (living happily together) The standard course of fire is the Army Qualification Test (AQT) on scaled targets at 25 meters (simulating 100, 200, 300, 400 meter targets) in standing, sitting/kneeling and prone positions. Scoring 200 out of 250 for an "expert" Rifleman score is the basic level of proficiency we're shooting for (~4MOA, or 1" at 25 yards or 4" at 100 yards). When space, time, and skill allow we shoot long range too (Harvard has a 100yard range we will use, and a 200/300 yard range for club members only), but the bulk of practice is done at 25 meters.

What equipment do we use:
The single requirement is any safe, working rifle (bolt/semi/whatever) in any caliber (22lr to 30.06+) that'll reach 25 meters. If I were to suggest a rifle to get the most out of the program, it would be semiauto, mag-fed (10 round mags are fine) with iron sights but if you have something other than that, the program will bend for you. In addition, you might want to bring whatever you need to be comfortable in prone (mat/carpet/tarp and some elbow protection).

Last edited:
Well, we had what restaurants call a "soft" opening. My wife (who promised she'd be the only one even if nobody else came) didn't even go when she saw the skies open up. It ended up being just me, the rain, and a whole bunch of ventilated 1" squares.

But quite a few of you have said you'll be coming this Saturday (March 31st) so I'm looking forward to actually having a firing line to call.

I'll be out there either way. [smile]

Hi Crak, I'm definitely interested in attending this on Saturday. I have an AR-15 that hasn't seen to much action the last few years so this would be good for it. As an estimate, how much ammo should one bring for this? I'm assuming that 20 rnd mags would be better then the 30 rnders.

Great question on the ammo.

20 rounds for classifier
15 for a few sight-in stages
40 to walk through AQT stage-by-stage (10 for each stage)
X for drills (ball & dummy, target change, mag change, etc...)
40 for end-of-day AQT

The real unknown factor is for the drills. I don't have a great sense yet for timing or how much ammo gets used per drill. I'll estimate a generous 50 in for there, so that makes 165 rounds the minimum. If I were coming to shoot, I'd bring 200 just in case.

Just to repeat the weather thing:
I'll be out there and the shoots will go on regardless of weather. The firing line is covered and nothing of mine got wet yesterday in the rain. If it gets bad, we can bring .22 rifles inside to the 50 ft range. I've been rained on pretty much every time I do something with the name "appleseed" attached to it no matter where I go so I'm used to it. [smile]

I won't be making many of the weekend shoots with my new job, but I'm looking forward to getting to the Monday ones. I'm planning on concentrating on .22 with my 10/22 but will also bring the SKS as well.

I'm going to give it a go for this Saturday as well! I need to get some use out of my Ar15 as well. I guess I need to check what I have for ammo!

The Rifle program at Harvard Sportsmen's Club in Harvard, Massachusetts is starting up today.

We are holding 25M AQT practices on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of the month from 5:30pm to dusk starting March 26th (that's today!)

We are holding an AQT clinic on Saturday March 31st from 3pm to dusk. We plan to have at least one weekend clinic/match per month.

I would like to try the Appleseed clinic but cannot make the sessions consistently. Is that an issue?

Just got back from Harvard

A big THANK YOU goes out to crack ! The Appleseed shoot was a fantastic refersher in the fundamentals for me. [grin]

It was great to meet up with fellow NES'ers and meet some new folks at the shoot.

Now for some supper...

Just got home myself and I'm beat. Thanks again to Crak for running this. I don't have much time behind my AR so I'm sorry if I slowed things down- but I learned a lot and I appreciate it!

Always nice to meet new NESers too!

Thanks crak, both for an enjoyable and informative afternoon and for starting up this program at Harvard. I'll be there again next month.

Thanks Crak for putting this clinic together. I had a great time and learn a few things, which is always a good thing. Hopefully I'll get some free time and be able to do a few Monday shoots. Thanks again.

Always good to get together with other NESers.

Woah. I could've met the guy who sponsored me? Awesome. Those cans were taking a beating. [smile]

It was a perfect day for this sort of thing. There were eight shooters on the line trying to shoot their way into the Rifleman category. I have no doubt that given a little more time behind their rifles, many would have been able to proudly put down their spatulas and be Cooks no more; but we only had 4 hours.

After some interesting results on the no-sighters intro target, we did a few rounds of sighting in while going over Inches, Minutes, Clicks, and the six steps of firing the perfect shot. We went through the keys to good prone, offhand, and sitting positions. After those bases were covered, we did a version of the ball and dummy drill that takes a little longer than the usual one, but I believe helps shooters get rid of flinches better. Finally we shot the full Quick-and-Dirty AQT. It was a two day course squished into an afternoon, but that's why we'll be out there on a regular basis.

Thanks to everybody who came out. It was great to see everybody. And triple thanks to HSC for letting me start this up there (especially Rick who got everything including mats!)

I've put in for April 28th and May 26th as the next two weekend dates but they're not totally official yet, so I'll announce when they're set. There'll be a club newsletter put out in time for this one, so I expect an even bigger crowd. The 2nd and 4th Mondays are all official and should have a higher shooting to talking ratio.

April 28th??? crak, are you on crack? You're going to be in CT on April 28th, loaning my nephew a .22 at the Hartford Appleshoot, aren't you?

Will you be going over all that stuff on the Monday shoots? I'm definitly after getting some formal training on rifle shooting, and I hope the satuff covered on Saturdays will be done on Mondays as well.

April 28th??? crak, are you on crack? You're going to be in CT on April 28th, loaning my nephew a .22 at the Hartford Appleshoot, aren't you?

Nope. Wrong week, Dwarfy!

Here's my April schedule:
3/31 Harvard, MA: Mini-Appleseed Clinic
4/9 Harvard, MA: AQT Shoot
4/14-4/15 Furlong, PA: Appleseed Weekend
4/21-4/22 Hartford, CT: Appleseed Weekend
4/23 Harvard, MA: AQT Shoot
4/28 Harvard, MA: AQT Clinic/Match (not official yet)

Will you be going over all that stuff on the Monday shoots? I'm definitly after getting some formal training on rifle shooting, and I hope the satuff covered on Saturdays will be done on Mondays as well.

Yes. [smile]

Whoops. You're right. My bad.

guess I better log in and reserve my spot, too, now that I think of it.

Assuming you're referring to Hartford 21/22, preregistering is good, but not required. So, to anybody that decides to come at the last minute, room WILL be found on the line for you.

And we'll be looking for you there.

If anybody is going to want ammo brought down from up here, let me know.

And, you are bringing that M1, aren't you, Ross?

And, you are bringing that M1, aren't you, Ross?
Betsy is ready to go, Rog! What's the round count, though? I might need more ammo...

I'll be bringing my nephew and his YL; I've got a .22 for one of them and crak's bringing another to loan us. I'm also trying to talk a friend who lives locally (ex-SeaBee and current Guardsman) into coming, too. Since we'll be staying at his place, it only seems fair...

Round count for the 2-day weekend appleseeds is 400 for each shooter.

If you're going to get some for my 10/22, it loves (and is currently zeroed for) CCI Mini Mag. It doesn't feed CCI Standard velocity.

April 28th and May 26th are now official as the next two Saturday dates. Original post updated. I'm going to try to make the end-of-day AQT into some sort of match at those.

Just a reminder that I'm holding a Monday practice tomorrow April 9th. 5:30pm on the 25 yard range until dusk (around 7:30).

If I'm not there or the gate is locked at 5:30 that means I'm stuck on Route 2 but on my way. Apologies in advance just in case. [smile]

Round count for the 2-day weekend appleseeds is 400 for each shooter.

If you're going to get some for my 10/22, it loves (and is currently zeroed for) CCI Mini Mag. It doesn't feed CCI Standard velocity.

Damn... your 10-22 has expensive tastes. Just bought 500 rounds of Minimag. I don't think I'll tell my nephew what it cost.

Back
Top Bottom