Appalachian Mountain Club. Stance on guns?

MP-In-The-Wind

NES Member
Does anyone know the AMC's stance on firearms? I'd rather not donate to a cause that would restrict gun ownership/use.
TIA

I havnt really researched it when I was a member but never saw anything that said they were either way on the issue, though I did get a lot of crap mail from the sierra club and other clubs theyre affiliated with saying sign this petition and vote this way on ultra liberal issues. I didnt bother to renew this year.

A friend was a member of the AMC for many years and I'm pretty sure they discourage carry, especially during trail grooming functions.

Most of those types of groups are frontally loaded with moonbats, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're overwhelmingly anti.

-Mike

I open carried my Smith Mod 65 while I was hiking AMC Green Leaf in NH, and even carried it into the lodge and into my room. Some people noticed it a little, but nobody said anything to me.

Most of those types of groups are frontally loaded with moonbats, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're overwhelmingly anti.

-Mike
This

Hiker/backpacker/mountain biker types are overwhelmingly liberal.

I subscribe to Backpacker Magazine and they were definitely not happy that one can now carry firearms for self defense in National Parks.

foxnews said:
The bears remained at large.

Lol oh noes, fugitive bears. This isn't some legendary killer ghost bear that ravages backcountry campsites to sake its lust for human flesh. Its an apex predator, in its own habitat, doing what comes natural.

The hikers should have been more prepared. Dirty water? Bring a filter. Cold a night? Pack a bag or bivvy. Rainy? Tarp. Bear country? .45-70

As far as the AMC, my google-fu was ineffective. This thread is like the 3rd or 4th hit actually. Best I could come up with is the shrieking moonbattery on forums spouting off shit like "If you're so afraid of the backcountry that you need a gun, maybe you should just stay at home."

FWIW, I intend to attempt a thru-hike of the AT in a couple years, GA-ME and I will be carrying. Not'a cuz of no bars. You run into some ****ed up people along the trail.

Generally speaking any kind of handgun in bear country is marginally effective unless they are of the Eddie Coyle Class (.500 S&W Mag)...but then there is the issue that most people have trouble handling and controlling an extremely large caliber handgun under stress unless they are dedicated handgun hunters. The main reason to carry a handgun in the wilderness is for protection against smaller predators such as mountain lions, and the two legged variety IMO.

I used to carry a .41 Magnum when I lived in Alaska, but I was young...today I look back and think: "who am I kidding..." Something like a Marlin Guide Gun in .444 Marlin or .45-70 would be more on the order of the day, or maybe a short barreled pump shotgun with slugs.

This

Hiker/backpacker/mountain biker types are overwhelmingly liberal.

I subscribe to Backpacker Magazine and they were definitely not happy that one can now carry firearms for self defense in National Parks.

the New England Mountain Bike Association doesnt like hunters.

thats reason number 1 why i didnt join. Reason #2 is: they call themselves NEMBA and that sounds alot like: NAMBLA (north American man boy love association, south park)

Generally speaking any kind of handgun in bear country is marginally effective unless they are of the Eddie Coyle Class (.500 S&W Mag)...but then there is the issue that most people have trouble handling and controlling an extremely large caliber handgun under stress unless they are dedicated handgun hunters. The main reason to carry a handgun in the wilderness is for protection against smaller predators such as mountain lions, and the two legged variety IMO.

I used to carry a .41 Magnum when I lived in Alaska, but I was young...today I look back and think: "who am I kidding..." Something like a Marlin Guide Gun in .444 Marlin or .45-70 would be more on the order of the day, or maybe a short barreled pump shotgun with slugs.

thats what i would carry.

I don' think the AMC takes a stance. I have been a member for years and read and post on a forum called whiteblaze.net. The subject has come up many times and many advocate carrying but most feel it is unnecessary since they feel safer there than in any city. I have to say I agree. I carry mace but no gun while hiking - too heavy.

Would there be any issue with that and hunting laws / Environmental Police? (the whole slugs out of season, anything over .38 where mammals are found bla bla bla in mass, etc.)

I don' think the AMC takes a stance. I have been a member for years and read and post on a forum called whiteblaze.net. The subject has come up many times and many advocate carrying but most feel it is unnecessary since they feel safer there than in any city. I have to say I agree. I carry mace but no gun while hiking - too heavy.

A few years back I had hopes of hiking the AT, there was a website that hosted through hikers journals. I think was trailplace.org or com. The subjects of bringing guns, phones/gps/electronics or dogs on a hike would send them into orbit, nothing at the mouth...

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

I am an avid hiker (mostly in the Whites) and a supporter of the AMC and the ATC, NOT for the Sierra Club (too rad for me). The AMC does not have an anti-gun policy. If you want, you can stay at one of their Maine Wilderness Lodges, and hunt from there (during season). In fact most of their employees from that area hunt. Now i can't say for the Hut system group, but carrying in the Whites is not illegal. The interesting thing is that the AMC does a good job in a balancing act between the Mass_moonbats and the backwoods gun-nuts in check. I don't think the AMC would openly support a gun related activity (liability insurance and the Mass_moonbat executives????) They act like we are the dirty red-headed step child and would rather not address us. In fact i prefer it. Just remember we are both for the preservation of the woods, just for different reasons. LL Bean is a major supporter of the AMC and they sell a lot of guns.

Now, for packing heat while hiking? I don't, too much weight, and I don't think there's ever a need. Animals prefer to stay away from us (mice excluded).

(snip) I don't think there's ever a need. Animals prefer to stay away from us (mice excluded).

Do you solo much? I do. I don't see it as much of an issue here in the north east, but I have run into the occasional wierdo. Not the naked hiker kind of weirdo either, more like .mil washout methhead psudeo-survivalist type. 2 legged critters are the concern. Now, if I was going into grizzly country, I'd suck it up and take the extra 7-8 lbs for a shotgun or brush gun.

Solo? 95% of the time. It's the only time I get, yet I will be out with the wife tomorrow in the Sandwich Notch area. Never ran into those you described, then again I'm post .mil and the guy you probably ran into. [smile]

As for pack'n, the OP talked about the AMC and it's in the New England area, not really Alaska. There, i would have a shotgun strapped to the pack for easier access then the water bottle.

There is NFW that I am going unarmed into the woods.

Not after the run in I had with a pack of dogs while on an overnight hike with the wife years ago in NE Kansas. I was unarmed like a good sheeple since KS did not have CCW then and the land was USACE (which still bans guns in it anyway).

I can only imagine how pissed I would be if the same happened today in the same circumstances with my child in tow (she's terrified of aggressive dogs).

Like I said, I don't care who disapproves, I go into the woods armed. In the east and midwest a polymer framed duty handgun is always with me when out in nature.

Oh, this one is for those who think they are always safe on the trails:
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...1&cop=mss&ei=UTF8&p=appalachian trail murders

Oh, this one is for those who think they are always safe on the trails:
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...1&cop=mss&ei=UTF8&p=appalachian trail murders

And for those who think guns are safe....
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...licted+wounds&SpellState=&fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top

The point is, no matter what, there is always a danger.I am sure if a true study was done, self-inflicted gun wounds/death would out number muder on the trail.

Before a flame war starts, I don't think it necessary, but understand and support the desire and right for others. That is why I live in NH (Live Free or Die) and not MA, CT or NY. You have the right to carry, as much as I have the right NOT to.

{BTW, need to go pack for tomorrow's backback adventure}

And for those who think guns are safe....

What do jackoffs mishandling firearms have to do with any of this? Guns are dangerous, no crap... that's why I carry one. [laugh]

The point is, no matter what, there is always a danger.I am sure if a true study was done, self-inflicted gun wounds/death would out number muder on the trail.

Again, how are morons committing suicide or shooting themselves with a gun relevant here?

This is anti logic.... the same logic that says that high bridges are dangerous because a lot of people die while jumping off of them. Opting out of the problem that creates the "bad statistic" is pretty easy to do. Things being correlated does not mean one caused/contributed the other.

Before a flame war starts, I don't think it necessary, but understand and support the desire and right for others. That is why I live in NH (Live Free or Die) and not MA, CT or NY. You have the right to carry, as much as I have the right NOT to.

I agree with this premise that people should have the freedom to make their own choices, but trying to blow typical anti smoke up people's backsides doesn't help your argument much.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom