• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

APEX Kit Question - Shield

I just finished installing the apex duty carry kit in my shield...

Striker blocker worked as it should when pressed on to test. After a few dry fire function checks it got stuck up (did not spring return)...

Removed and reinstalled and seems to be working fine now. I must have misaligned the spring while putting the sight back on (only thing I can think of, short of a defect or burr)...

Anyone else have that happen? Should be good to go right?

Thanks,

When I installed mine recently, I took it to the Pumpkin shoot and fired over 100 rounds through it. Worked just fine. Something you did wasn't right obviously but the only way to make sure it works now is to shoot it. Wouldn't want it to malfunction in an emergency.

When I installed mine recently, I took it to the Pumpkin shoot and fired over 100 rounds through it. Worked just fine. Something you did wasn't right obviously but the only way to make sure it works now is to shoot it. Wouldn't want it to malfunction in an emergency.

Roger that... Should be able to get out on Wednesday. Im sure it was that flimsy little spring not seating right.

I still question the video from Apex when the guy says "there spring" meanings Apex's does not engage the polymer washer like the stock spring, but apparently this will not be a problem or make a difference. A pretty bold statement from them stating it doesn't quite fit correctly but nothing here to see. I still think this spring could become mis-aligned and cause a malfunction. Now I don't know about any of the other M&P washers if they have that little tit on the polymer washer or not but having watched the video about twenty times that part bugs me every time!

I still question the video from Apex when the guy says "there spring" meanings Apex's does not engage the polymer washer like the stock spring, but apparently this will not be a problem or make a difference. A pretty bold statement from them stating it doesn't quite fit correctly but nothing here to see. I still think this spring could become mis-aligned and cause a malfunction. Now I don't know about any of the other M&P washers if they have that little tit on the polymer washer or not but having watched the video about twenty times that part bugs me every time!

I thought that was strange too. I guess some have the polymer washer with tit and some have a metal washer with no tit. That's what youtube fu or google fu came up with.

I have the polymer.

Just as a side note. I did install this on my M&P 9c today and sure enough it had the polymer washer with the 'Tit'. and if I couldn't get any weirder the spring fit on the so called tit. Strange? Certainly lightened the trigger pull and resets 'better' not great but better. Good luck with the shield.
Jim

Guys, how hard was it to remove the rear sight on your pistols? I have a new Shield and I'm considering either dropping in the Apex myself or having a smith work the trigger. The Apex install looks pretty straight forward except I've read the rear sight can be a bear.

Guys, how hard was it to remove the rear sight on your pistols? I have a new Shield and I'm considering either dropping in the Apex myself or having a smith work the trigger. The Apex install looks pretty straight forward except I've read the rear sight can be a bear.

I was so hesitant to do it cause of the horror stories I've heard of the sight being thought to move... Well the set screw came right out and the sight moved with a few good whacks with a hammer and brass punch.

ruined a brass punch but it was not nearly as bad as I thought.

It really was easy. I didn't even put it in a vise I used one of the bigger quick clamps for carpentry that home depo and lowes sell and clamped it down on top of a rubber glove to protect the finish. I did make sure I drifted it out the same direction the showed in the video but I cant imagine it matters much. Key I would say is a wide enough punch so your not kitty cornering it on the way out or in. Alright I confess, I also used a steel punch and still didn't F-UP the site. With tape on it of course.
good luck,
jim

I had to use Kroil on a M&P to do a Apex kit penetrating oil can help.

Kroil is the best penetrating oil, I have used it for my work for over twenty five years and haven't found a better oil yet.

On the M&P the sight only comes out in one direction I am guessing it is the same for the Shield.

Watch the videos and you will be fine.

I bought a good punch kit from Brownells for the price of a installation and have since used them on my Glocks and Ruger 10-22's.

On the Shield I did the rear sight and Allen screw were horrible to get off. I had to heat the Allen to break the break the Loctite. The rear sight was a beast also. Very tight in the slot. I just did a M&P 45 which was a breeze. The Allen did not need heat to release. Also bought a sight pusher off eBay for $30 which worked great, however the 45 rear sight was much looser in the slot than the Shield was.

For those who did this install, did you do just the duty carry kit or did you replace the trigger as well with the action enhancement kit? Wondering if the AEK is worth the additional $60.

Back
Top Bottom