Anyone Work Comms for Boston Marathon?

All right, the training was informative, there's gonna be a ton of EMTs this year.
Did they say they will post the training slides and/or videos for those of us that couldn't attend?

I wanted to attend, but I wanted more to attend Len-2A's "personal protection in the home" class yesterday. Good class with about 120 rounds of fun and useful drills. The kind they won't let me do at my home fudd range.

Last edited:
Did they say they will post the training slides and/or videos for those of us that couldn't attend?

I wanted to attend, but I wanted more to attend Len-2A's "personal protection in the home" class yesterday. Good class with about 120 rounds of fun and useful drills. The kind they won't let me do at my home fudd range.

Yes, the videos of the Amateur Radio part should be posted within the next week, 2 tops. They are also trying to obtain the videos from the first half that was for everyone.

Yeah, I'm going to add a Nagoya-771. Unless you can recommend an even better one.
I'm sure for 3X the money you could get one that's "better" but I doubt you'd notice any difference.

Watch out for buying the Nagoyas. It's been a while, but I've seen threads about there being a lot of counterfeit ones sold on eBay and maybe Amazon. The threads talked about clues in what the package (sleeve) it comes in looks like, or maybe it was the antenna itself that tell if it's counterfeit or not. Sorry, I don't recall where I read that.

Yeah, I found a good supplier. First time, I bought a fake.

If you are working any of the buses, you'd be better off getting a mag mount with a nice vertical. I remember reading some of the hams didn't do this their firs time out and learned the hard way.

If you are working any of the buses, you'd be better off getting a mag mount with a nice vertical. I remember reading some of the hams didn't do this their firs time out and learned the hard way.
I've also heard some got put in buses with fiberglass roofs[rofl]. One guy went to Home Depot and made a mount from industrial suction cups. Sticking the mag mount on the engine hood looks silly but has been done.

I've also heard some got put in buses with fiberglass roofs[rofl]. One guy went to Home Depot and made a mount from industrial suction cups. Sticking the mag mount on the engine hood looks silly but has been done.

Both correct. If working on a bus you NEED an external antenna, preferably hooked up to a mobile radio for more power. 90% of the busses have fiberglass roofs but they ALL have metal hoods to stick a mag-mount to.

I'm at Hydration Station#4. That's going to be easy duty! So early in the course I'll be packing up less than 2 hours after they release the last wave of runners. Of course I'll have to leave home at 3:45am to be at the briefing on time.

ETA:. I'm also working the BAA 5K on Saturday 4/15. I'm stationed at the first aid tent at the start/finish line. Minininjer is running the 5K, so if I keep a sharp eye out and look down I might see her and cheer her on[laugh]

Last edited:
Did we ever get the link to reserve tickets for the April 22 New England Revolution game?
I never heard about that.

On other fronts, I'm also working the BAA 5K Saturday 4/15. What a difference. Starts and ends at the same place. Everything will be on 1 repeater. In-n-out in about 4 hours. Easy.[smile]

Did we ever get the link to reserve tickets for the April 22 New England Revolution game?

Saw the same announcement from baa.org email and haven't received a link, either.

More disturbing from my standpoint, I have a general "transportation" assignment but I haven't received any follow-up communication regarding check-in time / location. Just "detailed instructions to follow" from last month. Also, "We will send you two more emails with important information on how to prepare for your assignment." Haven't seen these either.

Not sure what to make of this. Anyone else missing their detail information?

On 4/4 I received an email from Brett with a link to the bevy of documents including the master assignments list. PM me if you didn't get it and I'll send you the link.

On 4/4 I received an email from Brett with a link to the bevy of documents including the master assignments list. PM me if you didn't get it and I'll send you the link.

Thanks Cockpitbob, PM sent. Much appreciated.

I've also just emailed the coordinator for an update. I've seen emails from a couple of different sending addresses from these folk so I'm guessing that perhaps one of the addresses they use is hitting spam filter on my email server. Or, something. Not clear.

Thanks.

I had to look up my position on the master assignments list. Otherwise I only had the generic "Transportation" assignment by email.

Interesting. I've just emailed the contact email address at hamradioboston. If I get a response from the coordinator, I'll let them know that I may not be the only one missing some of the communication emails.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom