Anyone touched off a case with primer only?

Patriot

NES Member
I had a FTF on a 44 mag. It looked like a light strike on the primer. I removed
the bullet and powder. I definitely won't deprime the brass in the condition it
is in now, but would like to re-use the brass. That necessitates removing the
primer, preferably a discharged one.

Yes just treat it like it is a live round, take it to the range, load it and with it pointed @ the target try to fire just the primer. It might take several strikes.

I've deprimed many cases with live primers. Just go slow, wear hearing protection and safety glasses. Just for the record, I've never had one go off.

I have also deprimed tons of live primers. Just make sure you go slow, and make sure the decapping pin makes easy contact with the primer, and use steady pressure.

On the other hand, I have shot empty cases with primers only in my basement. Make sure you have hearing protection on, believe it or not, a primer alone is pretty loud!

I don't know about .44 primer loads, but I use 12ga primer only loads all the time for dog training. No problem at all, except they most definitely are LOUD!

I've deprimed many cases with live primers. Just go slow, wear hearing protection and safety glasses. Just for the record, I've never had one go off.

Ditto. Also make sure there are no containers of powder on the bench and that the powder measure is empty.

Isn't there a way to take a primed case and use it as a squib clearing
device? (at least in revolvers.... ) Say if you have a squib that didn't
quite make it out.... although one would think you'd need some powder
on top of that, and getting the powder to stay in the case might be
interesting.

Or is this dangerous because the pressure characteristics going on
behind the stuck bullet are seriously out of whack with normal conditions?

Edit: I realize in this particular case its kinda worthless, as TBP said he couldn't get it
to go off to begin with.

-Mike

Isn't there a way to take a primed case and use it as a squib clearing
device? (at least in revolvers.... ) Say if you have a squib that didn't
quite make it out.... although one would think you'd need some powder
on top of that, and getting the powder to stay in the case might be
interesting.

Or is this dangerous because the pressure characteristics going on
behind the stuck bullet are seriously out of whack with normal conditions?

Edit: I realize in this particular case its kinda worthless, as TBP said he couldn't get it
to go off to begin with.

-Mike

I wouldn't do it on a bet.

A rod and hammer will do the trick just fine without risking destruction of a nice gun.

I keep primed brass in my bag just for that reason, doesn't always work, but it is worth the try.

As for firing primers only in any revolver, the problem with that is the primer backs out making the cylinder difficult to open as the primer hits the blast shield.

As for taking them to the range and firing them off, even though my dog hates it, I do it in my cellar.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom