• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone taken a course from Travis Haley before?

I am hoping to get a slot in the D5 Handgun course taught by HSP at Sig this summer. I have a decent amount of rifle/carbine training, but no formal pistol training. That said, I've shot a handful of IDPA and informal 3-gun matches and have taught the basic firearms safety course for the last 5 or so years. I'm no novice to pistol, but I certainly would like some professional training... I figure given his background he could be/would be a valuable instructor. Outside of specialozed courses Im hesitant to spend money on people whos credentials are more limited.

Just curious if anyone has taken a course with HSP and what they thought if it. Everything I have read has been positive and from the videos I have seen I like his teaching style. His resume speaks for itself.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I think Haley definitely has his shit together with pistol, but if you are just looking for pure pistol shooting skills Sig has Steve Gilchrest (one of most underrated instructors in country imo), or Jerry Tetreau if he's still there. Both will give you MORE than enough to work on, for less $ probably... and their resumes are plenty impressive.

Travis is on my list to train with too, I only bring up Steve and Jerry because they are fantastic instructors, always there, and probably save you some money.

I have the fundamentals down. Im looking to be pushed. I am considering the bullets and vehicles class Sig offers. The HSP class is 800 for three 8-9 hour days from everything I read, which is on par with the sig price point.

A friend of mine works for sig and takes the classes for free and speaks very highly of them and the instructors.

Mike

Haley is coming to Sig?

I have Proctor on my list higher then Haley, and want to try and get into one of his classes this year.

I figured since Travis Haley is pretty much a verb in the shooting world it was only appropriate... But depending how on how it goes I'd definitely be open to taking more classes with more instructors. I am a little bummed Haley isn't bringing the Disruptive Environments course to Sig as it seems pretty awesome.

Mike

trainingSchedule_2016.jpg

Hmmm, blow an entire mortgage payment to take all the NH D's, then add an other grand in ammo? I hope these classes fill before I get to think seriously about it, I really need the money elsewhere.

Tom Givens is teaching a 3 day pistol class through NE Shooters at Pelham Fish and Game the Friday -Sunday before this Haley pistol class in August. You could stack them and take 6 days of intensive Handgun classes.

I'd love to take both Ds... did I just say that... but anyway, that is probably my first week of classes that semester, I can explain away a couple days, but I'd rather not miss my first week of all new classes.

I am planning on doing a pretty intensive day or two at the range leading up for warm up, based off some of the warm up exercises I have seen in the videos.

If money were no object... well then I'd go to every class I could.

Mike

I'd love to take both Ds... did I just say that... but anyway, that is probably my first week of classes that semester, I can explain away a couple days, but I'd rather not miss my first week of all new classes.

I am planning on doing a pretty intensive day or two at the range leading up for warm up, based off some of the warm up exercises I have seen in the videos.

If money were no object... well then I'd go to every class I could.

Mike

2 Ds is probably the limit as a dude... But you never know.

The only thing I will say is this. I know you've been in mil for a long time, and training is no big deal, but I've found that 3 day classes are a lot of information to try and absorb. Get an action cam, and ask him if you can film teaching portions for your own personal use. Its really the only way to get value for that much money and time.

Ive done it at every big name class Ive invested in

2 Ds is probably the limit as a dude... But you never know.

The only thing I will say is this. I know you've been in mil for a long time, and training is no big deal, but I've found that 3 day classes are a lot of information to try and absorb. Get an action cam, and ask him if you can film teaching portions for your own personal use. Its really the only way to get value for that much money and time.

Ive done it at every big name class Ive invested in

What is the best way to do this if I'm not running with kit? I'm doing pistol pretty much as I would carry. I do plan on taking notes. This is presuming the class hasn't filled up already, I sent in my info while they were away at shot.

I have to imagine more material is covered per day in this class than .mil training, having never been a high speed type myself.

Mike

Last edited:
Contour Roam 2 attached to my ear pro. Around 100$ and comes with mount. Weatherproof right out of box. Ive beat the crap out of it. Super easy, and pretty low profile. You could film a whole days worth of class on the battery. I run mine at 720 P at 60 frames per second and the quality is just fine for what I'm doing

Last edited:
Just got the bill for my deposit so I guess I got a seat. As I expected I also found out my classes start that week, so I will definitely only be taking the D5H rather than the carbine course as well.

Mike

A friend of mine works for sig and takes the classes for free and speaks very highly of them and the instructors.

My Rifle 101 class was half Sig employees, I was like, 'you bastards!' I want a job there.

On a side note, the frangible ammo they use is really cool. You can shoot steel from 10 feet away and only get a little spray of whatever it is (copper?). The instructor demonstrated shooting steel from a foot away.

As I understand it since this will be outdoors it will be ball ammo. At least financially that is what I am planning for.

As I understand it since this will be outdoors it will be ball ammo. At least financially that is what I am planning for.

What I was told this summer is that frang is only for the indoor range. I shot 2 classes, one in doors and one out. Ball ammo outside.

Welcome to the fast lane.

Should probably not have watched that at work, but well worth it! Man, his movements are so smooth. Back to the range with me...
And Haley, from what friends have passed on, is truly creme dela creme amongst trainers, but you definitely need to be at a level where his teachings impact your advanced training, rather than correcting basics and nuances.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I was told this summer is that frang is only for the indoor range. I shot 2 classes, one in doors and one out. Ball ammo outside.

Yeah thats as I understand it as well. Pretty bummed I cant take both the pistol and carbine class though... if only it were a week earlier.

Video is pretty reminiscent of military training. If it doesnt involve a dick reference its not worth learning.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom