• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone own an Ultrasonic Cleaner they use for guns?

DeadEyeDan

NES Member
I’ve thinking about buying one, and was wondering what peoples experience has been? I just cleaned my three Cowboy revolvers and it’s a pain in the ass with all the nooks… remembered a gun shop that offered the service in the past and can’t get the idea of buying one out of my head.

VEVOR 22L Industrial Ultrasonic Cleaner with Digital Timer&Heater 40kHz Professional Ultrasonic Cleaner 110V with Excellent Cleaning Effect for Wrench Tools Industrial Parts Mental Apparatus Amazon product ASIN B083LNXKJKView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083LNXKJK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_M9EWC07X3SZH3WT0QP6X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use one for cleaning brass and have used it a few times for cleaning guns. Works great though I do worry about getting them dried and lubed quickly. They make a lube/solution that supposedly displaces water but I've never tried it.

Many do. This might help you get started. [cheers]

I use one for cleaning brass and have used it a few times for cleaning guns. Works great though I do worry about getting them dried and lubed quickly. They make a lube/solution that supposedly displaces water but I've never tried it.
I usually use the air compressor afterward and spray it down with CLP. Haven't had any issues doing it that way.

I did see a note from someone who made the mistake of letting two parts rub together; completely removed the finish from where they were touching. So if using to clean finished (blued, parkerized, anodized, etc) gun parts, make sure they are separated or only do one at a time.

I've never used one for gun parts but I do use them for cleaning stainless steel parts at work. One time I accidentally left a plated Allen wrench and some bolts that must have had some type of zinc or nickel coating on them and both of them had the finish completely removed after the process. Food for thought

I took a stainless revolver to a local shop when I was in FL for the U/S cleaning. The results were "mehhh". I still had to use my homemade solution for removing lead along with some scrubbing. Might be it works better on the carbon, but not the lead, deposits.

I worry about cavitation abrading coatings. I had a lab grade one with a crap ton of power. it Did a frequency sweep So got into more spaces. But on the higher power settings took off some plastic coatings on an aluminum part. I used the alkanox and citranox detergent for most things if they were inert along with liquinox when I needed a neutral cleaner

great for BCGs. will take paint off, such as the dab of red paint on a safety. but otherwise i've had no problems. hit finished parts with compressed shop air and then spray with lube. don't bother with the oil bath - way too much lube.

A very long time ago I worked for BASF Systems in Bedford as a maintenance machinist. They had bought a carbide die set to punch floppy disks and the company who built it didn’t get all the oil removed before assembly.
Our shop put it in a ultrasonic cleaner and the vibration backed out all the press fit carbide inserts.

Ive never put assemblies into an ultrasonic cleaner.

Used to work at a manufacturing company in Wilmington. Mostly medical Instruments and implants some military and government stuff...

Anyway, our branson U/S clean lines used Alconox detergent. Would test the lines monthly using aluminum foil to show that the transducer was still good. It would put holes in the foil.

We've always been told to not ultrasonic assemblies due to potential issues for entrapment of dirt / oils, and not sure if true...but hydrogen embrittlement .

In my opinion, terrible idea.

An ultrasonic will barely clean primer holes, let alone your entire gun, you will get all the internals wet, it will be a major pain in the a** to have to disassemble the entire gun and dry it, lube it ....

Or, you will have to disassemble and clean the frame, barrel and cylinder only. Disassembling a revolver is not going to be easier than cleaning it the normal way.

Last edited:
Many do. This might help you get started. [cheers]

I dont think it does, read post 16. The dude isn't drying the internals, that revolver will be f*cked in a few years, if it isn't already.

Bad idea to put a firearm in ultrasonic cleaner. It will remove anodizing and other surface treatments. I use the ultrasonic cleaner for specific applications such as cleaning brass. theres no need to remove every piece of carbon from any firearm especially a revolver.

If it’s a collectible I wouldn’t. If it’s not a collectible I would just throw it in the dishwasher/Parts cleaner, or just douche it out wipe it down with some paper towers

I’ve thinking about buying one, and was wondering what peoples experience has been? ...

VEVOR 22L Industrial Ultrasonic Cleaner with Digital Timer&Heater 40kHz Professional Ultrasonic Cleaner 110V with Excellent Cleaning Effect for Wrench Tools Industrial Parts Mental Apparatus Amazon product ASIN B083LNXKJK
I'm just glad you're considering one that cleans Mental Apparatus.
Buy once/cry once.

I haven’t but remember reading posts from some who had finish removed. It’s not worth the risk to me.

OP, spend the 10 minutes it takes to clean each gun and stop the mental gymnastics to be lazy. It will not pay off.

Last edited:
As I've posted in the past I have this one and it works great:

Kendal Commercial Grade 6 Liters 380 Watts Heated ULTRASONIC Cleaner HB-36MHT
Amazon product ASIN B00L9F37JQView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L9F37JQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc

Do not plug it in unless it is filled with water, the heating element is powerful and will burn out.

I just take the slide off my Glock and drop the two parts into it, it cleans shotgun chokes great, and is so powerful it cracked my glasses where the frame attaches :oops:

I worry about cavitation abrading coatings. I had a lab grade one with a crap ton of power. it Did a frequency sweep So got into more spaces. But on the higher power settings took off some plastic coatings on an aluminum part. I used the alkanox and citranox detergent for most things if they were inert along with liquinox when I needed a neutral cleaner
Exactly. Cavitations are like the inverse of explosions. The imploding ultrasonic bubbles do release quite a bit of energy. I’ve seen that in ones as low as typical 40KHz range. You have to find a good balance of temperature, solution and frequency. It’s a testing game at first, on similar nonessentials to find the best settings. Like anything, it has its purpose and operational errors are just that. The device does what it is meant to do and does so very well. Decades of use bare that out. You just need to understand what’s going on and be more informed before destroying stuff. Your microwave can warm your food or set it on fire…know your instrument. Understand the science behind it, which is key to understanding the best range of settings. I just see so many people bash things because they don’t understand it. These are quite impressive in the theory behind it, if you are going to invest in one and put your multi-thousand dollar firearms collection at its use, learning how it operates and what it does can only be a benefit.

People bash them because its very easy to get in trouble with an ultrasonic.

People bash them because its very easy to get in trouble with an ultrasonic.
Forget the trouble, they are a f*cking PITA for a gun. You will spend more time drying the insides and putting it back together than running a few patches and oil.

It is one of those things that while it can be done, it takes so long it doesn't make sense.

Maybe it does make sense for a barrel or frame if you will be cerakoating it.

Create an hour worth of work to save 10minutes.

Back
Top Bottom