Anyone Loading .32 Brass on a Dillon 550B?

Patriot

NES Member
I am having a real difficult time trying to size .32 H&R on my dillon 550b with dillon dies. I
have tried Federal once fired and brand new Starline and it has been a disaster. The amount
of force I have to apply to bring the brass into the sizing die (no other dies in head) is a lot
(a whole lot) more than I have to do with any other caliber. As a result, the brass has any
number of issues with it coming out of the die, not the least of it is that the brass has a
bend in the case. I really don't want to lube but was going to try this next. Anyone else
have any suggestions?

(I realigned my press as well but that wasn't the culprit - did the same thing before and after!)

Could your sizing die be positioned for 32 S&W Long instead of 32 H&R magnum?

I'm not familiar with progressive loaders like Dillon, but I do know for my turret press, the same 32 sizing die needs to be adjusted differently between 32 S&W Long, and 32 H&R magnum.

With my RCBS 32 dies, the sizing die is meant for 32 Long and 32 H&R mag. When sizing 32 H&R mag, the die is backed out substantially from the position needed to size 32 Long.

Could your sizing die be positioned for 32 S&W Long instead of 32 H&R magnum?

I'm not familiar with progressive loaders like Dillon, but I do know for my turret press, the same 32 sizing die needs to be adjusted differently between 32 S&W Long, and 32 H&R magnum.

With my RCBS 32 dies, the sizing die is meant for 32 Long and 32 H&R mag. When sizing 32 H&R mag, the die is backed out substantially from the position needed to size 32 Long.

Thanks for the reply Ray.

There is no distinction between adjusting the sizing die for any of the .32 cartridges. The
shell platform is raised and then you screw in the die until it touches the platform, then you
lock the die down. I really think there is something wrong with the die as there are numerous
brass shavings all around from sizing a dozen pieces of brass. The fact that I am also having
to power the press handle with the force I would apply to a tight wheel nut suggests a
problem with it as well. The inscription on the dies is correct as is all the other components
I an using in the process (conversion kit).

I had a problem with my 550B when loading 32H&R. That was when it first came out and I bought the shell plate kit. I remember when I called Dillon and told them I was using Starline brass, they sent me a different powder funnel/expander. I know that I loaded 1000 rnds. after that with no losses.
I believe I have Lee carbide dies. They are currently mounted on a toolhead. I could confirm them if you want. I had no trouble sizing, it was in the powder drop mode and had something to do with the thickness of the brass as I recall.

I had a problem with my 550B when loading 32H&R. That was when it first came out and I bought the shell plate kit. I remember when I called Dillon and told them I was using Starline brass, they sent me a different powder funnel/expander. I know that I loaded 1000 rnds. after that with no losses.
I believe I have Lee carbide dies. They are currently mounted on a toolhead. I could confirm them if you want. I had no trouble sizing, it was in the powder drop mode and had something to do with the thickness of the brass as I recall.

Thanks BIG GUN. I think I have figured out what the problem is. The sizing/decapping die is
screwed up. When I took out the decapping stem and ran some brass through it, it worked
fine. No hangups, no deformation of the brass, no hernias. I did some measuring and the
brass resized is a .322 dia (all measurements approx). Starline has a .013/.014 wall
thickness vs Federal with a .011/.012 wall thickness. The de-capping nut, which holds
the de-capping stem in measures .324/.325. It comes down to the bottom of the sizing die
with a bevel on it but I think it is too large (thick), comes down too far, and does not get
out of the way of the brass causing the difficulty getting the brass by it in order to size the
case full length. In summary it just don't work the way it is set up.

I haven't even got to the powder funnel / expander yet.

I don't know about Dillon these days. This is about the third or fourth time they have
screwed with me over the last six/twelve months. I upgraded my 550 to a 550B and that took
about six months to get the right parts and then they sent me a defective part on top of it
which took me about three months to convince them what it was. Then I just ordered some
parts from them recently and they just tossed the stuff in a box, no packing material, and a
bottle of case lube got damaged. I wrote them and they didn't even bother to answer. Now
I have this fiasco. Their lifetime warranty stuff must be killing them and they are trying to
end my life early so they don't have to deal with me anymore. This has to be it since it is
the only way I can figure out why I am getting shafted left and right by them lately.

Problem solved...

The problem turned out to be the wrong size nut on the de-capping stem. For the .32
caliber dies there is a custom nut that is smaller. I have the standard nut on mine. They
are going to send me the correct one FOC.

Back
Top Bottom