Anyone know KT1I?

He's running the RTTY WPX contest on 20 meters. He's in Winchendon and he's 50 db over S9 here. Just wondering what he's running -- I have the feeling I'm looking right down the maw of a big Yagi pointed right past me at Europe. He's desensing my receiver 300 KHz away!

I'm tempted to pull the connector out from the back of the tuner and put it across my tongue when he transmits to see if it feels like a 9v battery.

Back when I lived in Newton (in sight of the Needham Towers) I used to rectify the RF off my anenna and used it to charge up NiCads. Yes, you could pick up a fair amount of energy out of the air.

From the Small World Dept -- I just got my new scanner, so I was going through my QSL collection to find some interesting ones for the QSL thread. There's a couple more from the Small World Dept also, but this one goes in this thread.

ka1ife.jpg

I put this one aside because he's in the next town over from where I live now. When the QSO took place I lived in Marlboro. One interesting thing is this QSO, which took place on CW, was on 10 meters, so it was a low signal level ground wave QSO about 10AM local time in the middle of a hot sunspot cycle when 10 would've started to be active at that time, so why us two knuckleheads were bothering with that is beyond me.

Second, on the back of the card, he wrote "Hi Mark -- Thanks for a very enjoyable CW QSO -- need to work up speed -- 73 -- Charlie"

At the time I was at my peak, and doing 50 WPM comfortably, so I think I was helping him with his speed. I was a VE at the time, teaching theory classes, and specializing in teaching CW and "Elmering" people to higher performance on CW. A little research shows that by 1993 he was an Extra with a new call, so I think he was working at getting his speed up to 20 WPM for the Extra test, and I was helping him. I'm not sure how I knew him, but at the time I did a Field Day with the Montachusett ARC, W1GZ, so he was probably a member who I met through that Field Day.

So, long story short -- this is KT1I, who I started this thread about, who was absolutely melting the solder joints on my antenna system a few weekends back.

Last edited:
He's running the RTTY WPX contest on 20 meters. He's in Winchendon and he's 50 db over S9 here. Just wondering what he's running -- I have the feeling I'm looking right down the maw of a big Yagi pointed right past me at Europe. He's desensing my receiver 300 KHz away!

If he is that dirty he has a problem with his setup, but you already knew that I would guess:) I used to run rtty with 1.5kW and never had a problem with a bad signal. Alas I need more space for my amp. Or I could just get a new one.

Back
Top Bottom