• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone know about antique wood decoys?

I just inhereted about 35 antique wooden decoys, and I really dont know too much about them. They all have OLD prices on the bottom of them, that range from $75 to $450. Ill be looking to sell them soon and really dont know much about what to look for or how to price them.

Anyone who knows about antique decoys or knows someone who does, please let me know. Id be very very apreciative.

Thanks,
-Jon

I was looking at some the other day, on the net, and the prices ranged from $250 to $20,000 depending on condition and artistic detail...cha-ching!

Ya I know these things are probably worth quite a bit. I really need someone fairly local who knows about this stuff that can tell me more about them and give me a decent apraisal before I put them up for sale.

I was looking at some the other day, on the net, and the prices ranged from $250 to $20,000 depending on condition and artistic detail...cha-ching!

I believe I saw these on Antiques Roadshow and they do go for quite a penny. Highly collectible right now

Whatever you do, do not take those old price tags off or make any modifications to them. Get two appraisals and do not let the appraisers offer them on your behalf.

Go to this url and send pictures to them. They will give you a quote via email for free.
http://www.guyetteandschmidt.com/
They recently did some work for me and if you try to insure the insurance company will require the appraisal be on the company letter head that costs $100 or more. Decoys have great value if old and depending on the who the maker was it could make you a millionaire overnight. Be very cautious who you tell and the whereabouts of the decoys as they are sought by many.

Sounds like a great find. Value has alot to do with the artist, and to a degree if they are decorative carvings or working rigs. Any Crowell stuff, working or fine detail is highly collectable. There are other desirable local names that escape me at the moment.

If you want, send me a PM, and I can give you the name of an autioneer I did business with a year or so ago, that I thought was trustworthy. He deals with some high end stuff, and is on the upper Cape. He might be able to give you an indication of value, or direct you.

Either way, Good Luck!

Eldreds Auction in Dennis, Ma on the Cape is one of the premier auction houses in the country for decoys.

They have gotten tremendous results in their auctions and are a class act company.

I would contact them for a consultation.

Ask for Erik.

Thanks for all the help and advise guys, Im going back up north next weekend, and will try to take pictures of all of them and contact some of the places you have listed.

Thanks!
-Jon

Back
Top Bottom