Anyone hunt turkey with a muzzleloader?

SAV

Do they make a .50 cal shotshell-like sabot? Or do you just take a good body shot?

They make lots of choices for smoothbore muzzle loaders, that's all my brother uses. Make it a good shot though he missed a 19.5lb tom last year and i knocked it dead before he could reload.

Yes I use a bow, and was lucky with deer. But I don't see myself as a newbie luring a turkey close enough for a decent shot. I did buy 3 decoys, a scratch call, and a mouth call (to free up my hands).

Does anyone do it from a treestand?

Just picked up an Ithaca 51, semi, 12 gauge, 28" full choke. but it might be too nice for the woods!

Last edited:
Yes I use a bow, and was lucky with deer. But I don't see myself as a newbie luring a turkey close enough for a decent shot. I did buy 3 decoys, a scratch call, and a mouth call (to free up my hands).

Does anyone do it from a treestand?

Just picked up an Ithaca 51, semi, 12 gauge, 28" full choke. but it might be too nice for the woods!

Dont do turkeys from a tree stand. A ground blind is more appropriate. I prefer plenty of camo, limited motion, sitting with a large tree at my back, and some concealing bruch around me. I the Ithaca would be fine for Turkeys, I would do a couple of patterning shots first

Thanks for the tips. I bought a seat that straps to any tree. I'll look for natural blinds before I purchase one. I've just started hunting and am spending lots as it is.

Back
Top Bottom