Anyone have primers explode on XL650?

mark2215

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've read stories of the entire stack of primers exploding on the XL650. Today I was loading 45ACP and even though I sort the brass somehow a damn small primer case snuck its way in. The primer exploded, I wasn't even pushing that hard. It was loud and scared the crap out of me but luckily only that one primer went off. My question is, what causes the entire stack to go off? Did I get lucky or is there something else that causes this problem. I would like to avoid this if at all possible.

BTSDOG

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
It’s called sympathetic detonation. The whole stack usually goes because the primers are either touching one another or are so close as to let the detonation shock wave initiate the explosive compound in the other primers. In the case where you were pushing the primer into a case, it was far enough away and shielded from the other primers......

wegman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've read a few accounts of this happening, usually a result of forcing a primer. (So they say...) I took a big piece of 3/4" plywood and screwed it to the joists overtop of my XL650.
I have had a very few SPP's turn sideways in loaded rounds. Found these while gauging my finished rounds. Can't say I felt it when it happened.

gerrycaruso

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
It has happened to me. It blew that plastic rod up through the florescent light and scared the shit out of me. Dillon said to throw the whole priming system away and sent me a new one. It was my own fault for trying to see how fast I could go. I loaded 1200 rounds of 9mm in 1 hour. It was a very dumb thing to do . I don't recommend it.

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I had one pop on me on my 650 (same issue, small primer .45acp case while running large primer cases) and it was a solo pop and not a sympathetic detonation taking out the entire priming tube.

Top Bottom