Anyone had to make a "correction" to a submitted FA-10 form (serial # issue)?

I was cleaning out the safe and decided to get all my paperwork organized. I had them all stuffed in an oversized envelope, but they were not in any sort of order.

I noticed on the receipt of a gun I purchased some time ago had a type-O on the paperwork. The dealer had accidently mistook a "V" in the serial number to be a "U" (ie. "CUxxxxx" instead of "CVxxxxx"). This was both hand written on the receipt and typed into the dealer's FA-10 incorrectly (presumably registering it with the state). Admittedly, the font on the gun is a little difficult to make out at first glance, but a quick check of the box confirms the "U" should be a "V". Am I nitpicking here or is this a serious problem? Is this more the dealer's problem or is it mine? Or both?

Damn, this state has got me paranoid.

I was cleaning out the safe and decided to get all my paperwork organized. I had them all stuffed in an oversized envelope, but they were not in any sort of order.

I noticed on the receipt of a gun I purchased some time ago had a type-O on the paperwork. The dealer had accidently mistook a "V" in the serial number to be a "U" (ie. "CUxxxxx" instead of "CVxxxxx"). This was both hand written on the receipt and typed into the dealer's FA-10 incorrectly (presumably registering it with the state). Admittedly, the font on the gun is a little difficult to make out at first glance, but a quick check of the box confirms the "U" should be a "V". Am I nitpicking here or is this a serious problem? Is this more the dealer's problem or is it mine? Or both?

Damn, this state has got me paranoid.

No registration (not trying to [horse]) in MA so you are not violating any possession laws with the bad paperwork. You can simply a) call Firearms Records Bureau at 617-660-4780 and ask what to do or b) simply register the gun on an FA-10 form and rest comfortably knowing your FA-10 is sitting in a box having never been looked at or scanned and collecting dust with it's cousins, all of our handwritten forms. [laugh] Do keep all of the receipts and forms for that gun though so you can show what happened.
If it was a handgun and you want to transfer it through a FFL in the future, you may want to future proof yourself against any new AG regs and register it using option B.

Just to give an update, I spoke with the record bureau. They said simply have the dealer make the correction so I called them up. They said no problem. Just come on in with the gun and they'll draft up another set of paperwork. Should be fairly easy since they did everything electronically. Better off for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom