Anyone else get out to the range yesterday???

What a day to get out to the range. TungTied and his SO were there... My first time at Sippican... my first time shooting my M-1A.... great weather!!!

102_0592.jpg

Had planned on it to beat the snow today, but am down with a bad cold so stayed in bed all day.

Sho' did. Function check on some firearms after mods: one good, one not so.

FhvnLT4A:

Piece of advice about scoping an M1A: do not skimp on the mount. Get yourself a Smith Enterprises, Sadlak, or ARMS mount.

Smith is currently selling the last of its discontinued mounts with Weaver slots for $125 + shipping, which is a deal. I don't know if they are out of remaining inventory yet.

The Sadlak site has the following info:

'NOTE: Manufacturers of receivers for civilian use (M1A) do not have to adhere to the government GI blueprint specifications and are not inspected using government gages. This has sometimes resulted in poor out-of-spec. machining of the left side Receiver Groove. The groove could be too deep resulting in a looser fitting scope mount or too shallow resulting in left side key on the mount not being able to be fully seated into the groove causing the mount to not rest flush (slightly cocked) against the receiver's left side. A poorly machined receiver groove may or may not work with the scope mount. It depends on the degree the receiver is out-of-spec. If the groove is slightly undersize, the mount will fit poorly, make it difficult to adjust scope to zero, amy cause loss of zero should the mount be removed, and may cause the mount to loosen more easilt. The Left Side Key on the Sadlak Scope Mount is precision machined to just fit into the smallest groove tolerance on a GI M14 rifle. They are machined this precisely for reliable zeroing and positive mounting when purchased by the US Military.'

AND

'Sadlak Industries LLC takes pride in the precision and workmanship of the products we sell. These scope mounts are based on the original Brookfield Precision Tool mounts previously purchased by the military. They are precision machined to fit on any M14(military) or M1A(civilian version of the M14) rifle that has been machined to the original GI specifications. Unfortunately, not all current M1A receiver manufacturers adhere to the GI specifications particularly in the area’s of the stripper clip guide and left side surface and the left side horizontal groove. Older receivers have a better track record. If your M1A receiver is made correctly, this scope mount will fit against your receivers left side perfectly. The key on the inside of the mount will seat into the horizontal groove with only a small amount of play and the inside surface of the mount will rest flush, with no gap or visible light showing, against the machined surfaces on the left side of the receiver. If your mount does not fit this way then your receiver is not within GI specifications.'

I went to the range yesterday but indoor[wink]
We're T&E S&W M&Ps. Been messing with the FS and compact versions of the .45. Also got to shoot one of the guys Kimber.

Back
Top Bottom