Anyone build their own archery target???

Here's a picture of mine. It's 4x2.5 stuffed with old cloths,rags,plastic bags,and foam.
Chicken wired to hold it all in, and a carpeted face.

0cb08d46.jpg

I'm liking the set up, just wondering what type of foan you used. Where did you put the foam, front or rear or both with filler in between.

It's packing foam, and it's stuffed inside with everything else.
I have noticed some softer spots, and it's where the foam is packed.
I guess not tight enough....

Too much money, pluss pulling your arrows out of it might
be a pain in the neck. I can pull my arrows out with just
my fingers. This target cost me $0.00

Here's mine. Dog food bag turned inside out stuffed with a piece of foam in the back with an old comforter piece in front. Have others with clothes,mattress foam,rags,etc....Stops arrows just as good as the store boughts,and the bags are pretty much made of the same woven material

Attachments

• archery target.jpg
    archery target.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 20
I think with the speeds of compound bows,the arrows just
pass through. Works for traditional archery,but not speed bows.
Also when it decomposes, you have a mess!!

Any cardboard box stuffed with rags will allow two finger removal of arrows. Or a burlap sack full of rags to do the same thing and you can throw it around and shoot however you want. Nice job on the target boxer, it will take many shots to wear that out.

Here's mine. Dog food bag turned inside out stuffed with a piece of foam in the back with an old comforter piece in front. Have others with clothes,mattress foam,rags,etc....Stops arrows just as good as the store boughts,and the bags are pretty much made of the same woven material
I missed your post. great job.

I helped make some large archery butts at local rod & gun club many years back: frames were 2"x4" and we put chicken wire around it to hold the cloth in place and have rain covers on top. As it compressed due to age/use, you keep putting more old fabric/clothes on top.

I have stuffed smaller plastic weaved feed bags with old clothes and have used those outside and inside. You can use heavy weight construction plastic & plastic grocery bags, but it doesn't put out as easy as clothes, but the targets are physically lighter in weight.

I think with the speeds of compound bows,the arrows just
pass through. Works for traditional archery,but not speed bows.
Also when it decomposes, you have a mess!!

I was thinking the opposite on the mess part. With hay, it just falls apart, and you rake it up or let it rot into the ground if you're on the edge of the woods. With the blankets and other stuffing, you have stuff that won't decompose, but makes a mess which needs to get cleaned up.

The gets wet and stinks, not good with kids in the back yard.
My "life time target" will last me a life time.(kind of....)
Cloths settle, I just pack in more, re enforce the back with more chicken wire and I'm good for a few more years.

Back when I helped a guy open an archery shop in Hudson NH. he picked up these giant bails of plastic that came from trimming the edge plate for plows. he got it from someplace in Maine. it was awesome because it would stop arrows extremely well but only took a gentle pull to remove them. they were about 3'x3'x6' in size though only down side was the metal bailing straps but if you used it as a target you could avoid those.

Back
Top Bottom