• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone been to a Gander Mountain store?

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
I am currently in Minnesota on a business trip and I am thinking about heading into the one in Eden Prairie. From what I have seen of their gun laws they make Mass look good... Hopefully they will have some nice accessories for Christmas....

There's one about 5 miles from my home. My kids like going on Saturday because the store manager lets people bring puppies (hunting breeds) that they are trying to sell.

they also go an awesome "clearance rack". when a season is over, all that seasons stuff moves over to clearance. I picked up goose decoys for $5 each when goose season ended

I went to one in N.C. The shooting sports section was awesome! Sales associate came over and asked if he could help, I told him where I was from and he chuckled and said I was still welcome to check out anything I liked, even if it wouldn't be legal to own or buy.[grin]

Can't say I've visited a store in-person, but I ordered my Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 online from them. Process was smooth and painless, and everything arrived as I expected.

I went to one in Michigan over the summer while visiting a friend of mine. I thought overall it was a pretty cool store which seemed to have a lot of sales the few times I went there. Wish we had one close by, I would definitely go back.

I visited one of their stores near Buffalo, NY and found the experience it to be somewhere between shopping at Cabelas vs Bass Pro... sort of a mini-Cabelas. While it did have some good gear, there were less choices and a lot of there own brand.

I went to the one in Greensboro, NC last weekend, and they wanted $109 for a UMC Mega Pack of .40 (250 rounds). I don't buy much .40, but I felt that was unreasonable (maybe it's not and someone can set me straight). The Mega Packs tend to be hard to find in stock, so I guess someone's buying them.

The rest of the store was pretty nice, though. Reminded me of a Bass Pro Shop, but smaller.

There are three of them in Virginia and two Bass Pros... no Cabelas. I've been to all of them except for one Gander Mtn way out in western VA that I didn't feel like stopping for.

I visited one of their stores near Buffalo, NY and found the experience it to be somewhere between shopping at Cabelas vs Bass Pro... sort of a mini-Cabelas. While it did have some good gear, there were less choices and a lot of there own brand.
That pretty much nails it.

There's one about two miles from my house. When they opened, they were very competitive. Now, most prices are a joke, especially on their used guns or milsurps.

Ive been to the one in Travis City MI. It was OK. Prices were reasonable. I bought some ammo and other goodies to bring back home with me. I also bought some nice summer shirts which have proven to be of excellent quality and have worn well over the last couple years.
There was a Myer's grocery store next door though. They had better ammo prices. While we were grocery shopping I spied the ammo section and threw a bunch into the cart with the milk, fruit and veggies.
Checkout was awesome. The cashier girl didn't bat an eyelash. No stupid questions. No dumb remarks. Just a "have fun" when we finished.
Oh, to live in a free state.

Interesting store. It was definitely geared for Minnesota. At the entrance there were 5 different models of ice houses available and 8 different ice augers.... Their first floor is similar to a Bass Pro shop, clothes, shoes, camping and fishing. The entire 2nd floor was firearms and hunting. The emphasis was on hunting, shotguns and bolt action rifles prevailed. They did have a pretty nice selection of ammo and handguns. Ammo was expensive, Federal .380 50 pack was $24.99, Federal 420 mini can of .223 65gr was $249.99. I checked out a new S&W 629 with a 6" barrel and it was listed at $919.99 (which I thought was pretty high). The Springfield XDM line was the predominant gun, with 6 -8 different models available. I only saw 4 different Glocks there (17,19,22,23), the Glock 22 was $519.99 w/o night sights. They did have an interesting Beretta 92FS GME that looked like an INOX model with a stainless slide. I asked about it and was told that the GME was "Gander Mountain Exclusive" model produced just for their store.
Long guns were there aplenty, I saw 12 different Remington 700 models (mostly variations in furniture colors and composition). On the AR front I only saw 6 different guns and 3 of them were Bushmaster (A3 model I think) at $1,199.00.
I thought it weird that they didn't have any reloading equipment or supplies at all. They did have a very small section of black powder and .50 cal projectiles (2 four foot shelves). Nice selection of holsters but only 4 were leather, the rest were nylon.
All in all it was a fun 1 1/2 hours wandering around but I did not see anything (other than some nice handguns) that I could not get in Massachusetts.

I am currently in Minnesota on a business trip and I am thinking about heading into the one in Eden Prairie. From what I have seen of their gun laws they make Mass look good... Hopefully they will have some nice accessories for Christmas....

Gander Mountain is basically a smaller BassPro. Still awesome store though. MN has WAY better gun laws than MA! (not that it's hard to do)

Shall Issue
No Permit to Own

Gander Mountain is basically a smaller BassPro. Still awesome store though. MN has WAY better gun laws than MA! (not that it's hard to do)

Shall Issue
No Permit to Own

I was reading that there is a 7 day wait period on a handgun purchase unless you have a permit-to-buy pistol license. That license is may issue and up to the discretion of the local COP. You also need a reason, such as employment or threats against your person. I did a quick search on Minnesota gun laws before I came but maybe I had old info.

Edit: I found the document I had read and it was old (1999) and has been superseded by an updated gun law, they are a Shall Issue state. Here is a snippet.

What are the requirements for getting a permit to carry?
Must be at least 21 years of age
Must complete an application form
Must not be prohibited from possessing a firearm under Minnesota Statute 624.714
Must not be listed in the criminal gang investigation system
Must be a resident of the county from which you are requesting a permit, if you reside in Minnesota. Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff.
Must provide certificate of completed authorized firearms training. Training by a certified instructor and completed within one year of an original or renewal application. (624.714, Subd. 2a)
Permit is valid for a period of 5 years.
Additional training is required to renew

Last edited:
I was reading that there is a 7 day wait period on a handgun purchase unless you have a permit-to-buy pistol license. That license is may issue and up to the discretion of the local COP. You also need a reason, such as employment or threats against your person. I did a quick search on Minnesota gun laws before I came but maybe I had old info.

Edit: I found the document I had read and it was old (1999) and has been superseded by an updated gun law, they are a Shall Issue state. Here is a snippet.

What are the requirements for getting a permit to carry?
Must be at least 21 years of age
Must complete an application form
Must not be prohibited from possessing a firearm under Minnesota Statute 624.714
Must not be listed in the criminal gang investigation system
Must be a resident of the county from which you are requesting a permit, if you reside in Minnesota. Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff.
Must provide certificate of completed authorized firearms training. Training by a certified instructor and completed within one year of an original or renewal application. (624.714, Subd. 2a)
Permit is valid for a period of 5 years.
Additional training is required to renew

Ya I was going by the Travelers Guide to the Firearms laws (last years). If you've never owned one they rate each state from 0-100 with 0 being Total Prohibition and 100 being Total Freedom. MN is a 72, while MA is a 12. Good Books to have!

Back
Top Bottom