• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anybody know about Crossbows?

wizdoc2006

NES Member
I recently messed up my shoulder and can no longer hunt with the bow. My doctor is filling out a crossbow application for me. I know nothing about crossbows. For the past 7 years I have hunted archery with a Mathews Outback and loved it , taken a few nice deer with it. Does anyone have any crossbow input? Pros and Cons of treestand hunting with a crossbow. What brands and models are good?

I don't know jack about crossbows, other than I want to get one of these to put on a polymer lower.

[smile]

f859ee512e804f970349bfd90e3d56b0.jpg

I don't know jack about crossbows, other than I want to get one of these to put on a polymer lower.

[smile]

f859ee512e804f970349bfd90e3d56b0.jpg
I did check into the pse tac 15. Pro's: Looks Bad ass fits onto an ar lower, I have a bushmaster xm15 that would do nicely. Cons : the price about $1200. I think 1200 will buy a pretty awesome package. also the upper portion looks a little long. Just my opinion , however I have not seen one in person or gotten any feedback from anyone who ownes one.

Archery shop in Middleboro..... Reedy's. Talk to ther guys there. My brother is going though the same type of issue with his shoulder. He went there and they took good care of him.

Good crossbow isn't cheap.

C

I recently messed up my shoulder and can no longer hunt with the bow. My doctor is filling out a crossbow application for me. I know nothing about crossbows. For the past 7 years I have hunted archery with a Mathews Outback and loved it , taken a few nice deer with it. Does anyone have any crossbow input? Pros and Cons of treestand hunting with a crossbow. What brands and models are good?

I have been hunting with a crossbow in both Mass and Connecticut for the last 5 years and I will be happy to help you out and answer any questions you have.

Below is a link to the crossbow permit form for Connecticut if you are interested:

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/hunting_trapping/forms_applications/crossbow.pdf

Both applications require a doctors certification so you might as well get them signed at the same time. Connecticut has a regs package that is currently under review which (if passed and it is expected to pass) will allow crossbows for all. You can read about it here: DEEP: Notice of Intent to Amend Hunting and Trapping Regulations and Hold a Public Hearing

There are some things to keep in mind when it comes to crossbows:

1. Go to Cabelas or Basspro and shoot everything you can get your hands on. It is going to be a totally new world to you and how a crossbow fits you is everything. You will know what you like.

2. You need to figure out how you are going to handle a cocked crossbow a the end of your hunt. Many people just throw a target and a practice arrow in the truck and shoot it off. Some carry a sacrificial arrow in their quiver and shoot it into the ground. This is problematic in Connecticut but I will get to that later.

3. Mass has no arrow weight/ poundage/ limb width requirements regarding crossbows. Connecticut does so it matters what you buy if you plan on hunting Connecticut. I will explain more later.

4. Crossbows are noisy compared to the verts. Some are noisier than others. You will be surprised if you have never shot one. The deer I have shot don't seem to mind the noise. though.[laugh] I never shoot mine at the end of the hunt from my stand. I only shoot from my stand if I am shooting at a deer. Crossbows are loud and there is no sense educating the deer.

5. Crossbows are heavy and cumbersome in the woods. I typically shoot mine from a rest of some sort. I use a monopod or the shooting rail on my Summit Goliath.

6. DFI (Dry Fire Inhibitor) Most, not all, have a DFI today. For the most part crossbows do not dry fire well. DFI's mean that the safest (according to some people anyway) way to "uncock" the crossbow at the end of the hunt is to fire it.

6. There are two basic types of crossbows. There are compound crossbows and recurve crossbows. I have an Excalibur Exocet which is a 200 lb recurve crossbow. Recurve crossbows are wider, typically noisier, but they are easier to maintain and less subject to failure (less moving parts) than the compound crossbows IMO. I like my recurve as I can do almost any maintenance I need without needing a crossbow press. I keep a spare string and the string changer in the truck so If I need to change my string in the field I can.

There is some great videos here on Excalibur Crossbows:
Excalibur Crossbow Instructional Videos

In Mass it is pretty straightforward. Get the permit and get the crossbow you want. When you are done hunting uncock it with the cocking aid and walk out, or walk back to the truck and shoot it into a target at the truck.

I specifically bought an Excalibur Crossbow because you can "uncock" it using the cocking rope. It is a snap and only takes a few seconds. Watch the video on how to uncock your crossbow. One of the things you will learn pretty quick is that if you are not hunting it is much easier to walk with an "uncocked" crossbow than it is when it is cocked.

A cocked crossbow is very cumbersome inthe woods and you should never put any digits in the string path. People have actually lost the tip of their thumb by holding the forearm incorrectly. I have been nipped a couple of times, I am a slow learner apparently, and I will say that it smarts. Even a nip will leave a blood blister and take a good chunk of the nail.

Time to talk about Connecticut. This is the way the current regulations are in Connecticut:

Minimum arrow weight is 450g.
Maximum draw weight is 200lbs.
A cocked crossbow (whether or not there is an arrow on the rail) is considered a loaded weapon and being in the woods with a loaded weapon means that you are hunting.
Hunting in Connecticut ends at sunset NOT SS + 30 like it is in Mass.

This is why I bought an Excalibur. At sunset I just take the arrow off the rail and I "uncock" the crossbow and walk out of the woods.

Some of these regulations regarding arrow weight and possibly draw weight are likely to change in the new regs package but they have not changed yet. You might want to contact DEEP in Connecticut before you decide on what crossbow you are going to purchase if you have any interest in bow hunting Connecticut.

I hunt in my Summit Goliath with my Excalibur crossbow without any issues. I set the seat as low as it will go and I use the rail as a brace to shoot. Usually I cock my crossbow on the ground and I pull it up cocked (no arrow on the rail).

I can and have "cocked"/"uncocked" the crossbow in the stand. Once shooting light is gone I often "uncock" the crossbow and then I let it down. Crossbows are loud; you rarely get a second shot. They can be re-cocked in the tree but it takes a little practice.

As far as brands go you will be fine if you stick with the major brands. Excalibur, Tenpoint, Parker, etc. Barnett's reputation is a little lagging and IIRC they only warranty their xbows for 5 years while others are lifetime to the original owner. Bowtech has had some limb problems in the recent past. My dad has a Parker Terminator and he has been happy with it.

There is a pretty active crossbow forum on archery talk. Lots of good info and good people.

Before you decide to buy talk to David at Wyvern Creations. He is a wealth of information and he has great customer service and very competitive pricing.
Wyvern Creations, Modern Crossbows and Accessories

I hope that you find this useful.

Bob

Connecticut has a regs package that is currently under review which (if passed and it is expected to pass) will allow crossbows for all. You can read about it here: DEEP: Notice of Intent to Amend Hunting and Trapping Regulations and Hold a Public Hearing

I checked with an Encon Officer and his interpretation was the same as mine. meaning that, the 450g minimum arrow weight is going to be removed but the 200lb draw weight maximum will stay in force. Also, the loaded crossbow regulation change would mean that a crossbow would not be considered loaded unless there was an arrow on the rail as opposed to the current definition that a cocked crossbow is considered a loaded weapon whether an arrow is on the rail or not.

As always things can change before the regs go into effect but that is where it stands at present.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom