Anybody interested in a cannon shoot?

really dumb question but in the picture, "brassy" has no stand and it also looks like it has a handle on it... you dont hold it while you fire it right????

i saw it an thought of pirates of the caribbean movie when the little guy shoots some kind of hand cannon and goes flying backwards.

I'm ready. Well, if the shoot is in Mass someone else will have to fire them, as I haven't gone through the cannoneer's process yet.

(They're both shined up since the pictures were taken)

brassones.jpg

really dumb question but in the picture, "brassy" has no stand and it also looks like it has a handle on it... you dont hold it while you fire it right????

i saw it an thought of pirates of the caribbean movie when the little guy shoots some kind of hand cannon and goes flying backwards.

Brassy is meant to shoot straight up, which encourages the cannoneer not to shoot substantial projectiles.

If you even could hold Brassy long enough to fire her, the blast would rupture your eardrums even with protection and you surely would go flying.

Little Guy can shoot horizontally, if anyone has some appropriate sized shot...

Brassy is meant to shoot straight up, which encourages the cannoneer not to shoot substantial projectiles.

If you even could hold Brassy long enough to fire her, the blast would rupture your eardrums even with protection and you surely would go flying.

Little Guy can shoot horizontally, if anyone has some appropriate sized shot...

I will make a mold and cast the shot myself if you are bringing the cannon out. I made a mold for my cannon, I'm sure I can make one for yours. I get lead from a tire shop I work at, and I have plenty enough to make some cannon balls.

I will make a mold and cast the shot myself if you are bringing the cannon out. I made a mold for my cannon, I'm sure I can make one for yours. I get lead from a tire shop I work at, and I have plenty enough to make some cannon balls.

My notes say the bore is 0.75", but I'll mike it tonight to make sure. I would think the ball should be a little smaller and use a cloth patch to make the difference.

My notes say the bore is 0.75", but I'll mike it tonight to make sure. I would think the ball should be a little smaller and use a cloth patch to make the difference.

Just let me know and I'll get them made. I'll figure out how much clearance mine have and just copy that. I use t-shirt wad and it has worked well. I really can't make a "ball", more of a maxi-ball of sorts. But it's coming out of a cannon anyway, does it really matter as long as it comes out the barrel!?
Just send me the exact bore dimensions and I'll get the lead going.
Kenny

I like big boom. I'd be in for a shoot so long as there is a nice bunker nearby in the event of a...uh....malfunction.

I like big boom. I'd be in for a shoot so long as there is a nice bunker nearby in the event of a...uh....malfunction.

Seabrook range has a bunch of huge concrete manhole tunnel junction pieces that are plenty big enough to hide in or behind. I feel that they are plenty safe, as they are 100 yards back.

Thought I would add some pics of my friends cannon in to the thread.
IMG_1524.jpg

And each shot (he fires it empty, because who knows where those golf balls went)
takes five 35mm film cannisters of this...
IMG_1525.jpg

It takes no time at all to go through a pound of powder, only 3 shoots, he says it's like doing drugs, an expensive habit and hard to look at it or talk about it without doing it, lol.

The barrel is from a hydraulic cyclinder of a fork lift. He has someone at a manufacturer that gets him the drops of the material. So that's actually chromed. I just got back from his camp. He's on a small lake and man, let me tell ya, when it goes off it's awsome. Once it goes, you can wait about 3 seconds for the boom and crack to echo out across the lake. Funny thing is, everytime he shoots it off, there are new people at the camp that freak out, you know "holy shit, you better hide it before the cops show up!" types. They never show, and he doesn't even need worry about the people around the lake complaining either, because he traded a cannon for a row boat to the president of the lake association, ha ha ha. So when one gets fired, usually withing 5 minutes, the other answers on the other side of the lake. Good stuff.

I am going to go get a big old hydraulic cylinder real soon! I thought that would work, but wasn't sure. That is truly awesome! I have a few friends that are always crying about cops when I shoot my cannon, even at the range. I am so sick of hearing it. The cops told me it's legal and I can shoot it anywhere I can shoot a firearm, but they are cry-babies every time. It is kind of funny at times. A couple guys came walking down to the range and a few of my friends ran off into the woods because they thought it was the cops coming. I laughed for a long time on that one!

I am going to go get a big old hydraulic cylinder real soon! I thought that would work, but wasn't sure. That is truly awesome! I have a few friends that are always crying about cops when I shoot my cannon, even at the range. I am so sick of hearing it. The cops told me it's legal and I can shoot it anywhere I can shoot a firearm, but they are cry-babies every time. It is kind of funny at times. A couple guys came walking down to the range and a few of my friends ran off into the woods because they thought it was the cops coming. I laughed for a long time on that one!

Hydraulic cylinders were the tried and true way to line a cannon barrel. A cast brass barrel would be drilled and a hydraulic cylinder with the breech welded closed would be centered in the brass bore. It will take enormouse pressures.

Back
Top Bottom