• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anybody Collect Automatics? Side Opening / OTF

I like old school Microtechs, Vero Beach era. Had a bunch of them but sold them all years ago to buy titanium and carbon fiber for one of my motorcycles, plus not being able to legally carry them was also a factor :) Can legally carry a gun, but not an automatic knife lol

I have a few newer Microtechs, nothing to brag about because they are easy to get.

Anybody have some pics of old school MT blades, or any other rare auto's that I can drool over?

i dabble in them. won't buy those mega expensive microtechs though, just a name tosser to impress much like sebenza. there's plenty of decent otf offerings out there ~100 bucks that are just as good as a microtech...if not better. i hate that otf rattle the blade makes on otf's. it's un-nerving on a blade you just paid $300-400 for but it's the nature of the beast. i recently picked up a few tacknives otf's. i posted pics when i got them. paid $89 for one and $100 for the other. i bought the big 4"+ blades. i was really surprised by how tight they were when deployed. they say they take better care fitting their more expensive lines. i'm a believer. super tight when deployed. i have a mini drop point otf of theirs and i am impressed with that. that was 89 bucks. i carry their 4" dagger. i got both sides razor sharp. lastly, i'm making noises about getting the same knives in the medium size 2 3/4" blade size. curious if they are as tight. of course they have a budget line as well and that stuff is loose. but the shit is no different than any other cheap knife...assembled in u.s.a. with foreign parts. they just take more care assembling than most. and we're not kidding anybody. most of these knives are microtech clones...but thankfully not branded microtech like the chinese shit.

i have several italian type stiletto sb knives. frank b's, skm and the like. playtoys really, but fun to deploy and watch peoples faces. i'm looking at the russian knives now, stuff made in ukraine and that area. i'm liking the side opening lever locks. but hard to get. relatively inexpensive, coming in at ~$150, but for some really nice work though. someone recently gave me a 9" skm made in italy stiletto switch blade. some kind of dark brown bone...dunno...nothing very expensive when new, 100-125 bucks. it's really a sweet little sb. i'm surprised at the quality really. spring is so tight it'll break your finger if it gets in the way when you deploy the blade. fun.

thats all for now really.

I have posted these before but...
Top: Latama Bayonet with abalone scales 11"
Bottom: RPK (Russian Prison Knife) Ukrainian take on an Italian design. Neat but uses a wound spring so it's a bit weird. 10 3/4"
20230220_181837.jpg
Top: Campolin 13" Bayonet and horn
Bottom: Latama Dagger 11"
20230220_181657.jpg
Have one of these as well: Buck 110 Auto. Very well made IMHO.
0110BRSA-B.jpg
I had another RPK but the scales looked white in the pics but ended up being very pink. Gave that one to my Daughter and she liked it. Now she has me on the hook for a Buck as she needs a working knife (she landscapes and designs sustainable gardens). The RPKs are cool but more novelty than quality.

I have a few. The Halo is a knockoff but it’s cool as hell. My terrible photography skills make it look much less massive 😂

86D1E597-A3C7-4B80-98F2-6AC12043B713.jpeg

My small collection.

Brand new.
1990s manufactured Buck Woodard Custom Combat Auto Knife.
1990s manufactured Benchmade 9000S AFO knife.

1980s The Edge Company kit knives. 1 OTF. 1 Pull leather strap side open.
China knock off of the Italian style knife.

A original catalog from one of the first auto knife dealers from late 80s and 90s.
Phil's Fine Cutlery Las Vegas, NV. Saw him at many blade and gun shows in Las Vegas, in those days.

Attachments

• 20230506_170250.jpg
    20230506_170250.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230506_170815.jpg
    20230506_170815.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230507_180532zzz.jpg
    20230507_180532zzz.jpg
    801.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have a few. The Halo is a knockoff but it’s cool as hell. My terrible photography skills make it look much less massive 😂

View attachment 749246
I just found out last week that Halo’s got discontinued a few years ago? It’s like the Holy Grail of OTF’s. I wish I had bought at least one when they were still like 500.00-600.00, just couldn’t justify it at the time and now they’re probably worth 3x that out in the wild.

That clone looks legit, did you know it was fake before you bought it? I would buy one of those for cheap these days, it looks cool as hell.

I just found out last week that Halo’s got discontinued a few years ago? It’s like the Holy Grail of OTF’s. I wish I had bought at least one when they were still like 500.00-600.00, just couldn’t justify it at the time and now they’re probably worth 3x that out in the wild.

That clone looks legit, did you know it was fake before you bought it? I would buy one of those for cheap these days, it looks cool as hell.
Yes, I knew and it’s not bad at all. I went for one of the pricier knockoffs. Was probably around $60 if I remember

Yes, I knew and it’s not bad at all. I went for one of the pricier knockoffs. Was probably around $60 if I remember
After I saw your post I started googling around for them. I couldn’t believe how many were out there. Never crossed my mind to look for a clone but they do look pretty cool and still out there for 60.00-ish on the slow boat from China and 125.00 out of Miami.

What do think the blades are actually made of? I know they say Elmax or D2 but I doubt that, does it look or feel like cheap pot metal in person?

After I saw your post I started googling around for them. I couldn’t believe how many were out there. Never crossed my mind to look for a clone but they do look pretty cool and still out there for 60.00-ish on the slow boat from China and 125.00 out of Miami.

What do think the blades are actually made of? I know they say Elmax or D2 but I doubt that, does it look or feel like cheap pot metal in person?
I have no idea what it is but it seems so be a decent steel. Had it for a few years now and it’s still sharp as hell and looks great. Not a ton of use but I bust it out now and then.

I have no idea what it is but it seems so be a decent steel. Had it for a few years now and it’s still sharp as hell and looks great. Not a ton of use but I bust it out now and then.
Nice. Thanks for the info!

Been collecting for a while, have about 40 in the collections including Italians like my Walts picklock. More modern include Microtech's, Piranha, Gerber, Pro Tech, Etc. Photo is one of my Microtech Troodon, but I also have 2 Combat Troodon's, one has a purple-colored handle that I purchased from BHQ in 2013.

Attachments

• SDC15607.JPG
    SDC15607.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom