Is this a collectible Buck?

So, All American made Buck knives are "collectable". That said, yours may be worth a little more than a non-limited production knife
but, I don't think it is going to fetch much more.

There is a Buck Collector's Club, and they may have a better idea of its "worth" on the collecting end.
Home - Buck Collectors Club

Personally, I'd throw it in my front right pocket every morning and take it out every night... YMMV

~Matt

Did a little surfing...

If your Etched blade is stamped "703" I found this on a blade forum, from the beginning of 2004:

"Your knife is one of the Aurum etched 700 models. These knives were introduced starting in early 1980 (the 703 was the first model produced, incidentally) and each featured a deep etch of the appropriate horses or pony to match each model's name.
The knife in your picture only shows one blade but I suppose it is because the angle keeps the other two blades from being seen. By the way, only the 701, 703, 705 and 709 models were included in this run. The 704 was not manufactured until 1982.
A fairly complete article on the 700 series is in the June 2003 BCC newsletter."

and this reply:

"Thanks for the information. Levine's Guide, 5th edition, lists the 703 (Colt) as issued in 1978 and the 701 Mustang, 709 Yearling and 705 Pony as 1979. There are also 501,110,112, 402,and 401 listed as Game Scenes (Aurum). Is Aurum the artist? Any idea as to present value of the 703?

Thanks again, Mxy"

~Matt

That's a cool Buck- I like it. No idea of worth.

Still have my Buck folding hunter purchased with lawn mowing money circa 1978.

I still could not scrounge up enough money as a kid in 78 to buy a real buck. I had to settle for a Chinese knock off.

Fortunately I now have a real buck 110

IMHO , everyone should own at least 1 real buck knife of some kind.

Speaking of the venerable Buck 110, have any of you guys seen the quick-draw type sheaths. I first encountered them in Arizona in 1985 when I was at Harley school.
They ride horizontally on the belt and open & lock the knife with one pull. The bikers would wear them on the small of the back and could brandish them in a blink.
Haven't seen one since until I just did a search on the web a moment ago...

iu

iu

iu

iu

Did a little surfing...

If your Etched blade is stamped "703" I found this on a blade forum, from the beginning of 2004:

"Your knife is one of the Aurum etched 700 models. These knives were introduced starting in early 1980 (the 703 was the first model produced, incidentally) and each featured a deep etch of the appropriate horses or pony to match each model's name.
The knife in your picture only shows one blade but I suppose it is because the angle keeps the other two blades from being seen. By the way, only the 701, 703, 705 and 709 models were included in this run. The 704 was not manufactured until 1982.
A fairly complete article on the 700 series is in the June 2003 BCC newsletter."

and this reply:

"Thanks for the information. Levine's Guide, 5th edition, lists the 703 (Colt) as issued in 1978 and the 701 Mustang, 709 Yearling and 705 Pony as 1979. There are also 501,110,112, 402,and 401 listed as Game Scenes (Aurum). Is Aurum the artist? Any idea as to present value of the 703?

Thanks again, Mxy"

~Matt
Thanks for doing that research for me; it's a 703 blade. I'm not looking to sell it; I want to give it to my son some day. I just don't want to give it to him and find him trying to stick the blade into a fence post from 7 paces.
Thank you again Enbloc

Speaking of the venerable Buck 110, have any of you guys seen the quick-draw type sheaths. I first encountered them in Arizona in 1985 when I was at Harley school.
They ride horizontally on the belt and open & lock the knife with one pull. The bikers would wear them on the small of the back and could brandish them in a blink.

iu

iu

iu

iu

Neat, reminds me of the emerson wave. If you've ever seen someone pull a knife that fast it really makes you rethink the 21' rule.

Thes 7 series special edition buck knives are pretty rare, but being bucks they're not going to be worth alot right now. Good knife to keep nice and pass down.

i've seen several types before over the years but not as nice as the one pictured. you own that one, no?

No, never owned one of them but when I was in school a lot of the guys had them. There was a leather shop north of Phoenix where they made them by hand and they looked even nicer than the one in the photos I ripped from the net. I haven't seen one in person since then. I thought they might be a "regional" thing...

iu

iu

iu

iu

I had a couple of variations of this sheath during the mid to late 80's. They were pretty cool, but the brass piece the blade would run on would dull the blade after awhile. Still they were well made and had the cool factor. Can't deny that I but a few pockets by mistake over the time I used them though LOL.

iu

iu

iu

iu

I have a similar version of this, got it years and years ago, can’t even remember where now.

It’s a hard plastic skeletonized version, leather belt loop, rides vertically only, and has a thumb screw that loosens so you can move the bottom “jaw” up and down to fit different size knives. Works fairly well from what I remember but stopped using it when pocket clips were invented (aging myself? lol).

I’ll try to dig it out later today if I have time and post some pics.

Now I'm thinking what a Buck 110 or 112 would be like with a sturdy pocket clip...?

I was just thinking, now that Summer is here and my handgun usually resides in the pocket where I clip my knife, if I should start carrying my knife on the belt again. I'm guessing that it would scare the sheep, but who cares? All I have is the standard thick leather pouches, I may have to do some searching for something a little dressier. Why did we stop belt carrying knives, anyway? I used to have a Barlow on my belt as a kid.
I don't know about a pocket clip for the Buck, but what DID do was stick a small piece of skateboard tape over the nail nick so that my thumb has purchase to open one handed. Works just as fast as any of my knives with the little doohickey on the blade.

Yep. Season changes means new EDC considerations. No one bats an eye at a leatherman sheath, and it doesn't only hold leathermans... [wink]
Lot of nice folders fit in there.
Skateboard tape is a great idea. Grippy as hell...on both sides.

I still could not scrounge up enough money as a kid in 78 to buy a real buck. I had to settle for a Chinese knock off.

Fortunately I now have a real buck 110

IMHO , everyone should own at least 1 real buck knife of some kind.
The buck 110 folder is the only knife I've ever actually "carried". I got it as a gift in 1993 when I graduated from UMASS with my BS in forestry. it is now 25 years old..........still tight as a drum.......shows wear on the brass bolsters......but the locking blade holds as tight as a fixed blade just like it did the day I got it. It has been with my through two deployments to Iraq........been with me every time I've been in the field hunting......field dressed many deer and countless rabbits, snow shoe hare, turkey, squirrels and pheasant. I've used only that one knife. I'll keep it as long as I'm breathing then my son will have it. If you are the type to have only one knife the buck 110 will suit you well for just about anything. In my time in the Army I got many a question from the younger guys about why I carry such an old knife.......they were all carrying tacticool assisted opening knives that cost a hundred or hundreds of dollars. For about $40-$50 a buck 110 will last a lifetime.

my 110 has two large nicks in the brass bolster. Story behind that.......years ago when I was a newlywed.........I heard some banging in the kitchen.......went in to see what was going on......my beautiful new bride was using my 110 to bang in some nails to put up curtain rods! Damn woman.....that's what hammers are for! Jeez!!!!

Last edited:
I just picked up an American-Made Buck 110 at Walmart, Chelmsford for $27.97 +tax to have as a back up...
They had 4, but now they have 3. [smile]

Compared it to my 1980's Buck and it was nearly identical. The new one had a nicer grain on the wood scales...[grin]
Factory blade sharpness was around 7 (1-10, ten being best) and was well sharp enough to use straight out of the package.
The black leather sheath was made in Mexico but was made very well and had a positive snap with rivets terminating on the sew lines.
No complaints for this under-$30 classic knife, out-the-door.

Wood grain similar to this, but the dark area is much thinner and runs diagonal across the scale:
img-buck-110-01.jpg

img-buck-110-05.jpg
iu

I did a Google search on Walmart/Buck inferior quality? and found this on Blade Forums. (great forum BTW...) BladeForums

"I used to run a small chain of sporting goods stores and because Walmart and others were able to undersell the smaller retailers, the rumor started going around that they sold inferior products. However, it was only an Urban Legend. 1] In fact, often Walmart would sell products cheaper than the dealers could buy them from the wholesalers. Walmart is notorious for requiring special pricing from manufacturers, which manufacturers often found themselves suffering from as a result. 2] It is not in the best interest of ANY manufacturer to cut corners on their products as more people become familiar with them through the venue of stores like Walmart. 3] Often, people would buy from WM and come into our stores to trade for something else. Unless it was special made from WM, we could not tell the difference. Walmart does get products made to different specifications, such as wooden stocks, etc. but they also get the normal products. –DocT 11-02-14"

More...Thread #3

I may go back for the rest...

~Matt

Last edited:
The Buck 110 is a locking blade knife. It does not use the common "liner-lock" type though, in which the thumb pushes the serrated liner over allowing the blade to fold closed.
Buck's lock is on the heel of the knife and still requires a thumb to depress it before closure can occur. This type of lock release is called a "Lock-back" because the release is on the back of the spine near the heel. It can be seen here in the lower/left corner of the knife.

img-buck-110-05.jpg

5-common-types-of-locking-knives

Save the 703 and give it to him when he is over 24 yrs old. Hopefully your son will appreciate it and take are of it.

I purchased a silver bolstered Buck 112 that was Ducks Unlimited series flyway knife for $40 at a local knife show about 15+ yrs back. Decided not to use it and sold it on EBay for $125! I was hoping to break even. LOL. Shortly after that other DU versions came on but didn’t get over $75? Sometimes you get lucky.

My Buck 112 Ranger is over 35 yrs old. Regular hunter 110 was too big for me and so I always liked the 112. Crazy what people are willing to pay for something they want.

I use cheaper Bucks around the house because they are workers. Easy to touch up. No biggie if I have to use the end as a hammer. I pick up the Bucklights when I see them for < $25. They have plastic handles with the 110 or 112 blades - great when you want something lighter in your pocket.

YMMV.

Also, as an FYI

The newer 110 leather knife sheaths have a flat belt strap on the back of them, and carry the knives a little different and tighter to a belt.
buck00110SH-sheath02.jpg

The older loop knife sheaths are (IMHO) better, and hard to find.
th

So if you prefer the loop sheath, and you are able to find one = grab it.

Some information for those that are not already familiar with the BUCK knife date codes:

I was gifted a Buck knife by an uncle who used to be a teacher in the Boston school system. He had confiscated many weapons over his career and this one in particular was taken from a particularly unruly student. The way he tells it, he had to wrestle this punk on the classroom floor getting it away from him. It dates to 1985 I think? If I remember to go find it next time I'm in my gun room I'll post a pic.

Back
Top Bottom